Ots HSPDA module to avoid lisencing costs?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
People have repeatedly stated that putting 3G stuff in a pandora-successor would be prohibitively complicated and expensive, but like the title says, are there any mass-produced and already licensed 3G/4G/whatever modules that could be bought in large numbers and used in a P2?

Also, doesn't the openmoko/GT04 family of phones have all that phoney stuff? How did they manage it?

People have repeatedly stated that putting 3G stuff in a pandora-successor would be prohibitively complicated and expensive, but like the title says, are there any mass-produced and already licensed 3G/4G/whatever modules that could be bought in large numbers and used in a P2?

Also, doesn't the openmoko/GT04 family of phones have all that phoney stuff? How did they manage it?
Honestly, I don't like 3G/4G support in products that are not cell phones or routers. 3G/4G services are so prohibitively expensive that I would rather add such functionality to my devices through a hotspot that I can connect all my devices to, rather than having to pay for each device that I want. And I wouldn't want that kind of feature to be driving up the costs on the device I was going to purchase for the same reasons.

-God Ginrai

^ fair enough pov - I'm considering whether its possible right now, not whether its desirable.

Back