Ordered The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

RoboJoe32

Will I enjoy this series? could someone give me a few small snippets that aren't spoilers but amuseing/interesting quotes from it? I have a feeling i'll find it pretty neat. Also if I like it, what other book series would I similarly enjoy? (gotta take a break from the PC, eyes are acting up to light and such)

Can't fault the first three books, I loved them...the last two are an aquired taste I think but still have their merits....read and you shall find out.

Alrighty, I can't wait :D Also as a useless side bit of info I got the hard cover one, I dunno why. I think it's because when I think of a book I don't think of the paperback ones with the pages that fly back wildly when you try to hold your place :p

I have all of them, however its not pulling me in and while I enjoy the first chapter the second merely bores me - its a shame but I just cant bring myself to get past it :(

the babel fish quote is awesome (I can't remeber it word for word though):

"I refuse to prove I exist" said God

"because proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing"

"Ah" said man "but the babel fish is a dead giveaway, the only way a creature so useful could possibly exist is if it was created by God."

"The babel fish therefore is proof that you exist and by your own logic, that means you don't"

"bugger" said god and dissapeared in a puff of smoke

Man then went on to prove that white was black and black was white and was shortly killed while crossing a zebra crossing

indeed, indeed. An excellent quote.

"It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination."

Sounds like a combo of philosophy, insightful humour, and fuzzy logic. Sounds interesting already.

c0ncept posted on Apr 17 2005 at 06:49 PM said:
comics in general are great if you have a short attention span (which I don't), Pinkspider have you read Domu: A Childs Dream?
Not yet; the mangas ive read:
- Blade of the immortal
- Naruto
- Ghost In The Shell (1000x better than the movie)
- Akira (again much better)
- Lone Wolf and Cub
- Vegabond
- Trigun
- Cowboy Bebop

Last edited by a moderator:
The first book annoyed me (logic goes out the window + I didn't sympathise with the characters much) despite its occassional hilarious sections. The 2nd book made up for all the shortcomings of the 1st book (by explaining everything that was unexplained before) and more, but the ending didn't seem to make any sense, the 3rd & 4th books go further downhill, but eventually it starts to pick up again. I'm not done the 5th book yet.

If you like the humour in the series but think it should fit together a bit better as a story, I'd reccommend any book by Terry Pratchett, best known for his Discworld series of fantasy books (they're the ones with the really bright insanely-drawn covers). The first one in the series ("The Colour of Magic") would be a good place to start, or failing that "Jingo", "The Thief of Time" are my favourites. Stay AWAY from "The Truth"; it's one of his worst books.

so long and thanks for all the fish :D

I listened to the audio books read by Douglas Adams ages ago, was really good, but motorists seeing me listening to it on my bike pissing myself must have wondered wtf I was on!!

Only prob was that I missed the last chapter or three... that'll teach me to download off Suprnova :(

RoboJoe32 posted on Apr 17 2005 at 05:59 PM said:
Sounds like a combo of philosophy, insightful humour, and fuzzy logic. Sounds interesting already.

That sums up Douglas Adams to a T!

I just got the old BBC series on DVD, its great

Last edited by a moderator:
Back