Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
garzyboi said:
Also will USB networking still be an option???

or are we just gonna go straight wifi?
Wifi will be easier unless your running the thing off batteries. USB networking will take less juice, but if your going to have it chained to a cable, may as well have power as well, so may as well use Wifi.

USB Networking is a software thing, so it doesn't really matter either way. Nothing stupid, like connecting the usb socket to an SD reader chip (Hi, GPH ;)), is going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
imec said:
If your skin is on fire from the radiation the power line above you is generating, then WiFi probably won't work. Just go out and buy a new router, it's a good investment to have a hotspot in your home.
Except that power lines emit ELF at a frequncy about 7 of orders of magnitude below that of Wi-fi.

Oh for gods sake, you people are confusing Electromagetic Waves, Electromagnetic Fields and Electric Fields.

sam fisher said:
It means that bill gates entire fortune would half if he lived here. It would actually quarter as everything here costs twice as much to buy.
He'd still live like a king though. A quarter of infinity is still infinity ;)

sam fisher said:
atomicthumbs said:
imec said:
If your skin is on fire from the radiation the power line above you is generating, then WiFi probably won't work. Just go out and buy a new router, it's a good investment to have a hotspot in your home.
Except that power lines emit ELF at a frequncy about 7 of orders of magnitude below that of Wi-fi.

Oh for gods sake, you people are confusing Electromagetic Waves, Electromagnetic Fields and Electric Fields.

Nnno, the power lines emit ELF "radio" (not strictly radio, as that only goes down to 20KHZ) waves. They're plenty long enough.

Seriously, ELF listening is made crappy by a constant hum around 60/50 hertz. Anywhere.

I'd know, I'm a radio amateur. :rolleyes:

I'm not considering radio terms. I'm considering EM Spectrum classifications and I have never heard of "ELF Radio". But radio waves generally have some pretty long wave lengths. Compared to other sections of the spectrum that is.

Edit: And wifi uses waves in the area around 2.4Ghz.

I phrased it poorly, I meant in comparison to the DS. Because I know with the DS you would need to set up a connection between it and a router in order to get an online match going from abroad.

After taking a look at the Yabause Saturn emulator, I remain convinced that Saturn emulation is very possible on this system.

Vince2501 said:
I know with the DS you would need to set up a connection between it and a router
You have to do that with any Wifi device if you want it to access the internet :blink:

Squidge said:
Vince2501 said:
I know with the DS you would need to set up a connection between it and a router
You have to do that with any Wifi device if you want it to access the internet :blink:

Maybe he wants options so that he can automatically connect to preferred connections, but otherwise connect to the best unlocked connection.

sam fisher said:
I'm not considering radio terms. I'm considering EM Spectrum classifications and I have never heard of "ELF Radio". But radio waves generally have some pretty long wave lengths. Compared to other sections of the spectrum that is.

Edit: And wifi uses waves in the area around 2.4Ghz.
Well, yeah. ELF is the frequencies from 3 to 30 hertz. I should have been talking SLF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_low_frequency

Don't try and read wikipedia to sound intelligent. People accuse me of that, and a while ago it was true. I have found my A level courses a lot more interesting. Wikipedia is still interesting but just not the right thing to learn from.

It's laughable(ironic?) that sam is telling someone else not to use wikipedia after the amount of crap he's copied and pasted!

Squidge said:
It's laughable(ironic?) that sam is telling someone else not to use wikipedia after the amount of crap he's copied and pasted!
I don't remember ever doing that. I just phrase all my answers in the original context as I remember things as whole sentences, not a "meaning" but a literal definition. DCGM and Nova made up the wikipedia thing though I did used to read it a lot.

Hello,
Maybe it's too late but something I would love to see on this machine is the 3D sound like this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Anyway, I don't know if you need special hardware to do this.

sam fisher said:
Don't try and read wikipedia to sound intelligent. People accuse me of that, and a while ago it was true. I have found my A level courses a lot more interesting. Wikipedia is still interesting but just not the right thing to learn from.
I didn't. I was just saying a wikipedia link, as I can't easily copy and paste from books.

I knew most of this stuff before I ever discovered Wikipedia.

(Which is a good place to learn from, just make sure there're citations, or else it could be innaccurate.)

sam fisher said:
The British economy has ALWAYS been one of the strongest in the world. Oh, and a currency being worth more than twice another is a HUGE thing. It means that bill gates entire fortune would half if he lived here. It would actually quarter as everything here costs twice as much to buy.
If he was buying something and it cost twice as much as it would in America that would mean that things that cost a dollar here would cost a pound there so if someone had $10 and sandwiches cost $5 then he could buy two... then he would go to england and have his currency exchanged for 5 pounds and since sandwiches cost double they would cost 5 pounds so he could buy one sandwich... half of the two he could buy in America... not a fourth right?

Sandwiches are a bad example for that sort of thing... a £5 sandwich better be the best darn sandwich I can imagine, AND it should come with chips.

But basically, yeah. The numbers are the same, at least for things like movies, games, music, books and such, but the currencies differ in value wildly. With a slight deviation around high end tech where shops like www.ebuyer.co.uk do a very good job of matching the US prices, at least until you add VAT.

I think EAX is a bit different? Isn't it just for creating environments, or can it produce the 3D effect? I thought you made the 3D effect by a very small difference in frequency between the right and left channel (as well as changes in volume). Hmmmm.... I dunno, I haven't used EAX in awhile, you're probably right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back