Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen so many silly arguments, I'm not even going to bother anymore, lol. Most of them won't be taken seriously anyways, so whatever.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there any kind of timetable for new information?

Stealth Bagel said:
Just like how no device on the market can have a dpad due to patents except-- almost any gaming device invented since the dawn of time... just making a point. I don't think this device even needs, nor should have, a keyboard. But if it must it should at least give the option to swivel the LCD over it so it's not in my way.
The patent of the Dpad is very specific which is why the Sony Playstation has bits missing in the center and the Xbox's have circle disc rather then a cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
timofonic said:
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/famili...rs/loongson.htm

What about this CPU? It's very cheap, low power consumtion and as fast as a Pentium 4 CPU.

Need more info. Where does it say the price, and where does it say its as fast a P4 ?

Looks to me like it's not an integrated solution, which means it's just a processor, not a system-on-a-chip, meaning 3D and everything else has to be implemented off-chip. I for one think the OMAP3430 has all the power needed and then some, plus it's a SoC solution so I would guess it's easier to design a full system around it since it already has most needed functions integrated.

Plus: we REALLY don't need another chip redecision, device redesign, and all the associated project delays, do we? ;)

No, but I'd still like timofonic to define 'cheap' and 'as fast as P4', and it defines neither on the site, so I'm curious where he got that info from.

Squidge said:
No, but I'd still like timofonic to define 'cheap' and 'as fast as P4', and it defines neither on the site, so I'm curious where he got that info from.

Well the Wiki link that timofonic provided says:

According to developers' paper published on the Journal of Computer Science and Technology, tests show that the Chinese chip can rival Intel Pentium 4 processor in performance and it was superior to the early series of the Pentium 4 CPUs, but the Chinese CPU could be produced at a much lower cost.

Couldn't find an exact price though.

fishybawb said:

According to developers' paper published on the Journal of Computer Science and Technology, tests show that the Chinese chip can rival Intel Pentium 4 processor in performance and it was superior to the early series of the Pentium 4 CPUs, but the Chinese CPU could be produced at a much lower cost.

Impressive :)

Hirolaser said:
I like the having the keyboard now, didn't at first but then I realised it'll be great for emulation of Computers of the 80s and ST,amiga dosbox, scummvm etc. I think the design of pandora looks retro, something from the 1980s (which is what I really like) so it will be great for emulation of computers, The white version looks especially retro but i hope it can be released as the same colour as Amiga and C64.
I think the colours should be the colours of the consoles, rather than red like one of the renders ive seen.

The colour choices should be
NES Grey. (lots of people would buy this colour cos retro nintendo stuff is fashonable at the moment)
Mega Drive, N64, Master System etc etc Black
and so on.

Turnip said:
Hirolaser said:
I like the having the keyboard now, didn't at first but then I realised it'll be great for emulation of Computers of the 80s and ST,amiga dosbox, scummvm etc. I think the design of pandora looks retro, something from the 1980s (which is what I really like) so it will be great for emulation of computers, The white version looks especially retro but i hope it can be released as the same colour as Amiga and C64.
I think the colours should be the colours of the consoles, rather than red like one of the renders ive seen.

NES Grey. (lots of people would buy this colour cos retro nintendo stuff is fashonable at the moment)
and so on.

Color is pretty far down on my list of important features, but if it's important to you, why not choose your own?

I remember several stories about people painting and dying (with varying results) their GP32s. Perhaps instead of running up production costs with multiple color options, or trying to choose one color that all interested parties can agree on, we go for a neutral option - Clear.

If the device was provided with a crystal clear casing, those who had a significant interest in the unit's color could disassemble it and paint it from the inside. This technique is not difficult and results in a very professional finish (assuming you are not sloppy or use the wrong type of paint). You could apply decals to the inside of the casing before the paint, and never have to worry about them scratching off. You would be guarenteed a 100% individualized unit, and you'd have the satisfaction of having "modded" it yourself.

Those that don't particularly care about aesthetics can leave it clear.

There may be reasons why a clear casing is not a viable option, but I figured I'd throw it out there for consideration.

Turnip said:
Hirolaser said:

and so on.

The reason why it should be same colour as Amiga and C64 (can't describe it just see the computers) is because with its clamshell design (assuming it's not going to change) pandora looks a lot more like a computer than a console and these two systems were two of the best and most popular computers of their time, also I think most people want perfect amiga emulation more than any other system. Besides it's a nice colour anyway.

timofonic said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson

What about this CPU? It's very cheap, low power consumtion and as fast as a Pentium 4 CPU.

Disadvantage: It's MIPS instead ARM, so porting GP2X stuff can be more difficult.

Looks like a very capable chip but it is not the best choice in this case, at least not from what I see on the ST page.

Problems include:
- 4 W @ 700 MHz TDP vs 0.3W @ 1GHz for ARM core
- no integration of features other than DDR controller which means a bridge chip is needed and those things seem to draw more power than these new low power processors (which is a step back if you ask me!)
- needs a separate video controller (3D) I assume (part of bridge chip at least)
- expen$ive (probably)

Plus designing in the OMAP3 chip was a lot of work and I'm not changing it! :p

Chip said:
Turnip said:
Hirolaser said:

and so on.

Color is pretty far down on my list of important features, but if it's important to you, why not choose your own?

I remember several stories about people painting and dying (with varying results) their GP32s. Perhaps instead of running up production costs with multiple color options, or trying to choose one color that all interested parties can agree on, we go for a neutral option - Clear.

If the device was provided with a crystal clear casing, those who had a significant interest in the unit's color could disassemble it and paint it from the inside. This technique is not difficult and results in a very professional finish (assuming you are not sloppy or use the wrong type of paint). You could apply decals to the inside of the casing before the paint, and never have to worry about them scratching off. You would be guarenteed a 100% individualized unit, and you'd have the satisfaction of having "modded" it yourself.

Those that don't particularly care about aesthetics can leave it clear.

There may be reasons why a clear casing is not a viable option, but I figured I'd throw it out there for consideration.

I got the impression that there was going to be more than one colour from the renders ive seen. Having a clear one that people could then paint from the inside would probably be more practical than having loads of colours but probably wouldent be as good as plain black for people who don't care about having it looking like there favourite console but still want it to look good. I reckon if its going to have 2 colours (which I think it will judging by the renders) one of them should be clear, the other plain black. People could even buy them and paint them nes colour for example and then sell them on for £20 more. Id buy one if they did a good job.

timofonic said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson

Disadvantage: It's MIPS instead ARM, so porting GP2X stuff can be more difficult.

This is a more sophisticated CPU than Cortex-A8 (A9 is more comparable) that can probably do more average instructions per cycle and requires less scheduling by the compiler or assembly programmer. However, the power consumption is too high for a handheld (3 to 8W for the CPU won't cut it).

The paper is a great overview of a lot of standard "post-RISC" features. Unfortunately for it, this is far from the first MIPS CPU to implement these features, they have been around for a good 15 years. I'm more interested in Cortex-A8 because it really is the first superscalar ARM, although A9 is more interesting since it's out of order.

I had a semi-transparent Gameboy Color AND a semi-transparent GBA, and if I could get something like that with the Pandora, I would be able to die a happy man. Well, that and maybe if Angelina Jolie could grace me and my girlfriend with a night or two of rambunctious, sweaty sex.

3Designer said:
I think Angelina Jolie has a strange head
To be 100% honest, I'm not too fussed what you think of her head. Your opinion of aesthetics is incompatible with mine, both from this and from your alternative to the Pandora design, so I think I'll be all right. More Angie for the two of us! Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back