Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
craigix said:
That's a nice looking GUI, we are probably going to use an off the shelf one to start with (with some tweaks). I got about 50% done on writing one for the previous SOC but now with the added power it would have to be redone with the additional hardware in mind, it was a similar 'keep it simple' set up though.

It would be nice to get something like Beryl running...
Well, thanks for the compliment anyway. :) Maybe someday, some programmer will make this as their main project for this console.
Alex. said:
I think full-fledged apps should be able to get out of the window mode. I want to be able to double tap anything everywhere, without it going back from fullscreen to windowed. Besides, multiple windows on a 4.x" screen? :)
I think that I should have said that it is mainly for viewing files, multi-tasking and switching between programs. And, I'm sure that the clicking-anywhere-on-the-window thing could be done, not by me, fairly easily.
Nova said:
I love it! I vote for that!

Nice choice of music btw!
Thank you, and thank you again! :D
A_SN said:
OMars : At this point if you're gonna have that type of GUI just use X11
What? ;)
Nr.56 said:
nice GUI! maybe you could make the both docks with the shortcuts scrollable (iphone like)
(!!!!! without scrollbars !!!!!)
touch and move up/down = scroll
touch and raise without moving = open program
:rolleyes:
exactly the size of icons i prefer!!!!
I'm flattered :blush: , but the scrolling idea might be patented by Apple. I'm telling you this because every iPhone-competing phone does not have that functionality, as far as I know.

Does anyone have a feature that they would like to see in this GUI concept?

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher said:
Everyone here loves a good mass debate. If you still don't see the hilarity yet then scream out the words "mass debate" at the top of your lungs...
I was not trying to be sarcastic or mean, I just thought the situation was funny. :p

OMars said:
A_SN said:
OMars : At this point if you're gonna have that type of GUI just use X11
What? ;)

Hehe, well yeah, your GUI thing is nice, but it presents all the features you find on pretty much every window manager/desktop environment based on X (X11/Xorg/XFree86 just call it what you want). So at this point, why not choose one of them instead? They'll be necessarily more complete/polished than anything you could create, plus already compatible with everything on Linux (since every GUI is based on X11...)

Who cares if its patented or not if it's homebrew? Unless you sell it, it's extremely doubtful Apple will even send you a C&D, let alone attempt a sue.

(and if they do, just say your based in russia, and there's no patent for it there :D )

OMars said:
Nr.56 said:
nice GUI! maybe you could make the both docks with the shortcuts scrollable (iphone like)
(!!!!! without scrollbars !!!!!)
touch and move up/down = scroll
touch and raise without moving = open program
:rolleyes:
exactly the size of icons i prefer!!!!
I'm flattered :blush: , but the scrolling idea might be patented by Apple. I'm telling you this because every iPhone-competing phone does not have that functionality, as far as I know.

is this possible? can everything (like finger movements) be patented??? i am really glad that nobody has patented shoe size 10, or the length of my dick... i would pay for patent infringements my whole life!

Nr.56 said:
is this possible? can everything (like finger movements) be patented??? i am really glad that nobody has patented shoe size 10, or the length of my dick... i would pay for patent infringements my whole life!
I wouldnt think of it as finger movements but "way of scrolling icons on a touchscreen via stylus or finger control"

I don't why you mention the size of your dick, unless it's either extremely small or excessively large? If it was the later, you most likely wouldn't be trying to tell people about it, so I'd say it's the former and your trying to make it sound larger?

Squidge said:
Nr.56 said:
I wouldnt think of it as finger movements but "way of scrolling icons on a touchscreen via stylus or finger control"

I don't why you mention the size of your dick, unless it's either extremely small or excessively large? If it was the later, you most likely wouldn't be trying to tell people about it, so I'd say it's the former and your trying to make it sound larger?

neither the one nor the other...average like shoe size 10 :lol:
(isn´t dick a synonym for nose??)

Guys, I found a great game. If the developers could be "persuaded" to give us the source/port it to the Craiginator, it would be perfect.

It's called Toribash. It's a turn-based, physics-based fighting game.

"What?" you might ask. I'll let the review speak for itself.

With the Craiginator's touchscreen and GPU, it would be perfect. Easy to port too, since it's an SDL game and you can vary the window/screen size. There's no Linux version of Toribash 3.0 as of yet, but it's in the works.

Oolite would be a pwning port. It's finally been ported to linux, but I don't know how portable it actually is.

hlide said:
because SH1 can be accessible to game developers ? i thought to have read somewhere that SH1 on Saturn was no accessible to program it. Can you imagine game developers to use this SH1 for any purpose else than controlling the cdrom driver ? I cannot.
So there is no point to emulate a SH1 if you could emulate a Sega CDROM driver. Do you really think we need to emulate up to the motor speed of a driver !?

I didn't mean so literally as to emulate motor speed :D But the basic functionality of how the CDROM subsystem worked should be, hence the SH-1. See, I bring this up because after much experimenting with the Saturn, I found some versions of it where the CDROM subsystem is on its own card..... if you remove it, the system behaves very strangely. Audio pitch changes, boot time is extended, some very odd results.... Some Saturn software out there doesn't run from the CDROM, it runs from the cartridge slot, and that theoretically would give it free reign of the system, SH-1 included....

icurafu said:
Yabause doesn't use multithreading, so X2 wont help.
Right; I said X2 because it indicates the architecture of my processor.... there are 2.1 GHz K7 and K8 CPUs with different performance attributes. Needless to say though, if a game runs at 30 FPS on a 2.1 GHz X2, it won't run properly on even a 1 GHz Cortex-A8, and actual clockrate of the chipset in the new handheld may vary from 550 to 1000 MHz or higher depending on yield.... so major work will need to be done to speed things up. That might be tricky when the PC version of the emulator is still under heavy development. But it would be interesting to see it work.

Exophase said:
Is there any chance someone could remove all the USA complaining posts from this thread? I don't actually care about off topic that much if it's at least a natural progression but the constant moaning is really ruining this thread for me :| Especially DaveC ;P
Well people who legitimately think the system is too expensive shouldn't just be arbitrarily removed from the thread.... USA buyers will be a significant portion of the sales and their opinions are important for that reason. Furthermore deleting posts from prospective buyers would indicate that the team making this handheld don't care about their customers' opinions, and that's the wrong message to send entirely...

Now I personally think $320ish isn't that much, if it has all the features discussed so far and it of high quality, no typical GPH-trademark fuckups....

icurafu said:
Yabause doesn't use multithreading, so X2 wont help.
new handheld may vary from 550 to 1000 MHz or higher depending on yield.... so major work will need to be done to speed things up.

It's not yeild, it's process. OMAP 3430 uses a cortex-a8 at 550MHz, but have demonstrated it at 1GHz using a different process.

The differeing process greatly reduces the energy efficiency at standby which makes it useless for mobile phones or PDAs.

If Craig and Co. want this device to be a game console + PDA it will obviously be clocked at about 550MHz with some degree of overclockability. If they want it to be a Game Console with fairly bad standby, they'll go 1GHz (If TI bothers to produce it) that is reported to overclock to 1.1 easily.

I'll be happy either way. I'll even be happy if the go for the freescale SoC

OMars said:
If you are running music along with your other programs, then there is a small bar at the top of the screen with music controls, and your current song's information. This is assuming that you can multi-task easily on this console. It does, after all, have 128MB of RAM. ;)

It combines the simple setup of a handheld's GUI with the expandability and capabilities of a Desktop GUI.

What do you guys think?
I think it doesn't allow for enough icons to be displayed and has alot of wasted space. Why do people insist on having most of the screen taken up by a huge screenshot of a game? That is redundant and dumb. It is best to be able to get to apps as quickly as possible without having to waste time with scrolling one by one in some small sequential strip. Some sort of icon matrix like any windows or Gmenu would be much quicker to navigate.

Stealth Bagel said:
Well people who legitimately think the system is too expensive shouldn't just be arbitrarily removed from the thread.... USA buyers will be a significant portion of the sales and their opinions are important for that reason. Furthermore deleting posts from prospective buyers would indicate that the team making this handheld don't care about their customers' opinions, and that's the wrong message to send entirely...

Now I personally think $320ish isn't that much, if it has all the features discussed so far and it of high quality, no typical GPH-trademark fuckups....
I was talking about the posts whining about the USA economy or president or whatever else. Not what you said.

DaveC said:
I think it doesn't allow for enough icons to be displayed and has alot of wasted space. Why do people insist on having most of the screen taken up by a huge screenshot of a game? That is redundant and dumb. It is best to be able to get to apps as quickly as possible without having to waste time with scrolling one by one in some small sequential strip. Some sort of icon matrix like any windows or Gmenu would be much quicker to navigate.
In my opinion this design is really practical, if you can use 4 scroll strips instead of 2 and your shortcuts can be sorted thereby. This design is not comparable with Gmenu because it replaces no filemanager (this is necessary as additional application) but it is an well arranged and easy to use start screen.

Quick fix for icon scarcity: make the ribbons on each end scrollable up and or down. Use an XML system for deciding how the base elements are laid out to set up your own GUI and even possibly create additional ribbons if you don`t like the wasted space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back