Oton - New Game Console

'Receive instant new games daily created by the OTON artificial intelligence network'

:lol: :D :lol: :D

Is the oton artificial intelligence network something like skynet? Soon the machines will rule the world!!!

But don't worry otons will be so crap, humanity will massacre them in droves.

I am pretty sure, this project would never exist without the Success of the OUYA KS campaign. Not htey all come out of their dirt holes and try to grab a piece of the big cace it seems. :rolleyes: I expect much more of this stuff to come and I'm sure the most of them will fail.

That was indeed a fine load of fresh, warm oxen manure. And they already have 4 vict...backers on their not-quite-kickstarter-ripoff that will instantly take your money from you without any guarantee that anything ever gets built. Hoo boy.

Ummmm.

so.

er

OK..?

Prime example of why the PR guys should never design the product. ever.

Buzzword central.

That was indeed a fine load of fresh, warm oxen manure. And they already have 4 vict...backers on their not-quite-kickstarter-ripoff that will instantly take your money from you without any guarantee that anything ever gets built. Hoo boy.

but now you get a dvd! ;)

The developer of the OTON has reseponded to some of the negative article comments , see quote below

"Update: CEO of EnGeniux, Derrick Samuels, responded to my inquiry earlier today:

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Now I will try to give you as much detail information about OTON and about me. I’m a ex-disable U.S. Marine veteran and I taught myself everything about computers and gaming systems over a period of 4 years. My company was the first company to successful release and ship a open source game console. Our first system called EVO Smart Console appeared at the E3 show in 2006 and in 2007 at the CES show. EVO was the first company to ship a voice control console and convergence device. My other company Envizions was in kicked off in 2004 with just $5 weekly contributions from family and friends. We shipped and sold out the EVO unit from 2008 to 2010. We made a announcement for our EVO 2 powered by Android in 2011 but canceled it once Ouya was announced. We had to do something new and change gaming forever with OTON. So building the OTON console isn’t nothing new to us. I wanted to let you know about our history because this isn’t listed on the site at this moment. We will post it soon. We are real and our desire is to innovate gaming is real.

First let me say we have develop production code for the OTON console. How OTON work is fairly simple and a process I figured out with over three years to study and fail with the concept. Trying to keep your company competitive with the big three you have to innovate. I had three years to get this software to the production code status hence we reach out to the community for help. I know it’s a shock to people but believe the OTON software is legit. The $99 price is like all kickstarters early bird offers to drive donations. These units will retail for $179 to $579 respective if we make it to market. Now are we trying to do a cash grab. No. If we don’t meet our goal I will refund every penny and send each backer a “Thank You” card for the effort out of my pocket.

The reason we offer the disc is to let our backers test the software and give us feedback while they wait on the final console. Just like Redhad and it’s Fedora community we offer our users the tool to give us feedback on OTON so we can improve the code. No other kickerstarter I know can guarantee early product so soon because we were already working on code with limited funds to develop it. The reason we decided to charge up front was to lock in the funds to turn around to our manufacturer asap for building units. We understand the delay when launching a new product. I can provide manufacturer contact info if you wish? They flew down to meet us and loved the idea. If we could do it all over again..I would wait until after the fund end to collect money if people think it’s a cash grab. We have done this before and have 10 years of experience. We tried to do Kickstarter but their hardware policy has changed.

We knew OTON would spark excitement and discussing but not the fact people think we are trying to scam people. I love this business, I like to see my customers happy and enjoy what we develop. I wish people would give us some of the same respect that Ouya received. Now I know if we mess up then call us out and I will be the first person to say we were wrong. We have proved that we can deliver and we can let you email a few customers to get feedback.I apologize if I’m so passionate. OTON is the most important console of a generation and one I want to define my career. Our supporters are working hard and I appreciate the effort especially being a old leather neck. Your team is everything and we hate some of the bad press that OTON is receiving . Most of it was our fault but we wish people would just ask us instead of it’s a scam. I’m a open book. I want to build relationships and share some of the cool stuff we have in the works. You think OTON is awesome wait to see what’s next if we hit our goal. One last fact. We switch from Envizions to the Engeniux project because we wanted OTON to be produce under the EnGeniux project.

I’m deeply sorry for the long rant but we have heard so many people say it’s joke and it’s fake. OTON is real. I would be more than happy and extremely gracious to answer any questions about OTON and the possibilities. I hope we can start over and get some real OTON facts on the web. We plan to offer a media website the chance to announce that we will let readers demo the alpha OTON UI before the kickstarter is over! Never done with a kickstarter project. I’m all about excitement. Life is already hell so let’s bring some cool hardware to market and make a few people happy! I’m so confident that if OTON doesn’t produce 1k unique levels we will refund customers money back if we get funded no questions asked. I also attach a Wikipedia link and a few of our CES EVO floor images and a few images of EVO.

I hope to hear from you soon to talk OTON. I promise discover for OTON will be fun! This platform is doable in 2013 if the press get behind us and get it done! i promise my next email want be so long! :)

Wiki Link: http://en.wikipedia....O_Smart_Console

P.S.Please look over any typo’s . Long day!

Best Regards,

Derrick SamuelsCEO/Founder

EnGeniux

801-5 Noble Street

Anniston, Ala 36201

www.OTONX.com

The Console From The Future Is Here!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Oookay...

We got someone who tells everyone he got a new console that can do amazing stuff like creating games itself and that they already got working code.

Naturally, no one believes him without proof (that was to be expected).

After receiving critical voices, he steps out and tells how successful he was earlier, and that he's experienced in the business (though it seems his experience is limited, otherwise he would've announced the product once he can SHOW it's working).

Now he's offering pictures of the EVO... and he soon wants to provide videos of the OTONX UI. Well, an UI is still not what everyone wants to see.

No one thinks the system is fake because they think an UI is hard to create.

What people want to see is the killer feature that produces games itself, and he still doesn't seem to want to show it....

Whatever he's doing, he doesn't seem experienced in marketing...

If you're gona call yourself a CEO and freely interact with potential customers then you should at least be able to string a sentence together properly.

If you're gona call yourself a CEO and freely interact with potential customers then you should at least be able to string a sentence together properly.

Well, honestly, he's no worse than the guy doing the GCW Zero (Justin, IIRC) in that department. He's got a lot of grammar errors, too, both in posts and on the GCW website.

I wish these people would realize that the more they try to convince others that they're legitimate the worse they look.

No one cares if he's a disabled ex-US marine, except we do care if he's just making that up to try to get people to root for him. And I think he is because I don't think the US military is in the habit of enlisting foreigners who learned English as a second language, which is evident by his broken English. Plenty of natural born citizens have awful spelling and grammar but I don't think they'd write the way he does.

And no one cares how much he loves the industry or how worked to learn about gaming. People give OUYA more respect because OUYA isn't making ridiculous claims and has presentations that are actually reasonable, in addition to not responding with broken English and manipulative pleas for support. And they went through the correct KS procedure.

But since it's obvious that they're not going to meet the $1m goal the question isn't really if they can deliver or anything or not (since they'll just say they didn't meet the necessary funding) but exactly what they'll do with the money they do receive.

This interview is great..

(warning: site is a little on the NSFW side)

http://www.egotastic.com/2012/12/egotastic-interview-engeniuxs-derrick-samuels-creator-of-evo-and-oton/

Travis Shuman: Starting things off right, you've claimed the OTON X has the ability to self-generate games. I’m sure you can understand the hesitation a lot of readers may have, considering it sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie. How exactly is this little console able to do what huge teams of educated developers and programmers do?

Derrick Samuels: First, thanks for reaching out to myself and the EnGeniux team. I know OTON seems crazy when people first heard about it. But the process that OTON uses to create games is somewhat complex but we’ll keep it simple for this interview. We created a special algorithm we call the ‘Game Creation Engine’. In this engine are pre-set parameters that OTON use to build games from inventory in its database. From that point OTON has an autonomous automation code that creates and deploys games. Now remember on the OTON UI we have two means of obtaining games. One is strictly the autonomous part and when you decide to create your own games OTON will assist with this effort as well. Trust me, I had three years to think about this and, in a nut shell, OTON is just a program creating other programs. That's how I see it.

How anyone could swallow this sort of response as legitimate is totally beyond me. I could make up better bullshit about this guy's product on the spot.

This whole thing reminds me of that Better off Ted episode where Ted and Veronica gave a presentation for a project that doesn't exist and was just a made up name.

Reminds me of Lotus 3 for the Amiga.

It could create random tracks as well as user generated based on letters you entered (so you could play the track EvilDragon and it would always be the same, everywhere).

So basically this engine takes a random or given set of sprites with random or given set of backgrounds and music and creates random or given levels for a random or given category (Jump'n'Run, Shooter, etc.)

Nothing too spectacular, if that's it.

Back