Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
atomicthumbs said:
asdf, enought aboi=ut walla/voila!

Let's talk about The System.

Will we be able to use USB power when it's connected to a computer?
And will this have a USB port and/or a mini USB port? I know it will have at least one but I have never been quite sure which it will have or if it will have both.

Last edited by a moderator:
mavsman4457 said:
atomicthumbs said:
asdf, enought aboi=ut walla/voila!

Let's talk about The System.

And will this have a USB port and/or a mini USB port? I know it will have at least one but I have never been quite sure which it will have or if it will have both.

I'm hoping it will have a normal size USB port. Also, I'd like to know what kind of accessories will be available for it, as well. (Like a case and such)

-God Ginrai

atomicthumbs said:
Somehow, I think 500+Mhz, 3D accelerator, Wifi, battery charging and all the other stuff in this system is going to add up to more than the 500mA of the USB port (assuming 100% efficiency from whatever reg drives the usb ports...)

I'm just wondering, everyone is expecting an N64 emulator for this new system, but are any of the devs up for the challenge of making one? If any devs are up for the challenge, have they looked into how they will be doing it (porting, writing from scratch or a mix)?

Straight porting an N64 emulator probably isn't going to do the job, you'd at least need suitable dynarec code generation.

Will this project have an internal rechargeable battery?

What about USB capabilities? Will it have a USB host built-in? I think USB controller support would be a lot better if the system had a port built right in for it, as well as a mini port for PC connection.

Also, theoretically how powerful is the 3D chip considered? How will this impact battery life?

Then I think the GP2X should be able to charge rechargeable batteries then. I'd like to use an AC adaptor to play while my battery life is almost dead, and charge the batteries while playing.

We'd have a fried console if that were tried, right?

Although I've read a few requests for this in the earlier portions of this huge thread, I didn't see any "official" response (could easily have missed it), so I'll repeat it because it's very important, to me at least: please make our new machine as "bricking-proof" as possible while maintaining the update flexibility of the GP2X. I'll leave it to you experts to decide the best way to accomplish that.

javaJake said:
Megatog615 said:
NO! :D

More like a rechargeable battery you can remove to recharge.

I really hope so. I would dislike it if I had to recharge this device for 4 hours after every 4 hours of use without being able to use it in the meantime. If the battery is removeable you can just buy a spare one and use it while the other one is charging.

At least we need a battery that is user replaceable. All rechargable battery cells wear out over time no matter the type. Ask Zodiac owners how they like it.

Exophase said:
Straight porting an N64 emulator probably isn't going to do the job, you'd at least need suitable dynarec code generation.
Probably, but I'd still download the straight ports, just to have it. ;P

javaJake said:
Megatog615 said:
NO! :D

More like a rechargeable battery you can remove to recharge.

The way they announced the rechargeable battery, it sounded like it would be an internal one, but one that CAN be replaced, without having to buy the new battery from an official distributor, so the system itself could charge the battery, but if your battery were to mess up, you could always buy a replacement one.

-God Ginrai

Megatog615 said:

What about USB capabilities? Will it have a USB host built-in? I think USB controller support would be a lot better if the system had a port built right in for it, as well as a mini port for PC connection.

Also, theoretically how powerful is the 3D chip considered? How will this impact battery life?
Internal rechargable battery and AC adaptor/chargor: yes

USB host built in: yes

3D chip: powerful, but we've got li-ion batteries anyway.

I'm not going to have to worry about power, I have my 15-pound, 7-amp-hour lead-acid battery right here. I'm going to make an auxillary "Power Bix": battery, charger, crank, solar, Wi-fi antenna, hard drive, blah blah blah.

Squidge said:
The first will no doubt just be a port to see just where the bottlenecks are, but after that, who knows?
I'd hit it.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Cheap solution to the VGA to svideo/composite problem:

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4667

Compliments of shikaku, the man who is always looking out for his community, even if his community doesnt care about him :)

If you read the page, you'll notice this:
Important: This will only work with VGA cards that has TV-Out function through the VGA connector.
Check your video card's manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out capabilities.

Don't think that would apply to this device... :(

craig said he would show us pictures of this device soon but that was a week ago and I still see none. I think of soon as in a day or 2.

apgunner said:
craig said he would show us pictures of this device soon but that was a week ago and I still see none. I think of soon as in a day or 2.
It's been 5 days. 1 day may be how long you think soon is. But for Craigix in this particular situation soon could be a day, a week or a month. We just have to be patient.

Exophase said:
Are you offering? ;)

It wouldn't be as fast, sure (and probably not playable either), but it would certainly do the job of getting the user the N64 emu they seem to be craving.

After all, the first GBA emu for the 2X was just a straight port too. Once you have a version out that works, then you optimise and release further versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back