Opengl Es Tutorials

Clean3d

Still Fresh
I was sorting through some old bookmarks and guess what I found? I haven't seen these posted before, and I did a search, so here they are: Boldly intruding as a new thread.

http://www.typhoonlabs.com/

how relevant is the tutorial?
i had a quick look at it, and it seems to be fixed point opengl 1.1
the pandora is opengl 2.0, and i thought i read somewhere it isn't fully backwards compatible with 1.1.
besides that, in 2.0 shaders are very important, and they're not in 1.1

aren't you better of with a regular opengl 2 tutorial, and just keep the 2.0es reference by hand to spot the differences in both apis?

Racemaniac said:
the pandora is opengl 2.0, and i thought i read somewhere it isn't fully backwards compatible with 1.1.
Considering that if you don't need shaders, there's a full 1.1 stack in addition to the 2.0 layer. And it's not "fixed point" as both 1.1 and 2.0 support fixed point. It's fixed functionality which is akin to how things were done with OpenGL 1.4- ES 2.0 is similar in nature to OpenGL 2.0.

aren't you better of with a regular opengl 2 tutorial, and just keep the 2.0es reference by hand to spot the differences in both apis?

Depends on what you're doing, actually. If you're porting a non OpenGL 2.0 title that doesn't use shaders, you might want to do the tutorials to come to grips with things. If you're doing something that doesn't need the expressive power of ES 2.0 (you have to supply ALL shaders...no defaults like in OpenGL 2.0), then you're probably better off with ES 1.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommend getting the "OpenGL ES 2.0 Programming Guide" (Amazon link), especially if you only know desktop OpenGL 2 without many extensions (or were not familiar with it at all). It provides very good grounding material on the pipeline, usage of EGL, as well as chapters on vertex and fragment shaders, which are explained in quite a bit of detail. There is a chapter on advanced topics, such as projective texturing or environment mapping, which was quite interesting seeing as our graphics course at uni. did not cover either.

What I liked in particular is how the book reads well as both a reference and a text to read and understand, and in particular, all of the ES 2.0 API calls are documented (when introduced), most of the time in great detail.

Now some people may prefer to refer to the official specifications instead, but unless you are implementing the API, I believe you're going to want those example programs and an explanation for what each bit of the API does, at least in the beginning.

Vladimir said:
I would highly recommend getting the "OpenGL ES 2.0 Programming Guide" (Amazon link), especially if you only know desktop OpenGL 2 without many extensions (or were not familiar with it at all). It provides very good grounding material on the pipeline, usage of EGL, as well as chapters on vertex and fragment shaders, which are explained in quite a bit of detail. There is a chapter on advanced topics, such as projective texturing or environment mapping, which was quite interesting seeing as our graphics course at uni. did not cover either.

What I liked in particular is how the book reads well as both a reference and a text to read and understand, and in particular, all of the ES 2.0 API calls are documented (when introduced), most of the time in great detail.

Now some people may prefer to refer to the official specifications instead, but unless you are implementing the API, I believe you're going to want those example programs and an explanation for what each bit of the API does, at least in the beginning.

I agree, though it does gloss over some points (as can be seen in my many posts with OGLES questions).

Svartalf said:
Racemaniac said:
Considering that if you don't need shaders, there's a full 1.1 stack in addition to the 2.0 layer. And it's not "fixed point" as both 1.1 and 2.0 support fixed point. It's fixed functionality which is akin to how things were done with OpenGL 1.4- ES 2.0 is similar in nature to OpenGL 2.0.
i just went by what is mentioned on the wikipedia article
"OpenGL ES 2.0, publicly released in March 2007[1], eliminates most of the fixed-function rendering pipeline in favor of a programmable one. Almost all rendering features of the transform and lighting pipelines, such as the specification of materials and light parameters formerly specified by the fixed-function API, are replaced by shaders written by the graphics programmer. As a result, OpenGL ES 2.0 is not backwards compatible with OpenGL ES 1.1."
hence, seeing an opengl es 1.1 tutorial, when the pandora seems to be all about opengl es 2.0, didn't seem that useful. if however, there also is a 1.1 pipeline in there, it might indeed still have uses, dependant on what you need :) (you're right about the fixed function thing though, read over that way to quickly ^^).

Back