Official Blog- Recreation Time

ledow said:
The sand wouldn't worry me... but the salt and water in, on and around that sand would scare the crap out of me. You're just asking for rusty internals, no matter how dry the sand looks, not to mention if they get into an SD contact, keypad, nub, etc. or even into one of the external ports.
You aren't kidding.
I've got a waterproof camera. I took it out to the ocean last week for some great vacation shots. Unfortunately sand got into the battery compartment preventing it from closing as completely as I'd though and, while out in the surf, water slowly leaked into it; not a lot, I mean just a few drops. It was enough to toast the thing anyway.
The next day I tried to get what pictures and videos I could off the card before my camera broke, only to find my card reader wouldn't read it. After various troubleshootings, I finally looked at the card and notice one of the contacts had turned black from tarnish. In a day, the salt water had rusted it pretty bad. Took me several minutes to clean off enough to get it working again. Fortunately, once it was clean, that card has been working great. Unfortunately, my camera is still dead, and will probably never work again :(
Moral of the story: water is bad, salt water is worse, and sand is bad for waterproof things.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shock of seeing that picture caused me to 'inhale' some of my Summer Vaca Corona.

Back