Open Hub

Aimless E

Still Fresh
I think a similar topic was started on gp32x before the forum split, but I believe this is worth considering.

What it should do.

1. Unique identifiers for each user. (might use hardware but It would be nice to get PC games on board as well.)

2. Online leader boards based on games and user accounts (many games have this ability already the Idea is to get them all in one central location).

3. Count the number of times you play a game ( way to track popularity)

4. Achievements (everyone likes a pat on the back once in a while)

5. Online portal for viewing scores-stats. sending messages to friends, foes, and the developers.

6. Chat client?

What it would need.

1. simple api for sending,receiving and caching.

2. Dedicated server/servers (redundancy is good, maybe have a master server and regional servers [ED or CraigX could handle Europe, I could pull something together here in the states if need be])

3.Separate hash codes for each game given to the developers by the master server (it should be handled this way to avoid version-ing problems.)

4.Simple chat mechanism. Maybe Jabber or IRC ?

Did I leave anything out that you would consider necessary? Is it worth the trouble? Is there a reason (legal maybe) that this hasn't been attempted for the OSS and Indie communities?

Love to hear your opinions.

Oh, and yes this is a branch of my original program effigy(ZiB,PEF) that is still being developed but I'm still (patiently) waiting for my Pandora before I release.

Back