Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vorporeal said:
*sigh* I still don't understand why craig decided to go with no bluetooth... Can't be that expensive, can it?
Because it would be expensive to implement. The OMAP3430's Bluetooth interface is the same as buying a bluetooth module and attaching it to the serial port, so if somebody writes a driver you can do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
Vorporeal said:
*sigh* I still don't understand why craig decided to go with no bluetooth... Can't be that expensive, can it?
Because you have to draw the line somewhere? I have never used Bluetooth in my life, so it clearly isn't that essential for most things (i.e. there are always alternative connection methods).

Hear hear, there's no sense in cluttering the thing with unnecessary technology only few will (rarely) use :)

atomicthumbs said:
Vorporeal said:
Because it would be expensive to implement. The OMAP3430's Bluetooth interface is the same as buying a bluetooth module and attaching it to the serial port, so if somebody writes a driver you can do that.

Ah, didn't realize it would be that expensive. I just thought it might be useful for connecting peripherals like a wireless keyboard/mouse without having to deal with the clutter of all of those wires connecting to such a small device.

My bad. Continue with the discussion.

Alex. said:
Orkie said:
Vorporeal said:
Because you have to draw the line somewhere? I have never used Bluetooth in my life, so it clearly isn't that essential for most things (i.e. there are always alternative connection methods).

Hear hear, there's no sense in cluttering the thing with unnecessary technology only few will (rarely) use :)

Only bluetooth device I've used was when I borrowed a bluetooth dongle to connect my Wii remote to the PC and use it as a controller :)

As far as connectiity goes, WiFi is more useful IMO. I'm aware that bluetooth is supposed to be a low power wireless connectivity solution, but there is no reason that you can't have energy efficient WiFi, surely?

Vorporeal said:
atomicthumbs said:
Vorporeal said:

Ah, didn't realize it would be that expensive. I just thought it might be useful for connecting peripherals like a wireless keyboard/mouse without having to deal with the clutter of all of those wires connecting to such a small device.

My bad. Continue with the discussion.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24

$5.20 shipped. So it's not that expensive to add it yourself if you need Bluetooth for some reason.

Retailers can get 10 for $42.10 or each cheaper if they buy direct.

I know I'm being a bit lazy here, but maybe if it's not too much trouble, can anyone tell me when the hardware is expected to be finished? Estimates at all? I mean 145 pages of things to go through is a lot... is there a page that shows the likely specs on it? Thanks!

Okay I read some not all a little less than majority on this thing and I have a question...

how do you implement the qwerty style keyboard????????

would it be like a cell phone design where you its either slider or swivel????

if its not that I could imagine it being very small to implement that.

garzyboi said:
Okay I read some not all a little less than majority on this thing and I have a question...

how do you implement the qwerty style keyboard????????

would it be like a cell phone design where you its either slider or swivel????

if its not that I could imagine it being very small to implement that.
That is a question that hasn't been answered yet. ;)

-God Ginrai

I know...but it makes you wonder a bit...

A slider concept would be kinda cool...probably less expensive than a swivel or flip concept...

unless they go with a virtual keyboard, external usb, or just take a small keyboard set and stick at the bottom of the console...

apgunner said:
this thing will never leave the ground.
Well that settles that! Thanks to "apgunner" we don't have to waste anymore time talking about this made-up machine. Let's just lock the thread and move on with our lives!

:rolleyes:

Lets wait until we get 100,000 views first. Shouldn't be long since we are already at 99,127 at the time of posting :D

Wait to do what?

Also:

apgunner said:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA[Start]!

MACHINE HAS ALL POWERUPS AND INVINCIBILITY

YOUR PROHECY HAS PHAILED

sam fisher said:
atomicthumbs said:
Wait to do what?

Also:

apgunner said:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA[Start]!

MACHINE HAS ALL POWERUPS AND INVINCIBILITY

YOUR PROHECY HAS PHAILED

Your spelling has failed to successfully fail. Fail.

ɛf eɪ aɪ ɛl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back