[Os] Package Manager

limestrael

Still Fresh
Hello !

I was just wondering if the Angstrom Linux running on the Pandora would feature a package manager - such as Debian's Apt-Get - (since Pandora is easy2connect to the Internet, I think it may be useful), and if yes, what is (or will be) the main depository address, so that I'd be able to check on the available packages.

If not, would that be doable in the future ? The maintain of the depository would not necessarily be done by the Pandora team but also by contibutors.

(I've seen a related thread, but it was about the GP2X, not the Pandora).

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi is the main archive.

Some people are doing others, but none are ready as of yet. Keep an eye on the forum for updates.

Squidge said:
Some people are doing others, but none are ready as of yet. Keep an eye on the forum for updates.
Yep; I, for example, am doing a repository system currently called "PND Package Manager" (in lack of a better name); see this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do some reading; its been beaten to death, and is actually a complicated topic. WE shoudl make a FAQ about it one of these days...

jeff

skeezix said:
Do some reading; its been beaten to death, and is actually a complicated topic.

Sorry, I did search... quite quickly but I did.

Doesn't Angstrom have its own package manager anyway? (I assumed it had something similar to Debian/Arch built in). Otherwise it'd be much like LFS. We don't want to end up being forced to use multiple package managers for a limited amount of software, that'll get fiddly and just be plain tedious (referring to software that's designed purely for the Pandora).

Enverex said:
Doesn't Angstrom have its own package manager anyway? (I assumed it had something similar to Debian/Arch built in). Otherwise it'd be much like LFS. We don't want to end up being forced to use multiple package managers for a limited amount of software, that'll get fiddly and just be plain tedious (referring to software that's designed purely for the Pandora).
The Ångström system will not be used for anything except core updates (but you can of course use it if you want to sacrifice the space on the NAND), because since it relies persistent storage, it won't allow for installing stuff to SD cards (because SD cards are constantly swapped), so we need a new system. That's why the PND package system was invented. Use the forum search for more information bout that.

dflemstr said:
Enverex said:
The Ångström system will not be used for anything except core updates (but you can of course use it if you want to sacrifice the space on the NAND), because since it relies persistent storage, it won't allow for installing stuff to SD cards (because SD cards are constantly swapped), so we need a new system. That's why the PND package system was invented. Use the forum search for more information bout that.

Yeah, reading about it now, I'm just used to Linux and thus used to package managers in some form. Last I read about PND though was that it's currently pretty much non-existant other than bits of the repo. I'll look around more to see if I'm missing something though.

Pandora is not released yet, so of course its vapour ;) But it is also up in the public repository and working ;)

Pretty much all package managers assume single target filesystem, not filesystems coming and going or multiple cards merged into the filesystem at a time, and so on; ie: they're hard drive centric.

Get any usual Linux dist now, use apt-get and try to get it to isntall stuff on both /usr/lib and on /mnt/your-sd-card and get something sensible going on.. going to be a mess.

So we had toake up something :)

ipkg will be used for firmware updates (for instance), or if you just want to use it, for interna stuff; pnd or pxml.xml type drectories for mounted apps.

jeff

Back