Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Ginrai said:
Anyways, Eolair, do you think you could try to make an image of the Retrograde using the dark gray color of this flash drive?

Ativa_8GB_-Executive_Flash__1.jpg

I think that would be a really nice color for the handheld, but I'd like to see what it looks like on your design, because it's not so easy to imagine a color on a handheld, especially one we have no pictures of atm. ^_^;

-God Ginrai
Something like this maybe?

mattedarkgreymx0.jpg

Larger image

Last edited by a moderator:
^ looks great, except for the face buttons, which are way too many to be intuitive anymore. This isn't an arcade board, it's a handheld...

Eolair said:
God Ginrai said:
Anyways, Eolair, do you think you could try to make an image of the Retrograde using the dark gray color of this flash drive?

Ativa_8GB_-Executive_Flash__1.jpg

I think that would be a really nice color for the handheld, but I'd like to see what it looks like on your design, because it's not so easy to imagine a color on a handheld, especially one we have no pictures of atm. ^_^;

-God Ginrai
Something like this maybe?

mattedarkgreymx0.jpg

Larger image

That's looks awesome! ^_^ Also, don't listen to what Alex says, those extra two buttons make me very happy. (seeing as how I want the best control scheme to be able to play Ocarina of Time and other N64 games) It would be great if the handheld had six easy to reach buttons aside from the 2 shoulders, like your design shows. ^_^

-God Ginrai

cappuchok said:
The recent HP Pavilion entertainment laptops use this sort of body design. It looks really cool while still remaining simple and elegant. I'm sure it's a real fingerprint magnet, though...
I have a friend who owns such a laptop, and, yes, it can easily be a fingerprint magnet.

Orkie said:
cappuchok said:
Some chips can boot from SD media via a bootloader which still leaves the device vulnerable to bricking if the bootloader is corrupted.
Umm... no. Write protect the bootloader chip and it is unbrickable - could be done on the GP2X too I guess.

What if we had a bootloader that wasn't write-protected, but wouldn't ever need to be upgraded except in the case of bugs? Then we'd have main boot software that's upgraded more frequently... or is that what the GP2X does already?

Alex. said:
^ looks great, except for the face buttons, which are way too many to be intuitive anymore. This isn't an arcade board, it's a handheld...
Agreed, we don't need that many buttons.

OK I just found something that we should consider for this handheld. Here's the link: http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/20/hands-o...hone-projector/
Haha just kidding guys, that thing is not necessary at all. But I've got to say that it is sweet! It practically makes AV output useless but it would be hard to use that when playing a game and having to keep the thing still so the screen doesn't move. Seriously though that thing is pretty cool but it must cost a fortune.

Regarding the latest Eolair pics- I don't like the look of that right layout. I got used to playing streetfighter using the shoulders for medium punch/kick.. it might be something you could get used to but with those split shoulders we wouldn't need the other two face buttons that high. It's not a true 6 layout anyway so if people really want a 6 group up there I'd personally think it would be better to put them more like this if anything-

.O.O
..O.O
...O.O

just my thoughts :)

EDIT: forget it ;)

was going to say it would be a nightmare to try and hit 3 buttons for a super move- then I remembered just because they're there doesn't mean I have to use them :p but with split shoulders we wouldn't need them there I think that's more comfortable than 6 on the right myself.

apgunner said:
ok so when is this device gonna be out to bye and who is making it?
We're thinking most likely Spring 2008. craigix and perhaps a few others around here are definitely helping with the design of the product, but beyond that there's no individual company we can point to.

Someone needs to make that collection of facts soon. I'm starting to think that finding information in this thread is nearing impossible... :)

X-Code said:
Sexy picture Eolair, considering button positions and the reflex movements of a player's thumb, I would daresay that they are very well placed B)
I agree, Eolair's latest example is looking very close to how I'd like to see the final product turn out. Some constructive criticism might be in order though, relating to the size and placement of the right action button group. While I do like the thought of 6 action buttons on the right (the "proper" layout for Genesis and many arcade platforms), I also think that four of them need to be in a diamond shape slightly separated from the remaining two buttons (Saitek solved this by making the remaining two buttons smaller and place them both at the right side of the "PSX/N64-C buttons", not one on each side as you've drawn - I think that pressing the wrong button by mistake could be easy on such a layout.
If it was a choice between 6 action buttons on the right and 4 shoulder buttons (the "proper" PSX layout), I'd prioritize 4 shoulder buttons.

javaJake said:
Methinks we need a codename for this project.
sixela said:
Agreed.

codename: MOFO2x
sam fisher said:
The code name is the "Craiginator" and Craig has stated multiple times that it is already named, just as the design is almost done and dusted. He just won't reveal the facts until the time is right.
*Leans back* This is going to be fun to watch. :D

It seems a bit silly that the name has been decided upon but not released. Oh well. And I think it would be nice to have no system buttons on the bottom of the screen or try to make the space above and below the screen minimal. Someone presented a design like this a little bit ago but I don't want to find it now. I'm not sure if it could be done but it looked really nice. It was kind of rectangular.

Edit: Aha!

newconsoleon4.jpg

Don't you guys like the way that looks? Maybe someone could play with that, change the color, the button positions a little bit, the shoulder buttons, etc.

That design is a nice idea, but has anyone done a design that has 6 buttons like the saturn controller or microsoft sidewinder. That IMO would be nice to have. The 2 extra buttons added from the regular 4 button desings could be used as extra shoulder buttons for psx emulation. Also it could be used for cps2 fighting games, or mame games. It's just another of 340598732409834507 thoughts that have been floating around this thread. I guess one more wouldn't hurt. :lol:

mavsman4457 said:
It seems a bit silly that the name has been decided upon but not released. Oh well. And I think it would be nice to have no system buttons on the bottom of the screen or try to make the space above and below the screen minimal. Someone presented a design like this a little bit ago but I don't want to find it now. I'm not sure if it could be done but it looked really nice. It was kind of rectangular.

Edit: Aha!

newconsoleon4.jpg

Don't you guys like the way that looks? Maybe someone could play with that, change the color, the button positions a little bit, the shoulder buttons, etc.
The two bottom buttons need to be raised above the right stick for that design to work.

-God Ginrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back