Open Source Video Player

Ultimate

Still Fresh
Ive seen that a version of SDL has been developed for the GP32. I then found that there is an open source DIVX/MPG/DVD player created with SDL available. Hmmm i thought. The source is available here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html

Im a very low level programmer at the moment, so a project like this would take me years, plus im not sure whether the GP32's processor could handle it. But the way the sources there are setup, we could surely use some source and slot a GUI onto it. I await any sort of reply.

unlucky posted on Mar 14 2004 at 11:58 AM said:
yeah i cant really see any improvements on gp cinema happening it looks great 2 compared to vlc
Have you tried vlc with skins? It looks great, and is an awesome media player.

I, for one, would welcome a VideoLan port, it is a great player (my main media player on the PC) and a non commercial open-source player is always better than a closed source commercial one, no matter how cheap it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm yes, may be that gp cinema is great player so far (i didnt try it yet..), but we dont have its sources :\
thatswhy i think a port of an open source project would be a great benefit for us coz everybody could improve it if he feels like..

just why cant gp cinema be GPL? :D

so far, the_Diabologic

P.S.: lets check the time till first response XD

I have VLC on my computer (mac version) and its an ok media player. But when I put it in the backdrop so I can just listen to the music from an intro while browsing around the net, all these errors come up :\. Still, its pretty good overall, its compatable with a lot of things. I prefere mplayer though...

actually if u think about it a port of videolan with sources open would mean we could have intro video's to our games etc easily :)

think outside the purpose of what it does and what it could do ^_^

:ph34r:

yes, tho
thats another possibility ^.^

but there's not that much of a diffrence; porting (the almighty big one player for everything) mplayer or vlc or some other divx-player, because at very first we need an open source divx-player..

btw, did anyone ever think of making an mpeg-player?

the_Diabologic

Back