Open Pandora Videos

'Hotcooler' said:
IMO 480х360 is optimal for low res youtube... But I dont mind anyway.. since i'm on 1920х1200 xD
It's not so much the space they take up for me, it's the processing power - I tried playing a video and it ran at like 0.5 FPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Gruso' said:
^ I didn't know about the preview image setting, that's a good feature.

Good that we talked about it ;)

'Gruso' said:
Don't sweat it though man, everyone has different tastes and there's no harm in having another site with the same content. There is plenty of blog duplication too (across various languages) and the duplication comes in handy when the other guys pick up something we haven't seen yet. ;)
I don't have a problem with this, but (as everybody else would have done as well) I just wanted to clarify that this function is available on my site so that my effort was worthwile :D

It increased memory usage by 300~400 MB and Firefox maxed out one core of my T8100 @ 2.10 ghz. (Is there a Flash setting I can change to use multiple cores for multiple objects?) Video playback sucked, but I also have trouble with HD flash video.

In case you decide to shrink the videos, I would go with 480x360; isn't that the resolution that "high quality" provides?

isn't that the resolution that "high quality" provides?

yep.

And Firefox was always a memory black hole.. And BTW video page is working quite bad in Opera.. sucking quite a lot of memory and umm.. closing kinda slowly xD

'gene_kultpower' said:
'banjeed' said:
For the trigger-happy lot, I TOTALLY understand that there is already a video vault someone created which contains many of the videos related to the Pandora, but to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with it. I really just wanted a simple site I could scroll within to watch the videos.
Did you notice that you can configure the Pandora Video Vault Website to show any number of videos on one page?
And you can even configure the site to show static preview images to prevent performance/memory overkill in your browser - or you can show the videos "as they are" to klick on one to show it immediately...

:rolleyes:

haha, yes!, which is exactly why I created the alternative. I didn't want to "configure" anything to watch a left justified video box inside a rounded box, inside a another rounded box surrounded by blue highlighted text and thin black lines. As I've stated, for "my" purposes, I didn't feel like clicking a plus button 60 times to scroll through all of the videos. I just wanted a big dump of videos displayed in a scrollable window. I'm very impressed with the video vault..it's just not for me.

And for the rest. I'll go with 480x360 as that seems to be the popular resolution. Off to work now, I'll probably have time later tonight.

'Hotcooler' said:
isn't that the resolution that "high quality" provides?

yep.

And Firefox was always a memory black hole.. And BTW video page is working quite bad in Opera.. sucking quite a lot of memory and umm.. closing kinda slowly xD

That's not true, I've been using it since the alphas and it wasn't until round about 2.0 that it started to be unreasonable. Before that it was definitely better than the competition.

I don't know what you're all complaining about. No problems here, C2D 3.75 + 4GB of RAM.

Press ctrl+alt+del to bring up task manager and check the performance tab. Look at the cpu usage graph. It gets up to 35% when I play a video. This is upstairs, 2.4ghz quad core.

^^ I've got my cpu usage on my dock, it jumped to 40% for about a second when I opened the page, then went back down to ~5%

My safari just locked up for about 30secs. Flash is incredibly wasteful. A neat feature for your website would be rewriting the flash embedding tags to native media plugin / <video> tags.

'sindbad' said:
My safari just locked up for about 30secs. Flash is incredibly wasteful. A neat feature for your website would be rewriting the flash embedding tags to native media plugin / <video> tags.
Speaking of embedded video, I have this YouTotem script in GreaseMonkey that automatically replaces YouTube videos with the Firefox plugin of my choice. But I can't get it to work on this website. Does anybody else use a similar script and have any idea what I could do?

Breaks halfway down the page for me on a powerful desktop computer, on FF2. I'd try FF3 but bilinear scaling when zooming images made me revert to 2.

The big thing I'm taking away from this is that more people need to submit videos to the video vault, since there's a lot there I didn't see. It only takes 2 seconds and it doesn't need to be your own video.

Opera grinds to a halt here.

I would prefer a startpage containing an index of all videos which links to a separate page per video.

'Butterman' said:
^^ I've got my cpu usage on my dock, it jumped to 40% for about a second when I opened the page, then went back down to ~5%
Do the videos run fine for you? No pauses?

Back