Open Pandora: Askarus version

Great work. Looking at your L/R mod, I had an idea for an alternate approach to it.

- Fix the existing L/R buttons in place so they don't move

- Use them as mounting plates for two new pairs of buttons (side by side I guess)

- Wire both pairs of buttons back to the PCB. The existing L/R microswitches stay in place but are not physically used.

This would give you four shoulder buttons that all feel the same. It would also be good for anyone not confident with cutting into plastic, as you'd only be messing with the shoulder buttons, not the rest of the case.

Added you to the beta discussion about Slackware.

You can dl it and use xev.

Thanks but according to urjaman I can't even use them with "Fn". (anyway I don't have a free card I could use :D )

Great work. Looking at your L/R mod, I had an idea for an alternate approach to it.

- Fix the existing L/R buttons in place so they don't move

- Use them as mounting plates for two new pairs of buttons (side by side I guess)

- Wire both pairs of buttons back to the PCB. The existing L/R microswitches stay in place but are not physically used.

This would give you four shoulder buttons that all feel the same. It would also be good for anyone not confident with cutting into plastic, as you'd only be messing with the shoulder buttons, not the rest of the case.

If you wouldn't remove the R/L microswitches where to wire the original R/L? Solder them somewhere beside them?

the Palstic is no problem. I filed it per hand. the major prpblem wre the extra-buttons. They have to fit into the housing and I had to make them.

I don't think your solution will feel good. It's surely better to use than my one because my buttons are to close to the lid if the Pandora is opened but you don't even notice my ones if you don't use them. And remember: those buttons are not for eery- day use. They're for PSX and (if possible äöüß).

But hey, take your Pandora, ask for some spare parts and try it out. It's the only way to decide about such things. Every new idea is a great idea :D . I'm sure every Pandora user will agree with that.

I've just held my Pandora to try it out, and you're right, side by side would probably not work well.

There might be a couple of ways to connect new L1/R1 buttons in parallel with the existing ones. Soldering next to them on the same pads is one option. The other is to connect your new switch across the two spare tags on top of the existing switch (assuming they are connected through). The Pandora switches have the tabs but I haven't put a meter on them to check. I have used this method before, to relocate shoulder buttons on an Xbox controller.

Nice mod! I love it. Just wanted to drop in and say that. ^_^

It is possible to install xev via opkg, it doesn't even need any additional dependencies. At least my Pandora's still alive. You could also boot from SD card or use extend utils to create a root extend, if you don't want to write to NAND.

On topic: I want those buttons, too :( And making a QWERTZ layout is genius! I really need to stock up on some replacement parts, then start hacking :D

Are the new buttons made out of plastic?

It almost looks like hardened foam.

Do you remember the fan I showed to you and Linux-Swat.

It's the same material:

"carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic" (Wikipedia translation)

@Gruso: Don't make it to complicated. I did nearly everything per eye.
Not sure what you mean? I described the simplest way of connecting extended buttons to existing ones (if that is the path one goes down).
Sorry. I misunderstood you :rolleyes: .

Edit:

Here's an other use for my Buttons: Deadbeef can use them for previous/next title. Now I finally don't have to open my Pandora while listening to music :lol: .

Edit 2:

Deadbeef is great. I can use combinations.

L2: Previous

R2: Next

Shift + L2: Stop

Shift + R2: Play/Pause

Ctrl + L2: Toggle pause

Ctrl + R2: ??

Shift + Ctrl + L2: Search backwards

Shift + Ctrl + R2: Search forward

8 different combinations on the shoulderbuttons! Great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back