Openpandora Emails

cbp

Still Fresh
I just saw the message on the first page and the contact email.

@gmail doesn't really make it look professional.
You can instead use googles partner page http://partnerpage.google.com/ to have @openpandora.org emails.

It's free and makes it look professional while you still get to use their servers.

PS: you might have to get the paid account if you plan on sending emails to big companies, as some firewalls block(send to junk) emails using google/gmail IPs. Upgraded account puts you on different dedicated IPs.

We just use gmail because it has excellent junk mail detection. As a lot of old timers around here will know we didn't used to use gmail for any of the pages, it was always @gp2x.co.uk and @gbax.com etc. those emails now actually go to googlemail via their pickup option.

I'll see about directing the openpandora domain to gmail too.

It was junkmail that killed the old email addresses.

thunderbird has an excellent junk filtering function, though. But yeah, I agree. GMail is quite an excellent service and I absolutely understand why you use it.

I used to use Thunderbird (in fact still do), but gmail has much better spam filtering than Thunderbird, so I let gmail download all the mail, and then Thunderbird downloads from gmail :)

Our company uses Gmail too, but with a paid domain account like the original poster said. I highly recommend it!

Thunderbird has a bug where eventually it grinds to a halt after 25,000 emails or so.

Outlook does the same.

So we had to abandon them both as we often need access to ancient emails.

I've never found a mail program which can handle tens of thousands of emails apart from online ones.

[For whomever didn't know what I was talking about] I should have said Google Apps. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

If you own the domain, you only need to upload a file, given by google, to prove that you own it.
Afterwards, you will fully bypass your own mailservers and use google mailserver.
It will use their filters and everything through them, just like a normal gmail account, with the exception that it will be @mydomain.com instead of @gmail.com.

craigix said:
I've never found a mail program which can handle tens of thousands of emails apart from online ones.
Then you have never used sylphed-claws (renamed to claws mail, current version is 3.5.0). Currently I have 27373 unread emails from boost mailing list (where I'm subscribed) and 14385 read emails. And it handles that just fine. Boost mailing list is of course not the only one I'm subscribed to :) But it's the most busy one, and I'm subscribed there since 2006.

Claws mail uses maildir to store emails (extremely practical for large number of emails), and currently I have there about 110'000 emails in total (spanning across about 300 of directories):

CODE
$ find -type f | wc -l # files
$ find -type d | wc -l # directories

The only drawback is that when I click on boost folder it needs about 30 seconds to scan the directory (but it happens just once, for later this is cached). And it's very easy to really grep all emails, just click the search icon. It also very nicely integrates with spamassain (including FuzzyOcr) and PGP MIME. Hell, there's no better mail client for power users than claws mail.

(some might argue that mutt is better, but I've grown out of terminal email clients :))

PS: this advertisment was not sponsored by claws mail authors :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gmail is the greatest mail client I've ever used. Just because it's a web based program doesn't mean it's unprofessional.

bustaballs said:
Gmail is the greatest mail client I've ever used. Just because it's a web based program doesn't mean it's unprofessional.

I prefer to have all my email on my computer. Becasue I can make backups of it, because it contains a fair amount of my personal life history, because I can grep it. And because (surprise) it works even offline!

cosurgi said:
craigix said:
Then you have never used sylphed-claws (renamed to claws mail, current version is 3.5.0). Currently I have 27373 unread emails from boost mailing list (where I'm subscribed) and 14385 read emails. And it handles that just fine. Boost mailing list is of course not the only one I'm subscribed to :) But it's the most busy one, and I'm subscribed there since 2006.

Claws mail uses maildir to store emails (extremely practical for large number of emails), and currently I have there about 110'000 emails in total (spanning across about 300 of directories):

CODE
$ find -type f | wc -l # files
$ find -type d | wc -l # directories

The only drawback is that when I click on boost folder it needs about 30 seconds to scan the directory (but it happens just once, for later this is cached). And it's very easy to really grep all emails, just click the search icon. It also very nicely integrates with spamassain (including FuzzyOcr) and PGP MIME. Hell, there's no better mail client for power users than claws mail.

(some might argue that mutt is better, but I've grown out of terminal email clients :))

PS: this advertisment was not sponsored by claws mail authors :)

You are absolutely correct, claws is top choice for people who do a lot of mail, the best. Using it with sendmail/dovecot/spam assassin fedora front end on a fanless via embedded box to handle a massive load. The time enough to get a fresh cup of coffee while loading a really, really big box isn't too awful, one adapts to work around it. The processing and filtering are terrific at cutting those down.

cosurgi said:
I prefer to have all my email on my computer. Becasue I can make backups of it, because it contains a fair amount of my personal life history, because I can grep it. And because (surprise) it works even offline!
Most of my email is stored on gmail, but Thunderbird automatically does a backup of my gmail once a day, and stores that away on a local hd. Therefore it works off-line as well as online (big help considering I'm not always using my home PC), and of course my off-line copy can be backed up and grepped.

My local copy even translates the labels on gmail to local folders.

Best of both worlds :)

I don't worry about privacy to emails that much - anything that needs to be kept confidential shouldn't be emailed, as much of its travel is still sent along the net in unencrypted/unauthenticated form, but you can always access gmail via https if you wish.

cosurgi said:
bustaballs said:

You do realize that Gmail can forward mail to your PC client too. You can set things up any way you want.

You sound like someone who really never used Gmail enough to understand its benefits and versatility. It's really quite superb.

Prophet said:
You sound like someone who really never used Gmail enough to understand its benefits and versatility. It's really quite superb.

lol. Of course I have a gmail account, two even. And few others on other services, each serving a different purpose. I just download all gmail email with POP. And I use gmail through www (or other www email access) whenever suitable (eg. when not at my computer and vnc is not possible). Did I really sound like some dumb no-www email user? :rolleyes: I just take the best of both worlds that can be offered to me. Claws-mail just gives me ultimate local access of all of my accounts.

EDIT: and since I use both of them, I can tell you that gmail is really inferior :p

Hmm. Basically, my server where openpandora.org runs on also has a very good spam protection... latest SpamAssassin, spam protection based on DNS blackhole lists and SPF spam protection.

So basically, there shouldn't be a problem...

Hm, why are you discussing something like that here.
Everyone who as a bit of a clue of email knows that fastmail.fm is the only serious mailprovider in existence. ;)

craigix said:
Thunderbird has a bug where eventually it grinds to a halt after 25,000 emails or so.
Was that with POP? I have currently ~ 57.000 unread eMails from various technical Mailing lists (~70.000 mails in total) on my imap account, and Thunderbird seems to do fine.

I'm a bit concerned that thunderbird might give up on me at some point.

Back