Oooh.. These Guys Really Know How To Tease.

Daz_Genetic

Certified Guru
Website
www.dazos.com
I've visited Infinium Lab's website today. I was checking to see if there was any further indication of whether this Phantom Console really is vaporware, as suggested by nearly every member of the gaming press.

I was expecting little update to the site, but in fact the frontpage has changed significantly.

http://www.infiniumlabs.com/

Now, I'm not one to fall for hype at all, but for some reason the statement on that page really struck a chord with me and made me think twice. It now appears as if they have succeeded and in less than a month, are set to prove everyone wrong. Since I am a collector of consoles, this would be fantastic news for me, and to be totally honest, if this is the real deal, all the negative press may actually work to their advantage in this case.

How many of you guys think this is for real or not?

Comments?

For me it's still a PC that can be hooked up to a TV. Nothing much to get excited about. Don't give them much change in succeeding if even Nintendo is loosing out in the console race.

It's not real.

It was proved as a hoax a long, long time ago and was reported on ircspy.com news.

They claimed they were going to be at several computer demonstration shows yet they didn't turn up to a single one of them. They wern't even on the list.

Their office doesn't actually exist. There have been absolutely no photographs of prototype models, no material proof that the machine is in existence apart from a computer rendered picture.

could someone please give me a definition of vapourware?

I think its fake as gamesmaster reported its launch was coming soon about a year ago and yet........

But then again the same could be said about the gp32 in europe ;)

finty101 posted on Apr 19 2004 at 03:36 PM said:
could someone please give me a definition of vapourware?

I think its fake as gamesmaster reported its launch was coming soon about a year ago and yet........

But then again the same could be said about the gp32 in europe ;)
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=vaporware

Basically, something they claim they've developed but in actuality have not.

Scammers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, bunch of haters. People are so stupid. As soon as one person says something bad about something/one, everybody starts jumping on the bandwagon without even thinking about what they're saying or thinking for themselves. People do that with Windows, Bush and others. Sometimes I just wish these groups of people would STFU.

And Huxley's personal definition isn't necessarily accurate. The dictionary.com definition is close enough. Vaporware does not have to be fake, it's just that in most cases they ended up that way. Vaporware could be in development, but may not be finished. And if it was uder wraps enough, there may not be enough external proof of its existence.

And there was a picture of a prototyped Phantom. But it just looked like a funky case mod, so most people still don't believe them. Infinium Labs even bought a huge booth at E3.

Hey, a lot people believe that the GP32 was vaporware. And what do we have now? So to all you haters out there, STFU!

Even if it is not vaporware it is still only a PC hooked up to a TV. We have seen this before (Siemens anyone?) and they have all failed.

How much were these going to cost and what were the specs? I remmember it was like a 2 ghz with windows xp or something right? Sounds like a computer to me but if it cheap enough and has a regular monitor output I might buy one for my room insted of a PC or a modded X-Box with Linux.

It's vapourware. Anybody who disagrees at this stage is very very wrong.

EDIT: Incidently they did go to one show and displayed the console. It was off and looked just like a modded PC case.

NssOne posted on Apr 20 2004 at 12:32 AM said:
Bah, bunch of haters. People are so stupid. As soon as one person says something bad about something/one, everybody starts jumping on the bandwagon without even thinking about what they're saying or thinking for themselves. People do that with Windows, Bush and others. Sometimes I just wish these groups of people would STFU.
That post works regardless of if you're being sarcastic or not! I took it as honest, and found it amusing that you use Bush and Windows as examples because you don't really need to think much to experience the suckiness of Windows, and Bush does a great job of making himself look bad without any bandwagon to jump on. If you were being sarcastic please let me know, because if so that's a fairly clever (if subtle) comment. If not, whoops!

And Huxley's personal definition isn't necessarily accurate. The dictionary.com definition is close enough. Vaporware does not have to be fake, it's just that in most cases they ended up that way. Vaporware could be in development, but may not be finished. And if it was uder wraps enough, there may not be enough external proof of its existence.
It doesn't matter if they've been developing this console for twenty years...if nothing hits the shelves, it's still vaporware.

I still have hope that this isn't vaporware, but even if it isn't, it wont' have the financial backing to carry it through in to production with all the advertising and promotion that a console requires. Something targeted at a similar market to the GP32 with emphasis on homebrew software would be interesting and maybe shift a few units regardless of media exposure, I suppose. That's our best hope.

Rico posted on Apr 20 2004 at 12:57 PM said:
That post works regardless of if you're being sarcastic or not! I took it as honest, and found it amusing that you use Bush and Windows as examples because you don't really need to think much to experience the suckiness of Windows, and Bush does a great job of making himself look bad without any bandwagon to jump on. If you were being sarcastic please let me know, because if so that's a fairly clever (if subtle) comment. If not, whoops!
Sorry, no, I'm saying this because of how much people blindly bash things without knowing what they're talking about.

Huxley posted on Apr 20 2004 at 03:25 PM said:
It doesn't matter if they've been developing this console for twenty years...if nothing hits the shelves, it's still vaporware.

I still have hope that this isn't vaporware, but even if it isn't, it wont' have the financial backing to carry it through in to production with all the advertising and promotion that a console requires. Something targeted at a similar market to the GP32 with emphasis on homebrew software would be interesting and maybe shift a few units regardless of media exposure, I suppose. That's our best hope.
That's the problem with Infinum, they're a small US-based company. They don't have the backing of a bigger game company such as Nintendo or Sony. That's the reason it's taking so long. In reality, they're not so far off as far as development goes, they just promoted it a little too early IMO.

Back