Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
JyCet said:
What is the estimation for system with i.MX31 ?

Someone know if ARM Cortex-A8 (65nm) need 300mW @ 600MHz or 1GHz ?

ARM11 need 0.6mW/MHz (130nm) but i.mx31 is in 90nm and freescale write 40% energy save from 130nm to 90nm :s
If so, I suppose AMR11 core of iMX31 need around 192mW @ 532MHz

Edit:
funny ARM920 core need 192mW @ 240MHz :D
(0.8mW/MHz in 180nm)
I am seeing a good 300mA being drawn from the i.MX31 while in run mode with many of the clocks enabled. The PMIC is fairly dormant still and will probably add at least another 30mA when being utilized and audio blasting out of it (headphone...speaker would be much, much more). That is at 3.3V input to the system, no LCD on, no TV encoder running and excluding any sort of USB/WiFi/Networking hardware active.

You can see that is getting close to 1W and it is not reasonable to compare one core to another core. I could assume 500mW is coming from the ARM11 core and I would also consider the OMAP3430 to be about the same (just speculation). The real difference will come from all the peripherals running and how they are gated as required.

I would think that the two chips will be very similar in power consumption. You have the 90nm i.MX31 with 532MHz clock and a 66MHz 3D engine versus a 60nm 550MHz(?) OMAP3430 with a 137MHz(??? <--speculation here) 3D engine. Under "normal" usage I think they will be similar in power consumption. Running at maximum, the OMAP will use more power but it has some features that are internal to the chip that need to be external on the i.MX31 design (USB PYH x2, Video encoder) which may reduce power requirements and probably put them back at the same level again.

I think worrying about battery life between these two processors is a wasted concern but one can only speculate at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
God Ginrai said:
@A_SN - This system will NOT have a camera, craig already said so.
Heh, learn mathematics, there was a minus sign, which meant that UNLIKE the N800 it will NOT have a camera. Heh, pwned.

Ok, so I didn't take a plethora of words with a dash and some pluses as a mathematical equation, you don't have to bite my head off.

-God Ginrai

fatblueduck said:
Hi guys. Golly its been so fun helping and holding hands together. I guess its my turn now.

Enter THE MACHINE:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kermit said:
I have a question for Craigix....

Are you selling this machine at cost or for a profit?
Craigx is a business man and he is essentially the one designing, building and supplying this machine (although he will probably be bringing in other people to work on the different areas). The title of the topic is slightly misleading. The console isn't ours; it is his and we are the intended audience. Having said that, it appears as though he is taking into accounts peoples views when enough people object to something he information he has provided. He'll obviously be making a profit from it (which would be expected).

It would be nice to see a truely open console (designed by us for us) like that Neo1973, but getting the funding would be difficult and tweaking the design to meet everyones needs would take months (if not years).

craigix said:
Using the OMAP chip may result in a system which would be around £199. Opinions?
A bit on the high side. Not enough to prevent me from buying it, in the end, though, but it would need the rest of the stuff - Controls, screen, hairy technical details about wifi or memory management or whatever - to be spot on perfect. Given how much people complained about "Oohh, the controls suck" and "This hardware is deeply flawed - it's impossible even to get a proper shoot'em'up to run properly" on a £125 device, imagine the Torrent Of Pure Whine that would be coming your way from people having paid £200.

craigix said:
Using the OMAP chip may result in a system which would be around £199. Opinions?
fine by me..

Personally I dont think the soc is that important, but its not what I want its what the devs want.
If you got a couple of the big devs "on board", the rest will follow.
I'm sure if you wait another month the discussion will start all over again with the newest best soc ever.

Just make the damn thing ;)

Turnip said:
Javacat said:
Completely, randomly guessing, with no facts what so ever, but:

MMSP2+ - £129
i.MX31 - £149
OMAP - £199
According to posts above the OMAP chip costs 50 euros so the price gap between a system with that and one with the i.MX31 cant be more than £30. :)

Of course it can. If there is a £10 difference in hardware price you'll have to have at least a £20 difference to the end customer.

Moxie said:
Turnip said:
Javacat said:
Completely, randomly guessing, with no facts what so ever, but:

MMSP2+ - £129
i.MX31 - £149
OMAP - £199
According to posts above the OMAP chip costs 50 euros so the price gap between a system with that and one with the i.MX31 cant be more than £30. :)

Of course it can. If there is a £10 difference in hardware price you'll have to have at least a £20 difference to the end customer.

Depends how the markup works ;) but yes I see where you are coming from.

sam fisher said:
Depends how the markup works ;) but yes I see where you are coming from.
Of course. I've just taken as my personal hobby horse to squash the idea that £1 hardware cost == £1 end customer price :)

Squidge said:
If your worried about that, you should check out the mmsp2+ ;)
Is it bad? I will guess 500mA with Linux sitting idle and the display off.... :)

God Ginrai said:
hobby horse?

-God Ginrai
From Wikipaedoia,

By extension of the meaning "child's pastime", a hobby-horse is also a favorite diversion or obsession of which a person won't let go. For instance, if a person keeps on and on about income taxes being too high someone might say "oh, he's off on his hobby-horse again..."

God Ginrai said:
hobby horse?

-God Ginrai
Uh...that might be a peculiar swedish expression, come to think of it :huh: :unsure: Something like "My personal Mission From God" or something like that :lol:

TelcoLou said:
God Ginrai said:
hobby horse?

-God Ginrai
From Wikipaedoia,

By extension of the meaning "child's pastime", a hobby-horse is also a favorite diversion or obsession of which a person won't let go. For instance, if a person keeps on and on about income taxes being too high someone might say "oh, he's off on his hobby-horse again..."

Indeed so.

craigix said:
SOLD (even after converting it to USD play money)
:lol:

I don't post on here much, but here are my thoughts:

I'm guessing the majority of people on here are 30+ (and hence the target customers for Craig's machine are 30+).

The difference between £150 and £200 is one tank of petrol for the car, a night out on the town, a new pair of trainers, or a new game for the XBOX360. Frankly, irrelevent in the overall scheme of things.

I'm not going to shell out £150 for something a bit better than my current GP2X. Will I shell out £200 on something that's a lot better? Maybe, maybe not - depends on how compelling the end product is. I know that like the GP32 and GP2X, if it's good enough, I will buy it, it will blow me away for 6 months and will then sit in the cupboard for ever more untouched. It has to have the "wow factor" to make me part with £100+, regardless of if it's £130 or £199.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back