Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
"yet"

As in theres going to be faster models available :p

The fastest speed ulv cpu is 1.2ghz atm.

Hopefully there'll be a model with that cpu in. Most guys using the eee pc (yes, i know you're sick of hearing about it) use a stripped down version of winxp. Right now, with info I have from the test most things have to be turned off like wifi to get decent latency.

1 last thing, I dont consider it to be precious, it's just another interesting device/gadget with a nice price :)

Changing the topic somewhat, does anyone have any idea what there will be from day 1 for developers? Will we see SDL libraries, Python, etc support for it?

craigix said:
Yes everything should be up and running. We hope to show some stuff very soon.
Will these high-level libs like SDL take advantage of the powerful graphics hardware?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been working on the following mockup, for a dashboard I'd like to develop myself. I have a lot of cool ideas. I'm not trying to make it the default dashboard fot the craiginator, only a replacement interface, so I hope it's as easy or more to replace the gui as in the GP2X.

Oh, and sorry the problem with the d's, it's a truetype font problem, the font is displaying the d's as b's :blink:

craiginatorhomemockupfolt6.png

The button at the bottom is a icon bar (like the dinamic icon bar on mac os x) that shows up when you touch it with the stylus. It contains the main apps: home, browser, file explorer, media, settings... I have been thinking about, but not included it on the mockup, a volume slider, on the right of the screen. Touch slider to change volume :p

To make some things happen, we'll need cooperation. For example, I was thinking about the file archive. It could have .deb packages, and also a description and an icon and image or screenshot, and a list of top 10 most downloaded, top rated, latest files added to the archive, etc.. and the package manager of the craiginator would download the .deb and install it with dpkg. Why not an apt source? Because then we'll lost the icon and image/screenshot, not sure how to solve it using apt. And also because it should been sync'ed with a main server, don't know if its a good thing on a handheld. A solution could be a server with only the images, each image with a name matching the .deb filename, ie: squidgesnes-0.56-arm.deb squidgesnes-0.56-arm.png. What do you think?

I'm going to develop the alternative menu. Easily extensible via python (or lua?) and c++ plugins. And also a sdk to develop applications that integrate consistently on the dashboard style. Natively developed on SDL+OpenGL but easily to replace the rendering interface thanks to its modular design.

That's my idea. Feel free to cricitice it.

efegea said:
I have been thinking about, but not included it on the mockup, a volume slider, on the right of the screen. Touch slider to change volume :p
Not necessary because the craiginator is going to have a volume slider or dial. (can't remember which :huh: )

mmm..yes, you are right. Don't know why did I think the volume was software - controlled (perhaps because the screen backlight is going to be software based and I then got confused :p )

EDIT: if this thing is going to have mail reader, web browser, news feed reader, irc, instant messaging, why not a profile system? So each person that uses the device can switch profiles and if he/she wants use a password to protect it.

efegea said:
I have been working on the following mockup, for a dashboard I'd like to develop myself. I have a lot of cool ideas. I'm not trying to make it the default dashboard fot the craiginator, only a replacement interface, so I hope it's as easy or more to replace the gui as in the GP2X.
I'm going to develop the alternative menu. Easily extensible via python (or lua?) and c++ plugins. And also a sdk to develop applications that integrate consistently on the dashboard style. Natively developed on SDL+OpenGL but easily to replace the rendering interface thanks to its modular design.

That's my idea. Feel free to cricitice it.

Something about extensibility (possibility to ad modules), flexibility, needed memory, expected loading time?
My opinion: maybe a simple dashboard (typical console environment with added favorits) as startscreen and the "explorer" (as shown) is to open if needed.
But... it looks nice and practical! ;)

Alex. said:
craigix said:
Yes everything should be up and running. We hope to show some stuff very soon.
Will these high-level libs like SDL take advantage of the powerful graphics hardware?

It would be daft if it didn't, don't you agree?

Thinking about these screenshots, are people really interested in seeing SquidgeSnes for the Craiginator - I thought most of you preferred PocketSnes?

Squidge said:
Thinking about these screenshots, are people really interested in seeing SquidgeSnes for the Craiginator - I thought most of you preferred PocketSnes?
Your emu was playable at first and is faster till now! I would be glad if it will be the first at fullspeed and (unless the blessed spuidge will) the first on the new device! (??) B)

PS: Who had the idea of the name "craginator"?? Wich chronically sick brain associate with the name "craginator" an handheld ???? :lol:

PokeParadox said:
That GUI mockup looks quite nice! :)
I also wouldn't be against the notion of having SquidgeSNES on the Craiginator! :)
I'd go further. SquidgeSNES would be great to have on this machine.

PocketSNES probably *is* superior, but it doesn't sound as playful!

I agree completely about that.

And why in the world did politics get pulled into the price issue. I really could careless about US economy going down the toilet. It was bound to happen eventually...and has actually been happening for whew too damn long...

I absolutely love efegea's idea. While it may not be exactly what we are looking for (why the wasted space?) it's definitely close! Here are some modifications I'd make.

efegea said:
The button at the bottom is a icon bar (like the dinamic icon bar on mac os x) that shows up when you touch it with the stylus. It contains the main apps: home, browser, file explorer, media, settings... I have been thinking about, but not included it on the mockup, a volume slider, on the right of the screen. Touch slider to change volume :p
That's neat! I like it, but have an optional idea: how about if, when you double-tap on a title bar, that module expands or pops "up" and over to cover the other three? (We are, after all, dealing with 3D-capable hardware.) Any tapping at all on any module "highlights" it, and then the icon bar could have related options or software.

In fact, instead of having the icon bar contain shortcuts for applications, why not have another bar along the bottom of the screen that contains a row of icons, and a button in the center similar to the one in your mock-up that would provide the context-sensitive options I mentioned earlier?

efegea said:
To make some things happen, we'll need cooperation. For example, I was thinking about the file archive. It could have .deb packages, and also a description and an icon and image or screenshot, and a list of top 10 most downloaded, top rated, latest files added to the archive, etc.. and the package manager of the craiginator would download the .deb and install it with dpkg. Why not an apt source? Because then we'll lost the icon and image/screenshot, not sure how to solve it using apt. And also because it should been sync'ed with a main server, don't know if its a good thing on a handheld. A solution could be a server with only the images, each image with a name matching the .deb filename, ie: squidgesnes-0.56-arm.deb squidgesnes-0.56-arm.png. What do you think?
Your solution is exactly what I was thinking. The address of the deb file would be the basis for the data files for everything else such as screenshots. The result is backwards compatibility with apt-get, and yet an extension that provides a screenshot. As for description and icon, I believe that's already provided (Ubuntu's Add/Remove screen, for instance, implements this).

efegea said:
Excellent! I'm glad you're thinking like this!

Being the Compiz-loving person I am, I hope at some point you'll be able to create fancy effects that take advantage of the hardware. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back