OpenPandora core

B

BramCorvus

Hi, I've been following OP since its beginning, I think it has to evolve still a little bit more, however it still looks awesome.

How about making an Open Pandora based in Tegra? Of course, the Tegra 4 is going to arrive soon, a clean Android install could be done, which means a lot of apps and a lot of documentation too.

By the other hand, I don't know if it could be done anything that small with an AMD APU, if so, it would be awesome.

That would be a successor to the Pandora, which might eventually happen at some time, but it would need a complete redesign of the PCB and probably case as well, so it won't happen anytime soon, sadly.

Hello and welcome.

There is some discussion on what soc could be used for the next Pandora (if there will ever be a next Pandora).

Basically it comes down to specs, the availability in small numbers and price in those low quantities.

The Tegra4 looks good but it might be outdated when the newer Pandora will be designed or built.

It takes a lot of money and time to redesign a circuitboard.

Arm socs are not easily interchangeable unfortunately.

Edit: Ninjad by ED

Last edited by a moderator:
@Guest_BramCorvus_, if you're interested, you could look around here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/forum/35-pandora-2-spam/ - contributions welcome.
To sum up the state of a possible pandora successor:

• The project is not currently in a financial position to produce a Pandora2 (Pandora1 parts  to be used up, debts to be repaid)
  • The two parts of the project (Craigix and ED) both have mentioned plans to build one. Craig's seem more like forum trolling than plans, but that's subjective/my opinion.
  • A P2 would almost certainly be a complete rebuild following the same concept as the P1
  • It is possible that it will use the same controls as Craig's iControlPad2 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller - don't forget to read the comments page)
  • Very rough specs are: dual-core ARM A15 @ 1.5GHz, 720p 5" screen, huge battery, wifi, BT, 1 or 2 SDXC slots
  • Nobody knows when/if it will be available

[…]

Very rough specs are: dual-core ARM A15 @ 1.5GHz, 720p 5" screen, huge battery, wifi, BT, 1 or 2 SDXC slots
[…]

You meant that there are no specs at all xD

Those "specs" are the most realistic less unrealistic ones taken out of all the crap that get tossed around in P2[spam]

(and I want to add something about an eventual pandora successor : it needs a 16:10 screen NOT 16:9!)

You meant that there are no specs at all xD Those "specs" are the most realistic less unrealistic ones taken out of all the crap that get tossed around in P2[spam]
Yup.

Those are the ones that the sensible crew (ED. Exo, WB) don't argue about.

While they are neither official nor accurate, they do give a realistic idea to a newbie, in contrast to a octocore Ivy bridge @ 4GHz or a full PCIMCIA slot or something

Back