OPP Modes

bluedeer

I currently have my Rebirth Pandora set to 900mhz max with Max OPP mode 4, and it seems to run much faster than it does with Max OPP Mode 5 and 900mhz max. I understand the overclocking and the theory behind what OPP modes do, but could anyone clarify why my Rebirth seems to run faster and more stable at OPP4 than at OPP5 with the same max clock speed? Previously, I couldn't use PanMame or FBA with any MAME games, but with OPP mode 4, even at 850mhz, everything runs practically buttery smooth?

I currently have my Rebirth Pandora set to 900mhz max with Max OPP mode 4, and it seems to run much faster than it does with Max OPP Mode 5 and 900mhz max. I understand the overclocking and the theory behind what OPP modes do, but could anyone clarify why my Rebirth seems to run faster and more stable at OPP4 than at OPP5 with the same max clock speed? Previously, I couldn't use PanMame or FBA with any MAME games, but with OPP mode 4, even at 850mhz, everything runs practically buttery smooth?
Seems kind of odd to me, I have three pandori including a rebirth and never encountered that kind of behavio(u)r.  

Still you have a misconception of how the OPP settings work on the Pandora, when you set the Max OPP level in the Pandora settings, you are not setting the actual OPP level, you are just setting how high it is allowed to go. The clock speed you set determines what OPP level is used, there is essentially a look up table that says if you fall between these specific frequencies set this OPP level.

I suppose some units may be a bit flaky above 900Mhz, I know neon optimized code can be when overclocking. 

EDIT: Another theory is if you max OPP level is still set to 4 on a CC or Rebirth Unit (1GHZ only has 4 OPP levels) and set a frequency above what the OPP 4 level is it's not supplying enough voltage to keep stable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I also remember that the mhz is also the max, not the actual, and that if you don't have a high enough OPP it won't go higher. Maybe? It has been a very very long time since I looked at that particular code so I may be misremembering or Notaz may have modified it since then but it would make sense: if you have OPP4 and the kernel says max mhz is, say, 800 for that, then even if you set it to 900mhz it'll still go at most 800mhz, until you change to OPP5 where max mhz is 1300 or something like that.

Seems kind of odd to me, I have three pandori including a rebirth and never encountered that kind of behavio(u)r.  

Still you have a misconception of how the OPP settings work on the Pandora, when you set the Max OPP level in the Pandora settings, you are not setting the actual OPP level, you are just setting how high it is allowed to go. The clock speed you set determines what OPP level is used, there is essentially a look up table that says if you fall between these specific frequencies set this OPP level.

I suppose some units may be a bit flaky above 900Mhz, I know neon optimized code can be when overclocking. 

EDIT: Another theory is if you max OPP level is still set to 4 on a CC or Rebirth Unit (1GHZ only has 4 OPP levels) and set a frequency above what the OPP 4 level is it's not supplying enough voltage to keep stable. 
Well, no, I knew that the settings were how high it was allowed to go. When I got my unit, it was default set to allow max OPP5, max clock speed was 700 or 750 mhz (I can't recall which offhand, but it was SZ 1.52 at the time). But when I tried playing something on say, Panmame or FinalBurnAlpha, it performed poorly. Like almost unplayably slow. Even SNES9x EX 1.43 emulation wasn't that good, framerates were low enough that they were unplayable and unpleasant to watch (Still isn't if I use SNES9x 1.53 but better than before). I was comparing mine to Youtube videos playing the same things and it wasn't running nearly as speedy as they were. (For that matter, my TV out never seems to look as good as theirs, but I don't know if that's because of the TV I have or what, but that's a different story). Even when I set it to max 900mhz at OPP5.

So now I have mine set to max OPP 4, and max up to 850mhz. When I did that, suddenly things began running faster. I have emulators like FBA set to run at 850mhz. Snes9x EX 1.43 runs MUCH better. I can even play Starfox at near full speed. Almost all the Mame roms I have run well, SNES runs well, Neo Geo runs extremely well, and PCSX runs pretty well too. It's almost as if setting my unit to only max at OPP 4 and max 900mhz seems to be doing something that's making it run faster and more stably than if I allow it at the same clock speed at OPP5. 

Doing the CPU Stress test, it seemed to get unstable after the expected limits for a Rebirth (I think it was something like 943mhz at OPP5), but my performance was still not as good as I had been lead to expect until I set the OPP limit to 4. I understand that they are just max level settings, but I would have expected that if it was set to OPP5 and 900mhz that I should be seeing the kind of performance I see at OPP4 and 850mhz or better, but I don't and I'm not certain why. I'm going to try changing the settings again and see if it makes a difference, since I'm about a month and change in to the 'burn in' period, maybe it just needed some time for something to settle or something.

Well, no, I knew that the settings were how high it was allowed to go. When I got my unit, it was default set to allow max OPP5, max clock speed was 700 or 750 mhz (I can't recall which offhand, but it was SZ 1.52 at the time). But when I tried playing something on say, Panmame or FinalBurnAlpha, it performed poorly. Like almost unplayably slow. Even SNES9x EX 1.43 emulation wasn't that good, framerates were low enough that they were unplayable and unpleasant to watch (Still isn't if I use SNES9x 1.53 but better than before). I was comparing mine to Youtube videos playing the same things and it wasn't running nearly as speedy as they were. (For that matter, my TV out never seems to look as good as theirs, but I don't know if that's because of the TV I have or what, but that's a different story). Even when I set it to max 900mhz at OPP5.

So now I have mine set to max OPP 4, and max up to 850mhz. When I did that, suddenly things began running faster. I have emulators like FBA set to run at 850mhz. Snes9x EX 1.43 runs MUCH better. I can even play Starfox at near full speed. Almost all the Mame roms I have run well, SNES runs well, Neo Geo runs extremely well, and PCSX runs pretty well too. It's almost as if setting my unit to only max at OPP 4 and max 900mhz seems to be doing something that's making it run faster and more stably than if I allow it at the same clock speed at OPP5. 

Doing the CPU Stress test, it seemed to get unstable after the expected limits for a Rebirth (I think it was something like 943mhz at OPP5), but my performance was still not as good as I had been lead to expect until I set the OPP limit to 4. I understand that they are just max level settings, but I would have expected that if it was set to OPP5 and 900mhz that I should be seeing the kind of performance I see at OPP4 and 850mhz or better, but I don't and I'm not certain why. I'm going to try changing the settings again and see if it makes a difference, since I'm about a month and change in to the 'burn in' period, maybe it just needed some time for something to settle or something.
Hmm. As a second note, I've switched it back to max OPP 5, and left the max clockspeed at 900mhz like I did before. Things are still running better. Maybe something was updated in the 1.71 update that fixed the performance problem I was having before. I'll have to keep playing with it and see if I notice anything else that's different.

Or maybe it was just running hot after your tests...

I am currently running 900mhz @ opp 4, when i go to 950 at the same opp i get for example "snow" in the psx emulator. 

Back