Open2x That Was Just Uploaded

fomit

Website
www.flickr.com
I am thinking of installing this. I have previously been running CramFS and loving the quick boot times. It only hung at boot on me once, which is much improved over the original firmware

The read me says the following:

- Flash in U-Boot (22/March/2006 or later)
- Copy ONLY open2xfile.img to your SD card.
- Boot + Update
- Copy ONLY open2x kernel to your SD.
- Boot + Update

Is this Art's Uboot from the same web page? Can I run Open2x without changing my bootloader? Is it for sure recommended to update the bootloader?

For the second step... Is this the same as in installing CramFS? Will open2xfile.img update at boot or is it recommended to update it from flash_open2x.gpu?

What are the benefits of running open2x? Are all applications compatible? What about the movie player? Will I still be able to watch movies?

Thanks for all your help.

It is the one from Art's homepage. I only changed the skin to Blue Poison and put filesystem and kernel to one file.

You don't need Art's bootloader for Open2x.
It is potentially dangerous to change the bootloader and you need a compatible SD cart to do so.
Open2x is much more compatible as cramfs.
Before you use flash_open2x.gpu you must change the firmware to 1.4.0 because cramfs is read-only.

Regards,
Stephan

I'm in the process of updating using flash_open2x.gpu and open2xfile.img and it's been sitting on a black screen for a few minutes now.. I'm on the official 1.4.0 firmware.

I also find the readme quite sparse for something so 'big'. I'd like to see a better explenation of certain steps and such. Thanks!

sbock posted on Apr 10 2006 at 03:07 AM said:
Before you use flash_open2x.gpu you must change the firmware to 1.4.0 because cramfs is read-only.

Is Open2X based on 1.4? Does this mean that it will stop you from making further upgrades when the problems in 1.4 are fixed?

I'm just a bit confused because I thought it was a seperate filesystem image, so I don't get why the FW on it before flashing matters.

(Still on 1.1 for fear of bricking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pfft, once you've gotten to 1.1 the bricking risk is minimal, kernels are easy to re-flash if something goes wrong. It's the u-boot (1.0.0->1.0.1, IIRC) that you have to worry about.

GeminiDomino posted on Apr 10 2006 at 12:57 PM said:
I'm just a bit confused because I thought it was a seperate filesystem image, so I don't get why the FW on it before flashing matters.

Just as I said. Cramfs is a read-only filesystem. So you can't run a program that wants to write to the nand. You need one from the GPH firmwares (1.4.0 is just an example, 1.1.0 should also work...)

Does this mean that it will stop you from making further upgrades when the problems in 1.4 are fixed?

No.

Regards,
Stephan

hello !
what are the avantages of open2x FS over the FS of GPH ?
what about boot time?

Is there sterm like in the cramfs ?

thank you ;)

oeildefeu posted on Apr 10 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
Faster boot time, nice splash screen, networking, drivers for stuff.
what about boot time?
Much faster. From 40 seconds to about 8.
Is there sterm like in the cramfs ?
No, you have to install it yourself.
thank you ;)
No problem.

oeildefeu posted on Apr 10 2006 at 02:22 PM said:
hello !
what about boot time?

Faster boot times
Read-only filesystem
Open Source :)

Regards,
Stephan

cowai posted on Apr 10 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
So if I have cramfs 0.04 now, I'll have to reupdate to GPH's fs, and then update to open2x?

Precisely.

In the readme it says something about new uboot..
Lets get this straight.
- I have cramfs 0.04
- I put the official fs from GPH to my sd and then update.
- Then I put the open2x files on my sd and it will update as a normal image?

So now I'm sitting at:

write_important_data finished at block: 504
Partition formatted succesfully
Wrote 8224768 bytes of data to 504 blocks
0 bad blocks detected

Is it the script finished? Should it return to the 1.4.0 menu? Is it safe to turn it off and update the Open2X kernel?

Thanks.

---

Continued:

Well, Open2X is installed and working. It seems a little quicker at booting than CramFS (maybe by 1 second).

Where is this project going? What are the end goals?

fomit: how long did it take to run flash_open2x.gpu?

now I am at:

write_important_data finished at block: 504
Partition formatted succesfully
Wrote 8224768 bytes of data to 504 blocks
1 bad blocks detected

Can I shut it off?

EDIT: I did, and all went fine. Now we have a very cool bootscreen and boot time went down a little from cramfs.

fomit posted on Apr 10 2006 at 03:52 PM said:
Where is this project going? What are the end goals?

Here's a quote from DJWillis:

What is Open2x, it’s not a game or an emulator, it's a new open source project of course.

It has taken a long time to pull together all the bits and line everything up.
It is very centred around helping the community get the very best out of the GP2X handheld.
We would love to snare some talented coders to help ;-).

That's all I know...

Can I shut it off?

Yes. :)

Regards,
Stephan

The name "Open2X" is a bit misleading: this is just the cramfs layout in squashfs on theoddbot's ROFTL layer.

The goal of the Open2X project is to replace the entirety of GPH's applications with community applications, all open-source of course.

nickspoon posted on Apr 10 2006 at 11:57 PM said:
The name "Open2X" is a bit misleading: this is just the cramfs layout in squashfs on theoddbot's ROFTL layer.

The goal of the Open2X project is to replace the entirety of GPH's applications with community applications, all open-source of course.

That's what I figured and why I asked earlier about the movie player.

Back