Omap5432 Dev board

Thanks.

I wonder if snd_soc_spdif_tx is used for line or optical. Maybe both ?

Thanks.

I wonder if snd_soc_spdif_tx is used for line or optical. Maybe both ?
seeing that in lsmod is no indication that the hardware can do it... I did only find a reference that the MCASP port of the OMAP5 *can* be used to drive some SPDIF interface.The EVM has neither line nor optical.

I wonder if it's hiding the two A15s from cpuinfo while they're switched off in favour of the ARMv7s.
*blinks* As I understand it the A15 is the name of the CPU core, and ARMv7 is the name of the architecture it uses. There is no A7 in the OMAP5 IIRC.
- Neelix

There is no such power saving feature in OMAP5, to make this clear. You use the normal full power cores or you use none.

There are M4 cores, but they don't do power saving. You can't just run any low power software on it, it takes a looot more work than this.

Trashy, is the board perfectly usable as a "normal" computer ?
Yeah I'd say so, the debian Image I have running some of the hardware isn't working properly, like the built-on sound, SGX drivers, HW scaling and such.. but the desktop environment works fine, using a USB soundcard I can use most things fine.. Video playback without use of the hardware acceleration is still lacking on HD videos, however I can almost get 1080p h264 videos full speed just with raw CPU power. So I have no doubt that video playback will be good on the OMAP5 once someone smarter than me can get the hardware working properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thx, I may have one to test soon as a friend wants one ARM board.

The Radxa Rock (RK3188 1.6GHz quad Cortex-A9, ~70€) looks good, also the ODROID-U3 ( Exynos4412 Prime 1.7GHz quad Cortex-A9, ~59$), but he said he can put 150€ for the IGEPv5 CE.

BTW, If someone have feedback about the Radxa Rock and ODROID-U3, i'm interested.

My U3 arrived a couple days ago. I will use it as a server so it won't even have a monitor attached I'm not sure if would help you much. Still ask whatever, I may be able to run desktop software via vnc.

I just played a bit this afternoon and so far the experience hasn't been very pleasant. Beginning with the customs which charged me 30€ extra making a total of almost 100€ (still better than other options).

Tried the image of xubuntu "official" for the odroid (with gpu drivers) and my SD card got corrupted  after  half an hour of use, just adding users and installing some tools. After a checking with fsck it goes completely off when I try to start a desktop. Then I called it a day.

I will play with it this weekend and tell you more.

Well the problem is solved, it was the power adapter, although it was announced as 5v 2A (as the official), the U3 seems to be very picky and my handmade connector didn't cut it. So bought a new one capable of 4A and a new connector. The first one was from a dongle I had in my junk drawer and tried to do some recycling, bad idea.

So if you friend goes for the U3, my advice: buy the official charger.

Tell me what do you want me to try, but remember that I can test desktop software only via VNC and that I will have software running on the background.

I still have got this in mind but past week had ton of work, I will try to do some tests next week.

Finally  I have spared some time to test something.

First my system is running all time some software, like owncloud, a bittorrent client and maybe my father or my sister are accessing to a sshfs share.

It's running xubuntu 13.10 with xfce 4.10 and kernel 3.8.13.16.

I can only test thing through VNC at 1024x768, so I can't be sure of the smoothness of all this.

I have tested the loading times of some pages with firefox:

-popsci.com 12s

-youtube.com 3s

-memebase.com 22s

Loading videos on youtube was limited to 360p (no flash plugin) but fullscreen seems alright.

I opened PDF's form few KB to 15MB and they opened almost immediately with xpdf.

Installing libreoffice-writer took 4:10 but I'm using a uSD as hard drive, maybe the bigger delay is here because I have got 100Mb of connection.

Finally tried to do some work on parallel:

-Several webpages loaded including a video running on youtube

-Video loaded in smplayer with a resolution of 720x406

-Editing a document with writer.

It's easy to notice some delay/choppiness when you load a page/file and then return to the document editing, the keyboard does not respond until everything is correctly loaded.

If you want my opinion this board can work as a desktop replacement, it has enough RAM to handle several applications at the same time and the multiple cores help a lot. It's not fast though, it's easy to see how it freezes for a few seconds when loading anything a bit heavy, but once loaded everything goes smooth.

I haven't researched it but seems that if you want games or emulators you have to use a specific repository for the odroid where software makes use of the graphic driver, otherwise seems that usual software can make use of the GPU (you may want to look at the odroid forums).

Hope this helps, If you need anything else let me know please.

The choppiness is most probably the VNC connection - that's even choppy when I run it to my normal desktop PC.

With hardware accelerated X, it should switch instantly.

*cough*cough* Dusty in here. Wanted to ask, where one might still get a dev board. ? On isee.biz it seems, they're not trying to sell anything, and at least using duckduckgo I can't find anyone, who tries to sell it, either.

Back