Openoffice On Pandora.

shade

Still Fresh
Quick Question. Would open office have to be ported to pandora or can I just install a linux version of it?

I'm no expert at all on Linux (in fact I know almost nothing about it), however OO has been asked about before, and I believe it was deemed a bit resource heavy for Pandora given its RAM limits. Something like Abiword should be OK though.

Not sure if apps would need to be specifically recompiled for Pandora.

Any/all programs will have to be recompiled for the Pandora. There are likely other changes (possibly simple, possibly not - depends on the program) that will likely need to be made to the source before it is compiled to make it work well with the Pandora's IO specs. This is in addition to UI tweaks to make a program designed for a large-screen desktop environment work well on a small, high-DPI handheld display.

As an example, here's a screengrab of Abiword running on Qemu (emulating an arm machine with an 800x480 screen) - it's set to 150dpi, which gives a readable display, but you can see it's not the most efficient use of screen space - the image has been resized to 50% to give a better indication of the size it'll be on a real device

2913749601_1f1008a870_o.png

Probably re-organising the UI into a vertical toolbar, the way Mameo does, would give us better use

benjymous said:
As an example, here's a screengrab of Abiword running on Qemu (emulating an arm machine with an 800x480 screen) - it's set to 150dpi, which gives a readable display, but you can see it's not the most efficient use of screen space - the image has been resized to 50% to give a better indication of the size it'll be on a real device

2913749601_1f1008a870_o.png

Probably re-organising the UI into a vertical toolbar, the way Mameo does, would give us better use

A much better way would be to copy Psion's method on the series 5xx and 7: Menus and toolbars are hidden by default and brought up by a menu key. On the Psions this is a dedicated key, but I'm certain some smart remapping could be done. Add a thought-through system of keyboard shortcuts and a seasoned user could remain in fullscreen layout practically all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
we do have these 3 buttons in the middle of the pandora, so we could make one the menu key

Back