Opening the lid.

comradekingu

Glowing ember
Website
portfolio.anotheragency.no
The current lid is slippery, and the thumb is prone to slipping off when opening. The feel to a device is important, as is the intuivitiy of its use.

Personally i keep my thumb in line with where the cross section is, then push it upwards and grinding it against the bezel edge to open it fully.

The latter part feels too edgy, like im touching a knife by its blade without meaning to.

It all works well, except it isnt easy enough.

The issue has been raised, and it has been suggested to make  a slot for the nail to slip into, in between the case and the lid.

This however defeats the slight purpose the edge bevel has in protecting against sand getting into the key area. More importantly you need to turn your hand around to do this motion.

The not twisting your hand around and still opening it with the nail

Lenovo%20ThinkPad%20X100e_opening.jpg

is the only one handed approach, as the device weighs substantially more than the screen, so gravity wont do it. Also opening it one handed away from you with the thumb means opening it away from you.

To mitigate this, more friction is needed on the screen lid.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/g/definition-of-checkering-on-guns.htm is one way to do it, but it might chafer against pockets and the like.

An indented kind that is still a positive pattern would do, like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knurling  Im thinking the size of the hinge, above where the volume wheel is now, on both sides for ambidexterity.

(edit: i just realized this is the thinkpad way of doing it)

IMG_2663.jpg

However that breaks with the uniformity of the rest of the device, and it breaks up the visual aspect, its not sleek, its robust. It is utilitarian, but is it in essence a needed feature?

What if the case itself was coarse enough to provide friction? It would be less prone to smaller scratches. Also it wouldn't slide so well upside down.

A smooth texture is nice to the touch, so it all rather depends.

Maybe we can return to this when we know more about the case design process, but i wanted to share my thoughts with those who do anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice point you have there. The 3ds has a sort of concaved surface at the joint. That way, you get a easy grip with the tip of your finger. 

I think it also looks kinda neat, but not sure if it can be done cheaply. 

PS: The screen part of the thinkpads are very heavy, so that's another reason to give the users some extra grip. We may not need to go that far. 

Apart from the screen not staying in its' position, this is the other annoying thing. I was tempted to mention this in the "what you don't like in the current Pandora" thread. Thanks for bringing it up. A groove/ridge of some kind would be great. Or textured surface with good grip.

Honestly this never bugged me until someone mentioned it.. thanks.

The 3ds has a sort of concaved surface at the joint.
The (original) 3DS "lid" is angled downwards, as shown below, and is great/easy to open. I don't know if the XL is the same, but if Pyra borrows the original's opening system I'll be very happy.

2011-03-27-08.56.42.jpg

Is this the point where we find out that putting a slanted edge on something is patented?

It must be the swedish iron-grip fingers :)

(No, I've never been bothered, either)

If the bottom half of it is gripable enough, you can just sling it open like a banana knife.

Back