Openggs - A Free Software/open Source Remake Of "the Great Giana

RomanH

Still Fresh
Hi there

just wanted to let you know that I'm working on a open source remake of "The Great Giana Sisters".
http://openggs.romanhoegg.ch/
(currently only MS Windows binaries available. GP2X, Pandora and ??? versions will follow...)

Though the game contains all 33 original levels (incl. the "sub-levels), all enemies and most of the bonuses (Weapons) are integrated, it still is beta software. So, feel free to enjoy the game but don't expect it to be a pixel-perfect reimplementation (yet!). Don't worry, there will be updates.

Also, I'm currently not using the original sprites and music. However, they can (relatively) easily be integrated. The current sprites are (more or less) based on the original graphics. I made sure the use the exact same dimensions as the sprites of the Amiga version.

Screenshot_06.png
Screenshot_07.png

hope you like it

RomanH

P.S. The game is not affiliated with the original game by Time Warp, the newly released DS game by Spellbound or "Giana's Return". I also do not consider my game as competition to any of them. OpenGGS is just a program I have been working on in my spare time.

Its just not the same... On the plus side, we can play the original version on a C64 emulator.
Don't be mean.

Anyway, I hate to be negative but it doesn't run under linux (through wine). I suggest you get it building under linux. You're using SDL so you should get it compiling easily enough. I managed to get my future Pandora game compiling on windows and linux really easily (just one #ifdef in each file!)

Good luck and I look forward to playing it - I love Giana Sisters :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry. A linux port will definitely follow. Compiling is not the problem. However, I lack hardware accellaration for my homebrew SDL programs under Ubuntu which makes the game run at about half speed. I'm sure I will figure out what the problem is. But for the moment I just want to advance the program some more and clean up the code and the content before I have to maintain several ports. This is just a beta release. :)

RomanH

yep, my Pandora has been pre-ordered a looooong, loooong time ago :)

Looking good, my favorite part about these remakes is the extra levelsets that tend to follow them.

--edit--

However, I lack hardware accellaration for my homebrew SDL programs under Ubuntu which makes the game run at about half speed.
Which is why my next 2d engine will probably be in OpenGL (es). I really don't understand how slow non-accelerated SDL can be at times. Though I tend to write pretty inefficient game code In the name of lazyness I suppose.

Kojote said:
good luck from the giana's return team :)
-koj

Thanks! :)

Good luck to you, too! I'm really looking forward to Giana's Return.

RomanH

Back