Ops = Open Pandora Store And...

Is OPS a good idea or bad idea?

• Good idea - lets be done with it.

Votes: 49 65.3%
  • Bad idea - you're a nutter

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • I don't have an opinion, but I like answering polls.

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

Grench

Forum Addict!
Grench said:
laserbeams said:
Grench said:
Grench said:
Following the Mythology references of Pandora:

Just call it "OPS" for OpenPandora Store.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ops
In ancient Roman religion, Ops or Opis, (Latin: "Plenty") was a fertility deity and earth-goddess of Sabine origin.
The Latin word ops means "riches, goods, abundance, gifts, munificence, plenty".

I think that pretty much sums it up.

I just checked on Network Solutions - www.openpandorastore.com is available.
Awesome suggestion, I like it. You should message Craig with it, or drop the idea in the AppStore thread as a name suggestion.

I wasn't able to find that thread.

So, without finding that thread (might be a necropost if I add to it) and not wanting to further clog Craig's inbox, I thought I would float this as a thread of it's own.

So, can we call the Open Pandora Store OPS/OpenPandoraStore, grab www.openpandorastore.com and call it good?

After all, I'm betting that they'll want to sell peripherals, batteries, cases, additional Pandoras, Special ED versions, etc... (triple pun there if you caught it).

Last edited by a moderator:
jb0yx said:
VRAndy said:
# I don't have an opinion, but I like answering polls.
Where's the people who hate polls with a fiery passion?
also red baron option

I figured they would simply reply about their general hatred for all things resembling polls in hate filled messages insulting my heritage and that they would refuse to answer the poll itself as a matter of principle.

We can do that, but it'd be so much more convenient if there was just a poll option that said that. Then it'd be like, one click, bang, done. Hatred recorded.

VRAndy said:
We can do that, but it'd be so much more convenient if there was just a poll option that said that. Then it'd be like, one click, bang, done. Hatred recorded.

Where would be the fun in that? Isn't half the idea with vitriolic speech to emphasize to the world how you in particular feel about the subject? Where would I be if I wasn't aware of your particular disdain for me and my posting/survey if you posted anonymously? Wouldn't picking a choice be somehow endorsing the use of a poll for subjects such as this? I would never want to deprive you of the joy of crafting a proper crushing reply for me, polls and everything they represent by asking you to simply click a radio button. There is no fun in that.

Besides, this poll isn't about hating polls. If you want to measure the number of people who hate polls, maybe you should start one?

I thought this was more suitable to polling than the average polling question. You are of course welcome to your opinion.

Grench said:
So, can we call the Open Pandora Store OPS/OpenPandoraStore, grab www.openpandorastore.com and call it good?

After all, I'm betting that they'll want to sell peripherals, batteries, cases, additional Pandoras, Special ED versions, etc... (triple pun there if you caught it).
ON TOPIC, no, I don't think that's the plan. Craig and ED each have their own stores for selling hardware. The app store is for software only. But it was also intended to eventually act as a software store for any system, so they want to avoid names involving "Pandora" (or so I recall from previous threads).

I thought Craig was just calling it the Open App Store, and that's kinda boring, but good enough for me.

"Oh hey, I just got this cool App from the Appstore for my Iphone"

"Yeah well, screw you I just got a new Op, the Op store"

Grench said:
Grench said:
laserbeams said:
Grench said:
Grench said:

In ancient Roman religion, Ops or Opis, (Latin: "Plenty") was a fertility deity and earth-goddess of Sabine origin.
The Latin word ops means "riches, goods, abundance, gifts, munificence, plenty".

Awesome suggestion, I like it. You should message Craig with it, or drop the idea in the AppStore thread as a name suggestion.

So, without finding that thread (might be a necropost if I add to it) and not wanting to further clog Craig's inbox, I thought I would float this as a thread of it's own.

It's well intentioned, but if you want to go with something from Mythology, I would suggest sticking to Greek Mythology, since Pandora is from Greek Mythology. Roman Mythology was purely political, anyways.

EDIT: What about "Stoa"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoa

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Grench said:
Grench said:
laserbeams said:
Grench said:
Grench said:

It's well intentioned, but if you want to go with something from Mythology, I would suggest sticking to Greek Mythology, since Pandora is from Greek Mythology. Roman Mythology was purely political, anyways.

-God Ginrai

I wasn't too worried about Greek or Roman mythos so much as thrilled to have a happy 3 way terminology overlap.
OPS = Open Pandora Store
Ops (Roman Mythos) = a fertility deity and earth-goddess (The application store should be a fertile ground)
ops (Latin) = riches, goods, abundance, gifts, munificence, plenty (The application store should have riches, goods, abundance, gifts (free stuff), etc.. and plenty of it)

I think it would do fine even if it weren't selling hardware - though I don't see the reason it shouldn't. The founders/suppliers/stores selling the hardware could simply list in their Pandora stuff in the same store. This wouldn't prevent them from listing on their own too. If anything it would help emphasize the global nature of the device.

Just an idea and IMHO.

Besides, those of us not in the top 1K are going to have to find something to speculate on and argue about for the next 2 months +/-.

Grench said:
God Ginrai said:
Grench said:
Grench said:
laserbeams said:
Grench said:
Grench said:

-God Ginrai

I wasn't too worried about Greek or Roman mythos so much as thrilled to have a happy 3 way terminology overlap.
OPS = Open Pandora Store
Ops (Roman Mythos) = a fertility deity and earth-goddess (The application store should be a fertile ground)
ops (Latin) = riches, goods, abundance, gifts, munificence, plenty (The application store should have riches, goods, abundance, gifts (free stuff), etc.. and plenty of it)

I think it would do fine even if it weren't selling hardware - though I don't see the reason it shouldn't. The founders/suppliers/stores selling the hardware could simply list in their Pandora stuff in the same store. This wouldn't prevent them from listing on their own too. If anything it would help emphasize the global nature of the device.

Just an idea and IMHO.

Besides, those of us not in the top 1K are going to have to find something to speculate on and argue about for the next 2 months +/-.

Yes, but my concern is that two of the terms in the 3 way overlap do not mesh well because they are Roman. If you came up with a 3 way mesh in Greek, I'd be duly impressed. Note, my Stoa suggestion is a 2-way overlap. The marketplace connotation, and it resembles the word "store" when rattled off in conversation.

-God Ginrai

heres an idea... how bout we finish the store, then get the files on there for people to use. then come up with a name for it... surely the last possible thing we need to care about.

Sticking with the Pandora story from Greek mythology, what about using the word hope as an anagram for the categories of the app store. HOPE can stand for:

Homebrew (Currently Games)
Others (Currently Misc.)
Programs (Currently Applications)
Emulators

The following are some domains that are currently available:

www.pandorahope.com
www.openpandorahope.com
www.opphope.com
www.hopeappstore.com
www.hopeapplications.com

(This of course could work with the Open Pandora Store (OPS) domain.)

The only problem I can think of using this setup/theme are commercial games, which we could just add a separate section for them.

Also, not regarding the HOPE suggestion, the following domains are available:

www.oppappstore.com
www.oppmarket.com

Nataku said:
Sticking with the Pandora story from Greek mythology, what about using the word hope as an anagram for the categories of the app store. HOPE can stand for:

Homebrew (Currently Games)
Others (Currently Misc.)
Programs (Currently Applications)
Emulators

The following are some domains that are currently available:

www.pandorahope.com
www.openpandorahope.com
www.opphope.com
www.hopeappstore.com
www.hopeapplications.com

(This of course could work with the Open Pandora Store (OPS) domain.)

The only problem I can think of using this setup/theme are commercial games, which we could just add a separate section for them.

Also, not regarding the HOPE suggestion, the following domains are available:

www.oppappstore.com
www.oppmarket.com

Hope's not a bad idea, but why do we need a new domain? Why not use a subdomain instead, like so: hope.openpandora.org

-God Ginrai

Back