Organisation Of The File Archive

garethp1745

Still Fresh
Is it me or is the organisation of some of the file archive just a bit confusing take for example the emulators I'd much prefer to see the next level down to be divided into systems so then authors can put the relevent emulator into the right area. Also some of the authors just create a new file rather than updating what is already in the archive. Discuss....

Gareth

garethp1745 posted on Oct 3 2006 at 02:36 PM said:
Is it me or is the organisation of some of the file archive just a bit confusing take for example the emulators I'd much prefer to see the next level down to be divided into systems so then authors can put the relevent emulator into the right area. Also some of the authors just create a new file rather than updating what is already in the archive. Discuss....

Well, the emulators are already sorted a bit, simply by SNES: <name of the emulator>

Problem with categories here is that there exist dozens of systems, if you use a category for each one, it's gonna be confusing...

About updating: Usually, I try to update each file, there shouldn't be different versions of the same file in the archive. However, I may overlook something. Just drop me an eMail or a PM whenever I find one and I'll check and fix it.

Last edited:
Is it possible for authors to update files yet? The last time I tried (which admittedly was a long time ago) the update function was broken and wouldn't link to the newly uploaded file.

What I found mostly confusing in the file archive the comments.
Sometimes a new version comes along of say an emulator and the comments for the previous versions are still left there and e.g. sometimes can be misleading if say 3 or 4 new updates come out in a year. I think the comments should be timestamped (dated) so as if the person reading the comments would know that the people who commented about a certain file where refering to a say 0.6 version and others about th 0.7 etc.

d_lamer2003 posted on Oct 3 2006 at 07:25 AM said:
What I found mostly confusing in the file archive the comments.
Sometimes a new version comes along of say an emulator and the comments for the previous versions are still left there and e.g. sometimes can be misleading if say 3 or 4 new updates come out in a year. I think the comments should be timestamped (dated) so as if the person reading the comments would know that the people who commented about a certain file where refering to a say 0.6 version and others about th 0.7 etc.

AGREED!

Either that or have the exact file name they're refering to, so that we know which version number they were writing about.

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Oct 3 2006 at 04:18 PM said:
Is it possible for authors to update files yet? The last time I tried (which admittedly was a long time ago) the update function was broken and wouldn't link to the newly uploaded file.

It always worked, you simply cannot upload and review the file yourself, you need to wait for me to review it ;)

Last edited:
Back