Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
leathco said:
It has a chance to run Quake 3? (and by that notion, also Unreal Tournament?)
Unreal Tournament has too many binary only modules in it's "open source" version that means it's only compilable for x86 (ie, UT itself is open source, but the game engine is closed-source).

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. It's well known that the 33 million is theoretical. As I stated in the previous thread. It’s like when MS claimed that the xbox (original) could do 120 million polygons a second. They just used TnL to determine how many times a triangle could be drawn in the same place per second. But PowerVR has TnL. What stops them from doing the same thing? I’m just grabbing what is most widely published on the internet.

Also, ARM9 is known to be about 1:1 ratio between Hz and IPS. Cortex-A8 claims 1:2. I’ll be glad to add another value if someone has a suggestion.

retroDude said:
Vimacs said:
uhm, hotspot of course :)

I think 800mhz is an realistic estimate, but 1ghz+ would be awesome :)

That would be soooo cool! :D .... Can't wait when Craigix will be revealing the final specs!!!
Maybe i could finally have the "perfect" portable amiga :rolleyes:

Current OMAP3430 boards are running 550mhz. Just because ARM says the Cortex A8 can go up to 1Ghz doesn't mean that this value is reasonable for an embedded SoC.

The numbers thrown around here put my computer to shame. Not only the supposed clock speed, but the RAM, too :p

Also, the psp can use 3.5" headphones just fine. The adaptor you get with the psp to get controls is optional, and 3.5" headphones go directly into the psp.

Squidge said:
leathco said:
It has a chance to run Quake 3? (and by that notion, also Unreal Tournament?)
Unreal Tournament has too many binary only modules in it's "open source" version that means it's only compilable for x86 (ie, UT itself is open source, but the game engine is closed-source).

Oh god yes I would jizz myself over UT

I'm feeling that the only thing this craiginator will do is split the gp2x scene in several pieces... I mean, from the spec this console seems to be a badass psp-pwner, but hey, just look at the gp2x homebrew scene and tell me a single homebrew game that uses well the gp2x power.
You could argue "hey, emulators will run lightspeed on this new handheld" but truly, most of them can run fullspeed also on gp2x, if they ran like this is only because coders had not enough time to spent to further improve their awesome work.

I'm demanding, with that specs this craiginator will cost almost one and half a f200. Will the "casual" part of the scene (mostly retrogamers that don't code) accept to buy such platform at this relatively steep pricing?
I'm one of the admins of the italian gp2x community, speaking with some retrogamers here i found that they want a cheaper gp2x (and f200 will be a bit cheaper) than a most powerful one. In the same way someone will accept to take the craiginator if it will bring fullspeed some old glories such Amiga.

I think that doing this type of consolewar inside an homebrew community will lead it to split and die undepending if one platform is better or not than the other... I only hope that both the consoles will found new users outside the scene to live well in two.

btw i'll support both f200 and craiginator (if it will offer a decent dosbox and a fullspeed amiga) ;)

Squidge said:
sam fisher said:
Where is your evidence of the OMAP clock?
What?

That's right, I've searched very carefully, not a single time does TI mention a clock speed for the OMAP 3430. Sure, I've read in many places that it would run at 550 MHz by default, but none of this was from TI.

Eclipse said:
I think that doing this type of consolewar inside an homebrew community will lead it to split and die undepending if one platform is better or not than the other...
I don't agree. I think it'll do like the transition from GP32 to GP2X (although I wasn't there really). People will less and less care about the GP2X, and widely adopt the Craiginator, with a reserved amount of interest for GPH updates. No community split, no painful community death, just moving on to the next console that has it going on.

Eclipse said:
I'm demanding, with that specs this craiginator will cost almost one and half a f200. Will the "casual" part of the scene (mostly retrogamers that don't code) accept to buy such platform at this relatively steep pricing?
They didn't seem too bothered when craig stated the price and asked if it was ok. Plus, they don't have to buy so much stuff - things like Mains adaptor, keyboard, usb, wifi, etc, will all be included by default. Since the mains adaptor is included, that should mean less bricks from people using the wrong ones too.

I see a rosey future ahead for it, unless something else similar comes out first and beats it to market.

A_SN: Ah, you just confused me with your "Where is your evidence of the OMAP clock?". You should have added "speed" in there, or rephrased it and I would have got what you meant first time :)

I've also no idea about clock speed. No doubt craig will disclose the info however when the time is right.

I don't agree. I think it'll do like the transition from GP32 to GP2X (although I wasn't there really). People will less and less care about the GP2X, and widely adopt the Craiginator, with a reserved amount of interest for GPH updates. No community split, no painful community death, just moving on to the next console that has it going on.

uhm, I don't think it will be like gp32-gp2x transition, simply because in this transition the new consoles are two and craiginator isn't gp3x.

the gp32 transition was something like "hey, there's the gp32 sequel, let's move on it", with someone that stucked on gp32 for some months but then passed too.

this transition would be something like "uh, f200 is out and craiginator is upcoming, where the hell i must go?" a piece will stuck on gp2x f100 like it was for gp32, a piece will buy f200 and another piece will move on craiginator... so some homebrew\emulators will be gp2x f100-200 only and some will move on craiginator. I know that mostly all the important scene coders will move on craigix platform but i'm not sure that it will appen without loosing something on the way.

Only time will tell ;)

Except you're forgetting that it wasn't so much before the end of the GP32 that the BLU+ was released, with all it's extra quirks (and no additional features). The amount of time probably isn't so different, thoeretically speaking, between the Craiginator's release and the F200's.

Interestingly enough, if the F800 rumour is even remotely substantiated, then the correlation between BLU+ and GP2x would hold even more for F200/F800 (9-12 months if it's scheduled for late 2008 as opposed to - at least in theory - 6).

Squidge said:
They didn't seem too bothered when craig stated the price and asked if it was ok. Plus, they don't have to buy so much stuff - things like Mains adaptor, keyboard, usb, wifi, etc, will all be included by default. Since the mains adaptor is included, that should mean less bricks from people using the wrong ones too.

I see a rosey future ahead for it, unless something else similar comes out first and beats it to market.
thanks squidge, so have you stopped your work on gp2x scene too and are you waiting for the cnator?
the qwerty keyboard thing is very interesting.. but with that large monitor and all this stuff will this cnator stay in my pocket? :p
larger screen + speakers + dpad and buttons... he's gonna be bigger than psp! also how it will manage that hires lcd screen? it will drain battery like a vampire will not?

Squidge said:
A_SN: Ah, you just confused me with your "Where is your evidence of the OMAP clock?". You should have added "speed" in there, or rephrased it and I would have got what you meant first time :)
Wasn't me, that was sam fisher. I always phrase my statements and questions in a flawless, concise and non-ambiguous manner. ;)

Eclipse said:
uhm, I don't think it will be like gp32-gp2x transition, simply because in this transition the new consoles are two and craiginator isn't gp3x.
Here's what I'm trying to say. the Craiginator is to the GP2X what the GP2X was to the GP32, while the F800 will be to the Craiginator what the XGP was to the GP2X.

My point holds when you estimate the release dates of both systems. The XGP came out about 4 months after the GP2X, which made the GP2X the natural successor to the GP32 (I guess). And I think it's completely safe to say that the F800 will be released much later than 4 months after the Craiginator. Also, it will clearly be an inferior system to the Craiginator, just as the XGP was inferior to the GP2X.

A_SN said:
I've searched very carefully, not a single time does TI mention a clock speed for the OMAP 3430. Sure, I've read in many places that it would run at 550 MHz by default, but none of this was from TI.
I know you read that - after I gave you the info. And this *is* from TI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back