Openjazz Update

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
I have hacked together a small update for OpenJazz on the GP32. It basically just uses the GP32 code from A600's build spliced into a slightly newer version of Alister's code. Unfortunately there are problems with C++ and SDL on the GP32, so I was not able to use the newest version of Alister's code, and had to settle for code from early 2007 that was written in C. I have e-mailed Alister to ask if he has newer C-only code available, and if he does, I'll be releasing another update in the future.

There is still no sound, no bonus stage, and the bees are still stationary, but I wanted to make this available because the bridges work now! This makes the first level much more playable.

I have included the shareware version of Jazz Jackrabbit in the archive, so it should work if you just extract the archive to the root of your SMC and delete either the normal or BLU+ file, depending on which one you don't need.

Check it out:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp32.cgi?0,0,0,0,1,1080

Just a warning, I haven't tested out the BLU+ version, so I have no idea if it works. The normal version works just fine on my FLU.

slaanesh said:
I've got a port of this in the works as well from some time ago.
It's still in the early stages - I'll see if I can get it going (using the latest C++ code).

be aware you guys can use libmodplug there are misalignments in it, youll need the version i did for the wiz

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
It's still in the early stages - I'll see if I can get it going (using the latest C++ code).

I hope you have better luck than I did. I got it to compile, but when it runs it initializes the audio, blanks the screen, and appears to freeze (or at any rate never draws anything to the screen).

I found this topic on the issue, but I'm having trouble implementing the workaround:
http://www.gp32x.de...1010-sdl-and-c/

I've pinpointed the problem... when it gets to loading the fonts FONTMN1.0FN in particular. It seem to hang on my GP32.
Initially it was reporting the font to be 1020 pixels in size but I think there is something else wrong here.
I'm checking into it.

UPDATE: I think it's my SMC card. It's almost full and the FONT files were the last thing I copied across. My SMC gets flakey when it it almost full so tomorrow I'll reformat and just have Jazz on there. Will update soon.

slaanesh said:
I've pinpointed the problem... when it gets to loading the fonts FONTMN1.0FN in particular. It seem to hang on my GP32.
Initially it was reporting the font to be 1020 pixels in size but I think there is something else wrong here.
I'm checking into it.

UPDATE: I think it's my SMC card. It's almost full and the FONT files were the last thing I copied across. My SMC gets flakey when it it almost full so tomorrow I'll reformat and just have Jazz on there. Will update soon.

If you figure this out, I will be ecstatic! :D

As you can probably tell from my avatar, Jazz Jackrabbit has been my all-time favorite video game for quite a while. Having it in an even more functional state on my favorite handheld would just be a great thing to happen.

Having to wait and wait for my pandora, I (re)bought a gp32 on Ebay. Can´t wait for it to arrive and check this out ! Thanks...

A couple other issues sorted out: GP32 SDL controls is always a small hassle. That's all fixed now.

The game starts now. I'n playing and bouncing that little green rabbit guy around. Jazz is his name, right? :)

At the default GP32 speed of 66Mhz, this is running quite nicely at 20FPS already.

Alright. A few more things to do. I think sound is a must.

slaanesh said:
A couple other issues sorted out: GP32 SDL controls is always a small hassle. That's all fixed now.

The game starts now. I'n playing and bouncing that little green rabbit guy around. Jazz is his name, right? :)

At the default GP32 speed of 66Mhz, this is running quite nicely at 20FPS already.

Alright. A few more things to do. I think sound is a must.

I think so too. I was going to attempt it on my port eventually, but I didn't know at that time that I'd discover a more experienced coder also wanting to get this going. :)

Will you be porting libmodplug to GP32, or will you be attempting to write a routine that can use SDL's built-in MOD functionality, or perhaps even something that uses Mirko's mixer?

jmetal88 said:
Will you be porting libmodplug to GP32, or will you be attempting to write a routine that can use SDL's built-in MOD functionality, or perhaps even something that uses Mirko's mixer?
I will port libmodplug to GP32. Hopefully it's fast enough. It should be given that things are running nicely at 66Mhz.
I'm probably going to end up clocking the GP32 at 124Mhz as this is the best clockspeed for good 44100hz sound playback.

OpenJazz is actually quite a nice implementation of a game.
I've ported other games like OpenGGS to GP32 but I was a bit uninspired by the actual gameplay - I found it a bit dull. So I haven't continued it.

OpenJazz on the other hand is loads of fun. :)

Pickle said:
slaanesh said:

be aware you guys can use libmodplug there are misalignments in it, youll need the version i did for the wiz

What were your mods? Adding "packed" attribute for some of the structures?

slaanesh said:
Pickle said:
slaanesh said:

What were your mods? Adding "packed" attribute for some of the structures?

source is here : http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,46,130

There are/were more problems than just structure alignments. there were misaligned casts.

Just a heads-up, looks like Alister's been doing some major bug fixing. He released a new build and source code today: http://alister.eu/jazz/oj/

He says it's possible to finish every level now. :)

So yeah, if you get time to poke around in that source code as well, I'm sure it'd be worth it.

Yes, I noticed that actually.
In fact I just updated everything last night.

Boy it's looking good!

Now for the sound/music.

SFX are fine - no problems there. Music is a different story.

Okay, so Jazz Jackrabbit has .PSM sound files. Protracker Sound Modules.
Nothing really plays them except for libmodplug as far as I can see.

I've ported Pickle's version of libmodplug to GP32. However I'm getting the sweet sound of silence. :D
I am in process of investigating why.

slaanesh said:
I've ported Pickle's version of libmodplug to GP32. However I'm getting the sweet sound of silence. :D
I am in process of investigating why.

Ive updated to the latest svn and ran the latest on gp2x, wiz and pandora. Both wiz and gp2x music works with the libmodplug I linked you to.
There are misalignments left and i need to fix them for giana, but it should be fixed enough for openjazz.

slaanesh said:
@Pickle

With the latest updated, do you find that Jazz is shooting out of his ears now whenever he is standing still?

I might have seen that, i at least saw the bullets change the height they came out at. It was temporary.

Back