Opinions on other UMPCs from 2008'ish era.

friz898

Still Fresh
Hey Guys,

Any of you Pandora folks have any experience with the Sony UX, OQO, or Samsung Q1 Ultra?

I figured this is a good place to ask to get unbias opinions from people who have owned one.

This not being a Pandora specific-question, I totally understand if I receive few-if-any replies.

Thanks!,

Chris

For gaming controls, you can't go wrong with the Samsung Q1 Ultra Premium.

Below is a N64 control scheme/configuration guide that I quickly made using MS Paint.

Specifications (base version)

Manufacturer: Samsung

Model name: Q1 Ultra Premium

CPU type: Intel Core Solo U1500

CPU speed: 1.33 Ghz

Graphics: Intel GMA 950

Display Size: 7" 1024 X 600

Screen Type: LED-Backlit LCD

Touch Technology: Resistive (soft/finger) Single-touch

RAM: 1GB (2GB Max upgradeable)

Hard Disk: 80GB

Keyboard: YES

Mouse Pointer: YES

Battery capacity: 56 (Wh)

Battery life: 7 hours on low settings (Extended battery)

Weight: 800gm / 28.2 oz

Size (w/h/d mm): 228/124/24 mm - Size (w/h/d inches): 9/4.9/0.9

Physical Interfaces: Headset i/f (Mic+Line)

SD card slot: YES (32GB Max compatibility)

USB 2.0: YES x 2

VGA: YES

Ethernet 10/100: YES

Wireless Interfaces 802.11b/g: YES

Bluetooth 2.0: YES

No Wireless WAN (e.g. 3G cellular)

Additional Specs and Accessories (can vary)

WebCam: YES

Stereo speakers: YES

Optional Specs and Accessories = GPS Navigation Kit

Last edited by a moderator:
So you own one of these, or have in the past?

BTW, I cant view your pic, being in Afghanistan, on Army NIPR internet, all videos, and many pictures (larger than say an icon) are automatically blocked for bandwidth reasons.

Edit: Fixed for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
er, meant on a FOB using Army net, I lol'ed at how I worded that previously.

Have you tested this for Everquest 1/FFXI/WoW gaming? I've seen some videos on youtube, but still unsure just how feasible it is.

I've owned two sony oqo's, and they really are great little pc's, I still have the better one i.e with a 30gb hdd and 512 Mb of ram, these little things were the kickstart to my love affair with small pc's, linux and handheld games consoles, they were incredibly expensive though and I only had them because at the time the company I worked for loved all things tech, and would try out anything new, when they inevitably went bust, I kept my oqo, a friends oqo which he had given me for the weekend to install ubuntu on (hoary hedgehog) I seem to remember, and the company car in leiu of pay, the receivers gave me 2 grand for the car three weeks later after threatening me with theft, the police didn't want to know as long as I didn't drive it about, and gave me an ownership receipt for the oqo's three scanners, a laser printer, a camera and a phone, I kept the oqo and the laser printer, both still working and sold the rest, the fun I've had with the oqo was incredible, and yes I did run a sega emulator on it but it wasn't very good, it also stopped running linux very well, so it's now the only pc I've ever owned that has windows on it, and it's really quite fast, though the battery only lasts about 15 mins now, happy times.

I've owned two sony oqo's, and they really are great little pc's, I still have the better one i.e with a 30gb hdd and 512 Mb of ram, these little things were the kickstart to my love affair with small pc's, linux and handheld games consoles, they were incredibly expensive though and I only had them because at the time the company I worked for loved all things tech, and would try out anything new, when they inevitably went bust, I kept my oqo, a friends oqo which he had given me for the weekend to install ubuntu on (hoary hedgehog) I seem to remember, and the company car in leiu of pay, the receivers gave me 2 grand for the car three weeks later after threatening me with theft, the police didn't want to know as long as I didn't drive it about, and gave me an ownership receipt for the oqo's three scanners, a laser printer, a camera and a phone, I kept the oqo and the laser printer, both still working and sold the rest, the fun I've had with the oqo was incredible, and yes I did run a sega emulator on it but it wasn't very good, it also stopped running linux very well, so it's now the only pc I've ever owned that has windows on it, and it's really quite fast, though the battery only lasts about 15 mins now, happy times.
SONY aren't the manufacturers of the OQO.

my bad oqo made the oqo, sony made the ux, bigger and shitier, and a confusing amount of buttons, and friz I don't do deep breaths, I just go for it, but I did dig out the oqo after posting, annoyed the wife as I was playing with it instead of cooking din din's, and now I'm up late trying to catch up with some work, good job I haven't got my Pandora yet or I'd probably be divorced.

This post provoked a dream where I found an OQO on ebay for 100 dollars which I turned down because my Pandora was good enough.

Back