Otoy Cloud Gaming On Ipad

Spinja12

Still Fresh
Heard of Onlive, but they didn't list any kind of linux or ARM plugin.

Here's one of OTOY running Crysis on an IPAD
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/03/crysis-ipad-video/

Maybe it will work for the Pandora.

it can work on any device (juste need some work i think on) but need a very good Internet connexion. It just like video streming with control information

They're inaccurate when they say it runs on the ipad. That would be like me saying, because i'm using google at the time, that my computer is running google.

More or less, it's displayed and controlled from an ipad.

But to the regular user it is indistinguishable ... until internet service is unavailable. ;)

A client/server system always lags! You don't want this technology if you are the kind of gamer that needs millisecond responses.

The trick is that you (the client) only gets the visual information send to your system, and the input commands that you give are send back to the server. This very minimal information needs to be send over quite a distance however, and it all needs to be calculated, etc. It needs quite a decent mainframe server to get everything done in time, without you noticing the difference between local gaming and their server-based gaming. And the more people on the servers, the more it starts to lag. Also, they are not going to give you this service for free. Probably their best case scenario is that they want a system like Steam in combination with server-based gaming, with fees on top. This way you can take total control of the gaming world. You can make various subscription models for this kind of setup.

No more illegal copies possible, as gaming is only possible via server-based environment. Voila!

I'm all for non-illegal gaming, but seriously, don't take a subscription with these people. Ever!

Within a timespan of now and ten years most of the peoples systems will be virtual, in hands of the gigantic companies like these. Google's online Chrome OS will be one of the first things you will see in this direction. This is no conspiracy bullshit, it will become fact. It'll be like the old days of mainframes and terminals, only now on a massive scale.

Pay the fees, get connected. Don't pay, and take care of yourself (which has limited possibilities).

What worries me is what happens to the games I bought through them if they go out of business :blink:

Jourdy288 said:
What worries me is what happens to the games I bought through them if they go out of business :blink:
They go away. That's the new business plan: you don't buy video games, you rent them, forever. Or until the company goes out of business. Or decides to upgrade and drop support for your old games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I kinda wanted to say something about the kind of dependency on the company that owns the system, but didn't want to derail.

Anyway, it's easy to see what happens when customers become dependent on a single company providing service to huge amount of masses (like it happens with software from a certain company). Choice is good. When users loose the ability (or will) to choose between service providers, it all goes down the drain.

I wonder how long before these companies become powerful enough to buy exclusivity rights and such. That would be a dark day for gamers, indeed.

WizardStan said:
Jourdy288 said:
They go away. That's the new business plan: you don't buy video games, you rent them, forever. Or until the company goes out of business. Or decides to upgrade and drop support for your old games.

Midway went bankrupt, microsoft took umk3 off of the xbox live marketplace. I can still play this game on xbox, but if I were to lose or delete it, it would take quite a bit of work to find the download again (searching through your download history)

Mofokubik said:
Midway went bankrupt, microsoft took umk3 off of the xbox live marketplace. I can still play this game on xbox, but if I were to lose or delete it, it would take quite a bit of work to find the download again (searching through your download history)
That's because you've downloaded it. You have some kind of copy somewhere that you actually own, even if it is only digitally on your hard drive. These games from otoy and online, there is no download for the game. It exists entirely on their server. If they go out of business or simply decide to stop supporting that game, you have no way of playing it.

The video LOOKS fake and gay...

How are you supposed to move around, shoot, change weapons and all that crap, simply by twiddling your thumbs?

shunun said:
The video LOOKS fake and gay...

How are you supposed to move around, shoot, change weapons and all that crap, simply by twiddling your thumbs?
+1

:D

OMG!!! This means I caould play Crysis 2 on my 3 year old computer that only has 512MB of RAM!!!

CokeCanNinja said:
OMG!!! This means I caould play Crysis 2 on my 3 year old computer that only has 512MB of RAM!!!

Of course!
As long as you live close to the telephone exchange, can afford to pay for the subscription, live in the US (onlive have a deal to ensure that data is always routed along one path in the US) and have a really fast internet connection!

I'm all for it to be honest. The subscription would no doubt be a hell of a lot cheaper than the quad core pc i'm going to buy this weekend.

Only thing is: it's all lies. It's 2010 and some of the gaming companies out today who know weverything there is to know about compression and online play, can only get games to work online with limited success (how many people still get lag:everyone) then theres no way a company that's been doing "stealh development" for the last 7 years (business speech for f**k all) going to better people like Sony, Microsoft, Youtube or Blizzard.

I think you'll get a steady rate of 30fps and a sh't load of lag.

But hey, I can't wait to be proven wrong!

the reason people get lag in online play is because some people have low or intermittent internet connections. if i lived in japan i could justify the subscription since web is free and 10x speeds here in the states.

b1llygo4t said:
the reason people get lag in online play is because some people have low or intermittent internet connections. if i lived in japan i could justify the subscription since web is free and 10x speeds here in the states.
except that the server would be in the US. You'd be looking at huge lag as the signal went round the world.

WizardStan said:
b1llygo4t said:
except that the server would be in the US. You'd be looking at huge lag as the signal went round the world.

*AND IF THE SERVERS WHERE IN JAPAN ASWELL

b1llygo4t said:

Fun fact : Round-Trip speed of light delay from Los Angeles to Tokyo == 58.8006787 milliseconds

Back