•i Wonder What The Price On Xgp Will Be

The 940T core is used for the 2D acceleration. And I really don't know what you're getting at, my summary was "the GP2X is uber powerful". He (the creator of this thread) claimed its an upgraded GP32, which I quickly shot down.

I draw your attention to this picture:
product_mmsp2_04-5.gif

Notice the 2D accelerator?

Notice the 940T and 920T cores?

See how they are different?

I am getting at the fact that you haven't seen this picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the chances they'll go ahead with the XGP now they have to redo it all, and everything are very slim. If they still go ahead with it, they'll have to outdo the PSP in hardware, make it open source, get THE best hardware scaler (to compensate for the widescreen stretch) get a very fast display that doesn't ghost like the PSP, full 3D GPU support, DRM to ensure hacker-resistant games (unless they build their own cartridge interface for commercial games, which I doubt) And to outdo anything out there now, they will need at LEAST 128 megs of DDR-type ram, better at 400MHz for that (2x200)

So all told, I'm guessing anywhere from 275-350 US at LEAST to have all the features they need to compete with anything out there now.

If after all that, it's worth it to go ahead still, from what I'm guessing, they'll not make too much from the sales of the units themselves, since they probably wont sell more than 2000 tops, at least within the first year.

Thx man :p Thats all I really wanted to know.
I guess we will see what turns out though eh?

Who cares? Its not like any 2d or 3d homebrew games that will be made that are actually good. Itll be just like the gp32 homebrew games scene with alot of cheesy space invader games lol.

SNES. Thats all itll do extra :p kk
:lol:
You'e quite the pessimist aren't you?
So you are saying that all the homebrew games that are made, exept a few, will suck?
You don't know how many people are so anxious to create games for this.
The GP32 had many great homebrew games.
Why else would the people here care so much about this?
There is so much possibility for the GP2X.
Just because they don't have "commercial" support, they will be horrendous?
Also the GP2X isn't an upgraded GP32.
It's a different company now.
Gamepark separated into, Gamepark and Gamepark Holdings.
GPH made the GP2X and GP made the XP.
So don't just expect full speed SNES ;)

If all the GP2X gave us was full speed SNES it would be very sad and ridiculous. But there is a point where you start wondering how many tetris clones an open platform can stand. Not that this is what I'm expecting to see but we still will get 40 beginer level efforts for every big time original creation.

The good thing is that with Linux there are more new games that can be ported which will be better than a tetris clone... the bad thing is that alll those will need to be reprogramed to work better on the dual processor and thus there will be a lot of people not wiling to bother. Hopefully the number of devs that wil bother are enough to bring use som really nice things between the periods of waiting for GP2X homebrew originals.

The XGP if it has an SDK availible to anyone that owns a system, it WILL have emulators, but the question is will the hardware be any better for homebrew games? How easy will the 3d hardware be to use in making ports of quake? No one knows. Will the native process of crunch numbers or display graphics any faster? still unknown. All we do know is that Gamepark (not GPH) have no interest in making a GP32/3D machine.

The 940T core is used for the 2D acceleration. And I really don't know what you're getting at, my summary was "the GP2X is uber powerful". He (the creator of this thread) claimed its an upgraded GP32, which I quickly shot down.

I draw your attention to this picture:

Notice the 2D accelerator?

Notice the 940T and 920T cores?

See how they are different?

I am getting at the fact that you haven't seen this picture.

I have seen it. Have you read the website? The 940T isn't accessed like a dual core or dual CPU system, it IS used for the graphics instructions. Thats why we don't see an SMP kernel on the GP2X. It has to be accessed in a special way, not like an ordinary CPU.

I don't think you see what exactly that image represents :- P

May I draw your attention to the image? What exactly is different between the 920T and 940T cores? Don't you see that the 940T has something Missing?

Read up on how Dual CPU systems work and then get back to me.

Edit: Ah, thats how the annoying size function works.

AireTamStorm:

I am sorry for my incomprehension.

Under the MagicEyes Linux kernel the 940T does indeed do the frame processing set up for accelerated video, video as in movies, moving pictures encoded like divx, or mpg2.

The frame processing set up for movies is done on the 940T.

The "video processor" does the actual frame processing then the 940T sends the decoded movie information to the 2d accelerator and the video post processor.

Only in the MagicEyes drivers does the second processor actually do anything.

And then it is only the video(movie) frame tag decoding and stream processing, not the actual frame decompression.

2. I do notice the lack of a MMU and less cache ram on the 940T.

That is because it is the secondary coprocessor, the main processor lets it do things it can't be bothered with, mundane things that extra cache and an mmu would be less helpful and more expensive for.

Dual CPU Cores
ARM920T : Host processor
ARM940T : Programmable Coprocessor
CPU Performance: 400+ MIPS with dual ARM9 processor
Operation frequency :200MHz
16 channel DMA
Interrupt, 4 Timers, WDT, Power management

Display Controller
LCD controller
YPbPr , RGB, CCIR 601/656
Composite Sync

Video Performance
MPEG1 Decode
- Video CD
MPEG4 SP/ASP Decode @720 x 480, 30fps
- DivX 3.11, 4.X, DivX 5.x with Q-PEL
JPEG Encode / Decode up to 4M pixels
-Digital Still Camera

Powerful image processing
-Two Independent Video Input Selection

Graphics
High Performance 2D Graphics Accelerator
-Resolution up to 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz
2 video overlay surface support

The 2d accelerator is a seperate core on the processor die

I am very much aware what the 940T does, sorry if I misspoke. I was refering to the SDL functions.

I stand corrected.

But yikes man, watch the triple post! There is an edit feature ;- )

Back