Official Best Games For Sega Genesis

generalnmx

Playful/Fascist Mod
Website
www.matts-hosting.com
Also known as "Megadrive", this is yet another Official Best Games topic! Post your favorities along with a short description (aka blurb) or a link to one! The game's compatibility with current GP32 emulators would also be a welcome addition. All "Best Games" topics for Sega Genesis will be merged into this thread.

Man! Wheres the Genesis Love? <_< all SNES stuff, geez!

Anyway, here are a few of my FAV Genesis games!!!

Sonic 2 - the best selling 16 -bit game of all time. What else needs to be said?

Gunstar Heroes - Awesome side shooter, treasure goodness

Contra Hardcorps - Best in the series, easily beating alien wars (IMHO)

Garfield Caught in the act - fun, and addicting platformer by sega

Panorama Cotton - One of my top 5 fav games. Best gfx on GEN, plays like afterburner, except with Cotton madness! Seriously, look this one up!

Raiden Trad - Raiden, on GEN!

Phantasy Stars - The best of RPG youll get on GEN

Dynamite Heady - more treasure goodness, fun and deep platformer

all sonics - the best side scrollerss for the genesis.
ghouls n ghosts - another great side scroller. way better than the snes version
megaman wily wars mm1, 2 and 3 in 1!
the wonderboy games yet more great side scrollers
and rocket knight adventures yet another other great side scroller :D

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best of the Sonics, not Sonic 2 imo (now flame on :p ). Shame it doesn't work on the GP, as far as I know.

Sonic 1 is not really that good, IMO... it's decent, but it's also tedious at times.

Sonic Pinball is very good, though. Definitely give it a try! :)

Also, Phantasy Star 2 is a pretty damn awkward game. The camera lags behind the player so you can't even see where you're going most of the time, AND the dungeons are very confusing. NOT fun. <_<

If you're looking for the hardest game you'll ever play, look no further than Ecco the Dolphin. Pretty, and insanely hard. :D (ARGHH... I cannot jump over the wall...!!)

Super Hang On is a fun motorcycle racing game.

Ren and Stimpy is an amazingly fun platformer, as is Garfield Caught in the Act. B)

Road Rash is not worth all the hype it received in its time. Get the Game Gear version; it's much better!

Vectorman 2- sooo much better than the first one
Pulseman- a little easy but really good
all the sonics- I grew up with these games
Doom Troopers The mutant chronicles- The most goriest game for the time but amazing play it.

Shane Warne Cricket - as playable as any modern day cricket game

Hellfire - takes a while to get used to, but a great shooter with great sound

Revenge of Shinobi - great, need I say more?

Vectorman - amazing gfx and solid gameplay

Jennifer Capriati Tennis - don't let its ordinary looks decieve you - plays a lot like FInal Match Tennis on PC Engine - great rallies!

IMG International Tour Tennis - surprisingly good, even if it is an EA game :p

Battle Squadron - insanely hard, but insanely good shooter

Mega Turrican - Turrican doesn't get much better

Thunderforce 3 - true Genesis greatness

There's plenty more. FGen and Gigadrive should keep us all busy for years :D

Micheal Jacksons Moonwalker- SHAMONE!!!! kiss my bad self! this is a good game and a unique gaming experiance.

Zero Wing - what you say!!! i say its a funny translation!!!!

cannon fodder- a good game.

alien storm - found by accident, good game.

I've had no luck emulating megadrive snow bros on the Gp32 yet :(

Golden Axe stands out for me on the megadrive... first game I test when a new emulator comes out

I am surprised it has not been mentioned yet, but SHADOWRUN would be my personal choice for best Genesis game. Having played both the Genesis and SNES versions, I felt the Genesis version was far more robust and engrossing. The only other game that was able to capture my fancy as much would be X-PERTS.

MicroMachines 96 - The best Micro Machines game ever made.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - Sure, it may look like shit, but it plays much better than the SNES version, which is really sluggish at times.
Ecco 1 and 2 - First one has been mentioned already, second one hasn't. Fucking hard.
Aladdin - Shits all over the pathetic SNES version. Made by Shiny, same guys who created Earthworm Jim. Probably the best disney game ever made.
NBA Jam/NBA Jam TE - Best arcade basketball game ever. A blast to play.

Kid Chameleon.

12 years later, and I still haven't beaten it :lol:

ToeJam and Earl Series:

A great series of 2 games. The first game is a top down treasure hunt where you can play with a friend or alternate in single player. The second game is a side-scroller with nice graphics and has fun music, great gameplay but I never got to beat it. A great series.

Jurassic Park Series:

The first game is a sidescroller which has you killing dinosaurs as Grant and killing Humans and other dinosaurs as a Velociraptor. The second game has the same character choises but has a much bigger variety of levels, weapons and enemies. The last game (The Lost World: Jurassic Park) was the best one and came on a 4mb cartridge, it was a top-down shooter which took place outdoors and it was 2 players. You could drive in Vehicles (Trucks, a hovercraft) and you would get a bonus if you don't kill but tranquilise your enemies insted in form of a plane dropping you a crate of supplies. You have a PDA with descriptions of the dinosaurs, a full color map of the area, and the ability to order air support. The game has nice music and graphics as well. Recomended and runs well on the early version of Gigadrive (the one without sound, I havent tried it on any other versions).

Tiny Toons: Busters Hidden Treasure

This is a Tiny Toons game where you are buster bunny and must collect carrots and get to the end of the level. It has a map like Super Mario World but plays alot like the Sonic series. Good Game.

James Pond was a pretty cool game.
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

gp back and play it now, I guarantee you that you will think its bollox

revisiting retro games is not a good idea tho

example: Golden Axe, is it just me or deoes that seem rubbish now, but amazing when u were little

Last edited by a moderator:
Back