Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does Franxis have a dev board already? It just seems like a good idea seeing as MAME is going to be a major app on the new device just as it was (is) on the GP2X.

Squidge said:
I very much doubt that considering the chipset isn't decided on yet :D
:eek: what do you know!? tell us!

Last edited by a moderator:
@realyst: Well I hope there is a way to make a good Touchscreen with flexible plastic, of course I don't know much about the available Touchscreen Techniques but an anti-scratch surface sealing for plastic Touchscreens shouldn't interrupt the functionality...maybe...

A_SN said:
Squidge said:
I very much doubt that considering the chipset isn't decided on yet :D
:eek: what do you know!? tell us!

Intel P35 Chipset maybe? ... :lol:

It's true, I know exactly nothing of whats going on with the new console at the moment (too busy with stuff for work). Only Craigix and friends knows the details, so go pester him if you want more info :)

Squidge said:
It's true, I know exactly nothing of whats going on with the new console at the moment (too busy with stuff for work). Only Craigix and friends knows the details, so go pester him if you want more info :)
We only have a couple of weeks to wait, no big deal...

As long as he takes his time (I'm looking to buy a F-200) and doesn't do anything crazy such as using Windows Mobile as the OS, I'll be happy.

I have out of touch with the GP2X/GP32 'scene' for a while now, but have just read this entire thread, and it has reminded me what was so good about it in the first place.

The sense of a community working together. Oh, an also, the spam and the arguments, the dramas, and the tears! And DaveC banging on about controls and screens and resolutions!

I am now excited about this machine, and hope it is not as much of a disappointment as the GP2X was (to me).

I have one major reservation though: cost. If its too much, then it will inevitably put people off; especially one traditional component of this community: the gamer.

atomicthumbs said:
My ideas for the new System. In descending order of plausability.

0. Touch screen, to compete with GPH's new unit.

1. Keyboard that hides inside the System, much like an SD card.

2. Detachable keyboard. Attached by a small cord, or an RF or IR link (in the wireless case it would be charged by the System).

3. Hardware battery indicator. This would be very useful. An analog meter would be AWESOME, but likely would not fit inside the System.

4. Real-time Clock. This has many uses. It could be powered by the System's internal battery when it is charged, and by a supercapacitor for a week when the System's battery discharges. Then it could be powered by a (replaceable)? lithium coin battery.

5. Serial port. This could be used to attach a terminal, or for those of us into more esoteric hobbies, a radioteletype encoder/decoder for amateur radio. Or many other things. It could use the normal DB-9 port, or it could use a little port and a cable if the System couldn't hold it.

6. Port for an external wireless antenna, for long-range Wi-fi.

7. Naming contest. My idea is: System. I'm sure that other people could come up with better ones.

8. Predictive typing software. This would reduce the tediousness of typing on the System's small keyboard.

9. Little digital clock. That would go along with 4.

10. Trackpoint. The little eraser-nub between the B, G, and H keys in some laptops. It's awesome.

11. A SIM card slot and a cellular modem for multi-cellular hypernet intercommunications.

12. Built-in WiMAX. This could be used for the same purpose as the above.

13. A steam engine with gears, for that steampunk look.

14. A matter/antimatter reactor, for lots of power.

15. Replicator/teleporter.
To go between 11 and 12:

11.5. A built-in, small scale FPGA for coprocessing if needed.

The steam engine would be more plausible than the WiMax (seriously, that technology is complicated, huge, and proprietary).

Wow, I actually made it to the end of the thread!

On a serious note: I'd like to see a built in way to have the display angled. Point in case, watch a 2 hour movie on a plane by simple holding the gp2x... Thats one reason I like the lcd layout for: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2007/08/sammy-gamer.jpg However this could be done with some much more primitive (embeded stands of some sort?).

yeh - I've been a long time out of the scene. But all this news has got me interested again. I love the fact that you can interact with the developers on here and help out with ideas, graphics and stuff. Wasn't Mirko supposed to be making a handheld - what happened to that??

I'm so excited about this new machine that I had a dream last night that I bought it! When are we going to get some official information about it?

Billy Lee said:
I'm so excited about this new machine that I had a dream last night that I bought it! When are we going to get some official information about it?
About a couple of weeks.

just thinking about n64/ps1/dreamcast on a handheld, would it not be possible integrate a similar chip to a snoac or noac or Goac (snes/nes/genesis on a chip) for each console into a hand held device, that way no emulation of these chips would need to be done as it would have the chips onboard...

im sure theres no such thing as a ps1/n64/dreamcast on a chip but wouldnt this be a possible way to get these consoles working on a handheld with minimal fuss ? (not counting how much it would cost to produce these chips)

Samba Pa Ti said:
just thinking about n64/ps1/dreamcast on a handheld, would it not be possible integrate a similar chip to a snoac or noac or Goac (snes/nes/genesis on a chip) for each console into a hand held device, that way no emulation of these chips would need to be done as it would have the chips onboard...

im sure theres no such thing as a ps1/n64/dreamcast on a chip but wouldnt this be a possible way to get these consoles working on a handheld with minimal fuss ? (not counting how much it would cost to produce these chips)
These chips are not perfect. Why bother strapping foac and such on a board that is capable of emulating these system to a greater accuracy than these cheap chips can offer.

If you want a system like that there is a bunch of sites that sell these devices. I own a few of the consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back