Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orkie said:
naples39 said:
People are making comments that 199 pounds is okay, and americans just need to deal with it, but that is pretty ridiculous logic unless craig wants to almost completely abandon US sales.
No, please are taking pleasure in Americans actually appreciating for once what things are like over here. I don't see why you should get a better deal just because you live in the US - £199 is a fair price. Of course, it may include VAT, in which case it *will* be less in the US.

Whether or not 200 pounds is reasonable in the UK market is entirely irrelevant when Americans are deciding whether or not to spend $400. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
naples39 said:
Whether or not 200 pounds is reasonable in the UK market is entirely irrelevant when Americans are deciding whether or not to spend $400. It's as simple as that.
Goodbye then, please don't bother hanging around when the GP2X community is dead and buried.

PokeParadox said:
It's only marginally more expensive than the PSP was on launch:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4203804.stm

Likewise, it would be drastically more expensive than the PSP in America, which launched at $250, and which is now $170.

Just speaking for myself, $300-ish is getting the edge of my range, but I would do it if the performance were there.

Orkie said:
naples39 said:
Goodbye then, please don't bother hanging around when the GP2X community is dead and buried.

Nice. Instead of addressing the contents of the message, attack the messager. I guess the new rule of gp32x.de is to agree with orkie or get out?

Whatever, my message is primarily intended for the reading of the makers of craigulator anyway, not you.

This is being made by a UK company. Pay UK prices or just fuck off, simple as that. "I want, I want" doesn't always lead to "I get". You are like a spoilt child demanding constant spoiling.

naples39 said:
Orkie said:
naples39 said:
People are making comments that 199 pounds is okay, and americans just need to deal with it, but that is pretty ridiculous logic unless craig wants to almost completely abandon US sales.
No, please are taking pleasure in Americans actually appreciating for once what things are like over here. I don't see why you should get a better deal just because you live in the US - £199 is a fair price. Of course, it may include VAT, in which case it *will* be less in the US.

Just because you wouldn't spend $400 on it doesn't mean others wouldn't. I'm American and I'd definately buy it for that much. Also, many of my friends would spend that much as well. You have to take into account the amount of playability this lends to you.

Assuming it can emulate the N64, here's a list of systems/OSes that you'd be able to play on-the-go:
NES
SNES
N64
Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
SMS
GameGear
Genesis/MegaDrive
Sega CD
Sega 32X (possibly)
Amiga
C64
DOS
Playstation
MAME
NeoGeo Pocket
NeoGeo CD
Wonderswan
Linux
ETC.

On average, there are at least 10 good games for each in that list. For systems like the genesis, SNES, N64, and PSX, there are probably at least 30.

Do you realize the amount of games you receive IN YOUR POCKET? All you have to do is pay for the System and the Cards to hold your massive library of games, music, and movies.

On the commercial systems you have to pay for each game, after about 6 to 8 games, you're already over the $400, and after a couple more, you've covered the cost for SD cards.

$400 is not that much when you take the whole of things into consideration. Do the math.

-God Ginrai

naples39 said:
I guess the new rule of gp32x.de is to agree with orkie or get out?
fail.jpg

You guys are all being really hard on the people who aren't willing to pay $400 for a device. Although you might be bitter that the USA has gotten cheaper prices for a lot of devices that doesn't mean we're "spoiled", fact is that UK has a higher standard of living. The minimum wage alone is much higher than it is in the USA. Go to a country like Austria and you'll see how expensive everything is there, maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about.

The people who buy devices like Nokia's N800 will be willing to pay $400 for something comparable. For that price the keyboard is probably an important piece of hardware to distinguish it. Normally I would have preferred that this is a gaming device first and a UMPC-like device second, but if more broad appeal is necessary to get cutting edge hardware then I'm more for that. If it's sold as a gaming device it just isn't going to do well against the competition unless it gets something with amazing graphics/gameplay. I don't know how much the general population cares about emulation, but the device isn't going to offer a ton more than something like GP2X or PSP from the very start.

When you get down to it, few people are going to choose not to buy the device if it has i.MX31 instead of OMAP3430, and a lot of people will choose not to buy it if it costs more. But that could change if some incredible software comes out that separates it from the crowd. The market is full of i.MX31 or similar devices, and while none of them really do anything to take advantage of the power in the handheld it'd still be nice to push handheld power to the limits. It may mean less sales (at least at first), but I think it'd have a bigger impact on future handheld development.

God Ginrai - I would delete that comment if I were you. Your comment markets this new console solely as a device for pirating commercial games (which is why I haven't quoted it!) Even if you use it for that purpose, don't soil this forum for others.

Exophase said:
You guys are all being really hard on the people who aren't willing to pay $400 for a device. Although you might be bitter that the USA has gotten cheaper prices for a lot of devices that doesn't mean we're "spoiled", fact is that UK has a higher standard of living. The minimum wage alone is much higher than it is in the USA. Go to a country like Austria and you'll see how expensive everything is there, maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about.

The people who buy devices like Nokia's N800 will be willing to pay $400 for something comparable. For that price the keyboard is probably an important piece of hardware to distinguish it. Normally I would have preferred that this is a gaming device first and a UMPC-like device second, but if more broad appeal is necessary to get cutting edge hardware then I'm more for that. If it's sold as a gaming device it just isn't going to do well against the competition unless it gets something with amazing graphics/gameplay. I don't know how much the general population cares about emulation, but the device isn't going to offer a ton more than something like GP2X or PSP from the very start.

When you get down to it, few people are going to choose not to buy the device if it has i.MX31 instead of OMAP3430, and a lot of people will choose not to buy it if it costs more. But that could change if some incredible software comes out that separates it from the crowd. The market is full of i.MX31 or similar devices, and while none of them really do anything to take advantage of the power in the handheld it'd still be nice to push handheld power to the limits. It may mean less sales (at least at first), but I think it'd have a bigger impact on future handheld development.
I can see how some of the recent posts are hard on the ones who wouldn't pay $400, but how is mine? I was just explaining WHY that $400 is actually worth it.

-God Ginrai

Havn't posted here much, but have been following the development of this machine since craigx 1st hinted at it. As a younger person, I've little interest in machines before my generation (i.e. pre-psx... maybe bordering on better SNES games) and so never coughed up for a gp2x. However this machine has really started to excite me, as it's becoming what I've been waiting for; a powerful open handheld with good opengl support! Going off to UNI, for comp. sci. this year, this handheld will be perfect for me, as it wont restrict me as much as the gp2x would have done and at the same time I wont have to enter the world of PC homebrew, where many great homebrew games are ignored because most people think only games from large developers, with crysis graphics are worth playing (ok, maybe flash games have dented this somewhat...)

Anyway, coming from rip-off britain, I believe £200 is fine for a quality handheld (especially when you compare to the fact that at the time of writing, on amazon.co.uk the £399 Nokia N95 is the best selling phone, followed by the £565.94 Nokia 8800 http://amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st/026-341539...sort=salesrank)

Also don't forget that by making the handheld more powerful & expensive you are alienating some of the market, but when you make it less powerful and cheaper, you alienate another, different part. In the end you have to strike a balance between these two.

In short; in my opinion; get the most powerful handheld possible, without compromising quality, at a price of below ~£220

And as for all Americans complaining; HAHA :)P), see how it feels when you have to pay a bit more than you're used to? Now take that, and apply it to every piece of technology you can buy, and that's how us Britains feel.

sam fisher said:
This is being made by a UK company. Pay UK prices or just fuck off, simple as that. "I want, I want" doesn't always lead to "I get". You are like a spoilt child demanding constant spoiling.
I specifically remember Craig saying that it's not necessarily produced in the UK, but whatever.

God Ginrai said:
I can see how some of the recent posts are hard on the ones who wouldn't pay $400, but how is mine? I was just explaining WHY that $400 is actually worth it.

-God Ginrai
I was more referring to the people basically telling him that if he doesn't like it he can leave ;P

Jeez guys. Craigix asked for thoughts on the pricepoint, and I gave mine. Surely I am not the only American who is not willing to pay $400 to play retro games. Obviously there are a ton of guys here who want all the power they can get and will happily pay for it. I'm not saying you guys are wrong for wanting it yourself. Take a deep breath. My point is that a lot of people who bought the GP2X at ~$200 are NOT going to be willing to pay double that for a new device.I still stand by my main point, which is that 200 pounds in the UK market is irrelevant to whether $400 is reasonable in the american market.

sam fisher said:
You are saying "I want, I want" as much as I am. It's really no different on your end so your argument has no teeth.

Maybe craigix thinks it's worth it to sacrifice to a good chunk of the american market if he thinks it will serve the UK market better. You are right about is that it's a UK company, and that's his call. But simply because it's an UK company doesn't answer the question because I'm sure craig is counting on sales in america.

You guys are lashing out any who disagrees with you, and calling anyone who thinks differently from you "spoiled," or telling them to fuck off or get out. Grow up. I've gone back and read craig's posts again and I can't find the part where he says "pay $400 or fuck off assholes!!"

So anyway, I'm sure craig and the gang have read my posts by now, so this will be my last post about the price point, so you guys can keep the name calling and personal attacks to yourself.

God Ginrai said:
$400 is not that much when you take the whole of things into consideration. Do the math.

-God Ginrai
Again, you're asking the wrong question. The question isn't how many things it can do, the question is how many MORE things can it do that the GP2X can't, and whether that is worth throwing down another $400 just for those extra things. If it's worth it to you great, but just because a few more systems isn't worth $400 to me doesn't make me bad at math.

naples39 said:
Surely I am not the only American who is not willing to pay $400 to play retro games.
I think that's the problem; why would you buy another handheld, if your gp2x can play most retro games fine? From what I can see, the whole point of this handheld, is to go further than play retro games!

(I'm assuming you're not including psx & N64 under "retro")

EDIT: damn :p, you edited your post (or I missed the last part), which made my post less potent

naples39 said:
Jeez guys. Craigix asked for thoughts on the pricepoint, and I gave mine. Surely I am not the only American who is not willing to pay $400 to play retro games. Obviously there are a ton of guys here who want all the power they can get and will happily pay for it. I'm not saying you guys are wrong for wanting it yourself. Take a deep breath. My point is that a lot of people who bought the GP2X at ~$200 are NOT going to be willing to pay double that for a new device.I still stand by my main point, which is that 200 pounds in the UK market is irrelevant to whether $400 is reasonable in the american market.

sam fisher said:
You are saying "I want, I want" as much as I am. It's really no different on your end so your argument has no teeth.

Maybe craigix thinks it's worth it to sacrifice to a good chunk of the american market if he thinks it will serve the UK market better. You are right about is that it's a UK company, and that's his call. But simply because it's an UK company doesn't answer the question because I'm sure craig is counting on sales in america.

You guys are lashing out any who disagrees with you, and calling anyone who thinks differently from you "spoiled," or telling them to fuck off or get out. Grow up. I've gone back and read craig's posts again and I can't find the part where he says "pay $400 or fuck off assholes!!"

So anyway, I'm sure craig and the gang have read my posts by now, so this will be my last post about the price point, so you guys can keep the name calling and personal attacks to yourself.

God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Again, you're asking the wrong question. The question isn't how many things it can do, the question is how many MORE things can it do that the GP2X can't, and whether that is worth throwing down another $400 just for those extra things. If it's worth it to you great, but just because a few more systems isn't worth $400 to me doesn't make me bad at math.

gtfo.jpg

It's $345 unless Craigix forgot to add UK VAT. I don't think he did or it would be £233 for us Europeans... that would be way too expensive (at least for a gaming handheld).

I would very much like to know a price estimate for a system using the i.MX31. Would it be £15 cheaper or £50? I think that matters a lot in this discussion.

sam fisher said:
God, you are a belligerant bastard.

Nova said:
sam fisher said:
God, you are a belligerant bastard.

monty%20python%20god.jpg

No i'm not!!!

But sam fisher is a waste of cum :lol:

There is absolutely no way I could pay $400... :(

But then again, who is this being sold to? I honestly have no idea how old and how employed everyone is here. I'm just a college kid getting by on a scholarship, and I felt bad wasting all my savings on a GP2X last July. So is this one going to be for people like me, or people who can use money to start their fires in the Winter?

If this is going to stay a niche product, then this price is fine. You'll keep most of the community happy, and maybe pick up a couple new guys. But there's no way it could ever really take off, regardless of how powerful it is.

EDIT: Either way, it would definitely be worth it to get some comaprisons in power. This entire argument may be a moot point, if we're lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back