Os Snippet Request

Near_Kstor

I'm quite in a hurry, so I'm gonna be fast.

Could we see on the next video some action regarding the switching between XFCE and PMenu?
Also, perhaps showing off boot from SD Card (and actually choosing from which SD to boot?)

That's all I'd like to see =]
Thanks =D

PMenu isn't ready to be shown, according to that dude that did a preview-review of the pandora, having visited ED

But still, the Pandora should be able to boot another Linux Distros from SD.

I'm just curious about how it is done, since I saw on the new videos that we have that nice blue screen during the XFCE Loading, and was wandering when in that time we would select where to boot from.

El Jefe said:
PMenu isn't ready to be shown, according to that dude that did a preview-review of the pandora, having visited ED

Was it due to the version of the OS that ED happen to have running, if so then Craig's Pandora maybe able to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Near-kun said:
I'm just curious about how it is done
To boot an alternate OS (one that is not on the internal NAND), you hold one of the action buttons during startup and the Pandora will attempt to boot from one of the SD cards instead. Not sure if there is an actual boot menu yet, but if not, there likely will be one eventually.

Chip said:
Near-kun said:
I'm just curious about how it is done
To boot an alternate OS (one that is not on the internal NAND), you hold one of the action buttons during startup and the Pandora will attempt to boot from one of the SD cards instead. Not sure if there is an actual boot menu yet, but if not, there likely will be one eventually.

Oh, I like that. Rather sleek.

Something like:
Hold A to boot from SD1
Hold B to boot from SD2
Hold Y to boot from USB
Hold nothing to boot XFCE from the NAND

If is something like that, I think it should be ok, I guess....

Anyways, how exactly will work the switch to the PMenu? And will it work only with the XFCE or with any distro launched from the SDs ?

Near-kun said:
Anyways, how exactly will work the switch to the PMenu? And will it work only with the XFCE or with any distro launched from the SDs ?

Just like you would select the DE/WM on any other distro, except that SLiM does not use a mouse so you have to press some key to cycle through the list.

I have not seen any copy/paste actions yet and how top put the panda in sleep mode. Also some icon moving and reordering would be great to see.

Also, does anyone know what video player craig used in his early pandora videos?(and/or skin?)
because the newest videos have this ugly media player i dont like at all...its big...has not much info...and few colors.

btw, what bootleader does the pandora use?

is it a proprietery one or is it GRUB?

If its is grub, or atleast like grub, you cold use a command line to manually boot from whatever

I see, thanks for quick answer

I guess alot of us are f5ing like crazy now that the pandora is
near-death-note.jpg

borgqueenx said:
I have not seen any copy/paste actions yet and how top put the panda in sleep mode. Also some icon moving and reordering would be great to see.

Also, does anyone know what video player craig used in his early pandora videos?(and/or skin?)
because the newest videos have this ugly media player i dont like at all...its big...has not much info...and few colors.
iirc they haven't implemented a full sleep mode yet as the procedure of doing so for such custom devices is very complicated.

the media player is probably mplayer, the most basic player in linux. Again, that is just my guess.

How to boot from SD?

Well, preparing an SD is trivial; I can document it if you want, but in essence..

The chip has a limited filesystem boot option right in it, which makes the panda unbrickable; it knows how to read a very specific FAT setup which in turn houses the kernel, and the args you pass (using a bootscript ideally, so you don't have to type) tell the kernel what to do from there; the ideal setup is two partitions .. FAT to boot, and then most of the SD as ext2 or ext3 (say), with the OS image on it. Alternatively, you can do two SDs, one for FAT for boot, and the other for the image (say); this is how we do development.

So you want to boot another OS.. prepare an SD (partition, copy kernel over, unpack the OS onto the second partition) and you're done, good to go, can boot that one instead of the one on NAND.

Naturally, spare permitting, you can partition your NAND up and stick the other OS on there, and then boto from that, based on an SD-menu say. Or if someone wanted to make a bootmenu, could be possible to switch OSes and boot it all from NAND.

So yeah, multi-OSes is piece of cake.

jeff

skeezix said:
... and then boto from that....
might want to fix that.

Personally I wouldn't want to partition the NAND too much. The PSP did that, even though it has only 1 OS.

Back