Package Manager Repos

Would you want one just for the Pandora?

• Yes, PORTAGE!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, APT!

• Yes, YUM!

• As long as it has a GUI I'm fine.

• Why not just use SD cards?

• All of this is just a bad idea. (Explained below)

• Total voters

I'd have to say APT, the aptitude package manager is more widely accepted for most distro's including most notably ubuntu, which in my humble opinion is the only respectable linux distro out there and will make compatibility with most debian based distros just that much easier and progressive.

in my experience apt-get install is much faster than yum install (even with yum on the faster machine)

Running Debian etch all the way!!! LOL Ubuntu .....pfft..actually though i considered moving to ubuntu which is basically debian sid with patches but haven't mustered up the courage yet

KRH said:
the only respectable linux distro
What makes you think that?
I second that. Ubuntu will not let you do anything outside the damned GUI. All of the configuration files are named or placed strangely, Xorg conf is a pain, their console framebuffer doesn't play nicely with half the video cards out there, and it is LOW resolution by comparison. There are plenty of nice things, and plenty of bad things about Ubuntu.

I'd say Gentoo, but there are tons of "respectable" distros out there. RHLE, SuSE, Knoppix, TRK, Damn Small, SLAX and others I use on a daily basis.

Don't make me start another poll over a Linux distro vs Linux distro war. I've got enough of those up for the time being, and even an OS War thread.

Besides its all Unix-based, so aren't we all on the same team here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooka said:
sindbad: you would only have the db for the nand stuff on the nand, have db files on the sd for the sd contents would be best imo (once again, this is all pretty much ficticious...)
Apparently, someone has already done this. Apt-walkabout

Last edited by a moderator:
Back