Openembedded Recipes

valhalla

If I understand correctly, the pandora OS will be based on armstrong / openembedded. If it is so, will you release the machine conf and at least the kernel recipe?

will we be able to use OE to easily(1) cross compile applications for the pandora? what about a full system?

(1) as easily as it is to cross compile something for, say, the openmoko, i'm not expecting stuff to automagically work.

Machine conf should be easy: take beagleboard conf file, change "big screen" to "small screen", tell it about touchscreen and a few other features...

valhalla said:
If I understand correctly, the pandora OS will be based on armstrong / openembedded. If it is so, will you release the machine conf and at least the kernel recipe?

will we be able to use OE to easily(1) cross compile applications for the pandora? what about a full system?

(1) as easily as it is to cross compile something for, say, the openmoko, i'm not expecting stuff to automagically work.
The whole lot will be in public GIT repositories come release (well unless we have stuff that touches on the closed source bits but we are working like mad to ensure any closed source bits are minimised as much as possible).

Machine/kernel and the small number of device specific recipes will be in there along with the rules for the default NAND image and the like. Bootloaders and kernel (all the open parts, fully build able) are also be in GIT repros and pulled in by BITBAKE should you need to make a full image for your needs.

If your used to building for OpenMoko, Angstom of even OpenZaurus (from the day) then your not going to feel out of place with the Pandora setup.

Our main difference is a model that allows for just a compiler and code building (see stuff like Ed's PXML etc., better in the long run for stuff that will live on SD's as common package management formats are notoriously bad at frequently changing media as it stands) and then a full on package system and recipe based core distro (OPKG etc.) on the NAND.

I have personally not hosted what I have at the moment (my own local rules as opposed to any 'official' ones) as my GITHub account get flogged as it is and GITHub seem to like lightening my wallet a little to much as it is once a month for already going over my limits ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back