Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
whiskthecat said:
Yuglooc said:
Correct. The Deb (installation) file will also install any other program or library needed for your program to work.
Wow, impressive. Could this work over wifi? Also what about controls, its not like I can just grab the ARM firefox package and expect it to fit the Pandora's controls and screen resolution or can that be fixed with a library?

That is generally handled by the window manager, and hence, that would not be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Anything in there will run on the Pandora.

The keys are plastic.

Good to know that the keys are plastic. Would all those packages still run though? I thought because of the architecture that there would have to be special packages. For example, I can run ubuntu on my PS3 but that doesn't mean I can install any debian package. I have to find special packages that will install on PPC.

The archetecture does indeed have to be the same. Anything on there that has an ARM binary will run though, which is quite a large chunk of it. Or so I am told :)

Is it possible Pandora can come with a digital joystick add on? a d-pad is all well and good for consoles but not very authentic for arcade games. The gp2x joystick was crap but at least it was a joystick and you got that arcade feel when playing games in mame.

The gp2x screen was nice how does this one compare to the pandora? Is it bigger? I liked the gp2x mk1 screen with the scanlines and would like if it would be possible to add scanlines to for a more retro look.

Hirolaser said:
Is it possible Pandora can come with a digital joystick add on? a d-pad is all well and good for consoles but not very authentic for arcade games. The gp2x joystick was crap but at least it was a joystick and you got that arcade feel when playing games in mame.

The gp2x screen was nice how does this one compare to the pandora? Is it bigger? I liked the gp2x mk1 screen with the scanlines and would like if it would be possible to add scanlines to for a more retro look.
It should also come with dirty buttons (with the sticky dirt already installed), lots of scratches on the case and on the screen, and some sort of cigar smoke generator, for that fully authentic arcade experience. :rolleyes:

Joysticks were also used for the many hundreds of action games and adventures etc. of great Computers like IBM PC, C64, Amiga, Atari etc. so if we can have a keyboard, d-pad and analog sticks why not a digital joystick? after all this is supposed to be the ultimate emulaton handheld isn't it? It would also give people a choice of controls, to play games with d-pad or joystick.

Hirolaser said:
Joysticks were also used for the many hundreds of action games and adventures etc. of great Computers like IBM PC, C64, Amiga, Atari etc. so if we can have a keyboard, d-pad and analog sticks why not a digital joystick? after all this is supposed to be the ultimate emulaton handheld isn't it? It would also give people a choice of controls, to play games with d-pad or joystick.
It's a Linux computer with USB ports. In other words, any USB HID gamepads/etc. will work without needing any drivers. Plug four of them into a hub, then into your Pandora, and it into your TV, and you can get your Gauntlet on in style!

There's also a little hole in the d pad in that render, if you havent noticed it. I'm not sure if that's on purpose.

But yeah, if I really want it, I'll just be using my Saturn stick anyways. :lol:

Maybe they could do the same as clothes - "As new £10, 3 years use style - £25.". So the pandora could be sold at £200, but a version with sticky, dirty buttons and scratches could be sold for £275.

Yrx said:
There's also a little hole in the d pad in that render, if you havent noticed it. I'm not sure if that's on purpose.

But yeah, if I really want it, I'll just be using my Saturn stick anyways. :lol:
Or they could use my D-Pad design:

dpadstick2dr2.jpg

^_^

fusion_power, nice, but I've seen stuff like that snap off before. I guess it depends on your material being used. I had a Gravis gamepad that came with a little joystick that screwed in like that. Needless to say, mine broke off. In fact, I had two of them and they both broke off. :)

dewc said:
fusion_power, nice, but I've seen stuff like that snap off before. I guess it depends on your material being used. I had a Gravis gamepad that came with a little joystick that screwed in like that. Needless to say, mine broke off. In fact, I had two of them and they both broke off. :)
I had this Idea from my own old Gravis Gamepad. ;) This one here is made out of Metal, completely. Gravis just used a cheap plastick stick so of course this was an fragile thing. If Pad and Screw-In stick are made out of metal, everything should be stable. :)

javaJake said:
This thread has been replaced by a forum. I don't mind it hanging around for historical reasons, but its purpose is over and done. Can it please be locked?

Thanks!
Ha-ha! Nobody listened to you, and then you made another posting! :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, that was mean <_<

With regards to the above posts, I just had an image of someone brashly closing their Pandora onto the screw-in joystick :eek: Hope that's not me!

javaJake said:
You could have that if you slap another $25 onto the end of that price tag. ;)
I'm sure this would only be 25 Cent. ;) Metal is expensive but not THAT Expencive! And AFAIK the Dev team sayed, that the Pandora will be made out of a mix of plastic and Metal. So The Metal could be used for Buttons. Should be cheaper instead of making a full Metal case. :)
"I'm the Devil and I Love METAL" :lol:

fusion_power said:
javaJake said:
You could have that if you slap another $25 onto the end of that price tag. ;)
I'm sure this would only be 25 Cent. ;) Metal is expensive but not THAT Expencive! And AFAIK the Dev team sayed, that the Pandora will be made out of a mix of plastic and Metal. So The Metal could be used for Buttons. Should be cheaper instead of making a full Metal case. :)
"I'm the Devil and I Love METAL" :lol:

Depending on how flexible the lid is, you may run into trouble if the metal dpad touches and scratches your touchscreen. I guess we'd all buy screen protectors anyways.

Which brings up a good point: I hope the unit ships with screen protectors! It might be a bitch trying to find protectors to fit this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back