Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eclipse said:
uhm, I don't think it will be like gp32-gp2x transition, simply because in this transition the new consoles are two and craiginator isn't gp3x.

the gp32 transition was something like "hey, there's the gp32 sequel, let's move on it", with someone that stucked on gp32 for some months but then passed too.
Except it wasn't. The GP32 and GP2X were designed and created by two different companies. The 2X wasn't the sequel to the GP32.

If anything, I'd say the unreleased XGP was the sequel to the GP32, as the same company made both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity said:
Sorry, but do people really think that Craig would be making these at home in a garage? It's obvious he will use a manufacturer for this. £199 at launch is hardly the same as £425 at launch, and even with the price drop to £299.99 the difference is still huge.
The project has been in development for a long time, and Craig has a lo of experience in this field and has clearly got on board a decent team to see this project through.
Also, if this console ran a normal distro of Linux it would have no hope in hell of selling. Standard Linux editions have no user friendliness whatsoever, and turn simple tasks such as setting up wifi into a ridiculous chore.

You haven't tried Linux, lately, have you?

Go check out Ubuntu. I recommend the Kubuntu distro of it.

Eclipse said:
OMars said:
What? The XGP never came out, as far as I remember. :p And it was more advanced than the gp2x. It had the same amount of RAM, wifi, a rechargeable battery, a larger screen, and it used the VRender3D SoC. Where the hell were you when this all happened?

yeah, and lol, i remember there was a website that sold shoes at www.gamepark.com for months after the XGP failure.

Is Craigix going to sell Adidas in the near future? :ph34r:

Btw an unknow handheld that costs much more a PSP isn't a smart choice to make and homebrew community grows IMHO.

Who remembers Gizmondo? :unsure:

all that story makes me feel uncomphortable seeing the future of our scene... i wish i'm not something like Cassandra :ph34r:

The Gizmondo failed because it was slow, badly designed, ran on Windows CE, and had completely crap games. This will not have any of those problems.

A_SN said:
Seriously, did you eat a retard for breakfast?
AHAHAHAHA! :D I am laughing SO hard right now. :D

Now, to distract people from a needless argument based on misknowledge and misunderstandings:

I assume we'll be able to work on and compile our own programs and apps on this thing. As far as I know, this'll be the first video game console where you can do that! :D

And this semi-relevant picture:

atari-forth.jpg

icurafu said:
I just wanted to update to be a little more accurate. Again, nothing is confirmed. It's all edumacated guesses. ;)
CODE
DSLite PSP (slim) Craiginator GP2X F200
CPU1 ARM9@67Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 Cortex-A8@1Ghz ARM9@200
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? No ARM9@200
MIPS 74 + 37 ?? 2000+ 220 + 220
Memory 4 MB 64MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core 200Mhz SGX None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 13.5 Million ?30,000?
Fill (pixels/sec) ?? 664 Million 1200 Million ?
Screen Size 3" 4.3" 4.3" 3.5"
Screen Res 256x192x2 480×272 800x480 320x240
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Brightness control Yes 4 settings ? No (third-party app)
Digital control Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD Yes, DPAD. 4 way.
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony/3.5 ? 3.5
Analog control Must use touch screen Nub 2 Must use touch screen
Touchscreen Yes No Yes Yes
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No
Weight 218gm 189gm ? 161gm (without batteries)

the second arm proc for the DS is an ARM7TDMI (the gba core.)
the brightness is controlled via firmware (ds phat had only backlight on and off, the ds light has gamma control also)
the headphone jack also has a slot for a microphone jack on the DS, As does the PSP.

i know it's nitpicking, but eh. just want it to be accurate.

sephiroth111 said:
the second arm proc for the DS is an ARM7TDMI (the gba core.)
the brightness is controlled via firmware (ds phat had only backlight on and off, the ds light has gamma control also)
the headphone jack also has a slot for a microphone jack on the DS, As does the PSP.

i know it's nitpicking, but eh. just want it to be accurate.
The DS lite didn't have gamma control, it varied the backlight brightness. Unfortunatly, they also made it so you can't turn it off. :p

OMars said:
I would love to go back in time, but the damage is done. :(
Ok, now I'm over it... :blink:

It's all good, next time, you'll know who knows better ;)

You haven't tried Linux, lately, have you?

Go check out Ubuntu. I recommend the Kubuntu distro of it.

+1 vote for Kubuntu if you're interested in running Linux the easy way. I wouldn't even think about running it on the Craiginator, though. Possibly a custom distro optimized for it, using KDE and Compiz Fusion, could be a real eyecatcher for the device if it's running smoothly. I'd love to be able to just pull packages over WiFi from the Debian ARM repositories, though.

For accessorizing the Craiginator, I found a really cool 7-port powered USB hub at Deltaco, that is smaller than the GP2X LCD and less than half as thick as the GP2X. Really neat stuff, this one will go well with my notebook as well, and is far smaller than the GP2X cradle! :D

cappuchok said:
+1 vote for Kubuntu if you're . I wouldn't even think about running it on the Craiginator, though. Possibly a custom distro optimized for it, using KDE and Compiz Fusion, could be a real eyecatcher for the device if it's running smoothly.
You know, Kubuntu is only Ubuntu with packages for KDE, there's nothing extraordinary about this, it's all about packages. I guess KDE should work on the Craiginator, considered its clock speed, I'm not sure about the ram tho, maybe not the best choice..

atomicthumbs said:
I assume we'll be able to work on and compile our own programs and apps on this thing. As far as I know, this'll be the first video game console where you can do that!
err... are you talking of the Gp32? or Gp2x?
'cause i've compiling my own stuff on gp2x just right now... are you on Mars? :huh:
Gamepark Holdings did also contests on gp2x and both this consoles ( gp32_console :gp2x ) lived only on the apps made by their users, lol.

Eclipse said:
atomicthumbs said:
I assume we'll be able to work on and compile our own programs and apps on this thing. As far as I know, this'll be the first video game console where you can do that!
'cause i've compiling my own stuff on gp2x just right now... are you on Mars? :huh:
Gamepark Holdings did also contests on gp2x and both this consoles ( gp32_console :gp2x ) lived only on the apps made by their users, lol.

Before anybody uses this, here it is:

are you on O-Mars?

:p

atomicthumbs said:
The DS lite didn't have gamma control, it varied the backlight brightness. Unfortunatly, they also made it so you can't turn it off. :p
oops =) i only have a DS phat. i was under the assumption that the gamma could be turned up also though <<;

wow whats this forum coming to when people have to start swearing. Come on people there is children here.

Eclipse said:
OMars said:
Eclipse said:
Before anybody uses this, here it is:

are you on O-Mars?

:p

uhu, like someone that's fucking you? :blink:

Oh heavens no, I messed up a lot in this thread and I looked like a jackass. I was talking about me as a drug. The person that uses it would have symptoms such as:
-behaving like a jackass
-using wikipedia and google too much
-seeming to have "eaten a retard"

I guess I understand where what you said would come from, though.

Well, there's another tally for me, eh?

A_SN said:
cappuchok said:
+1 vote for Kubuntu if you're . I wouldn't even think about running it on the Craiginator, though. Possibly a custom distro optimized for it, using KDE and Compiz Fusion, could be a real eyecatcher for the device if it's running smoothly.
You know, Kubuntu is only Ubuntu with packages for KDE, there's nothing extraordinary about this, it's all about packages. I guess KDE should work on the Craiginator, considered its clock speed, I'm not sure about the ram tho, maybe not the best choice..

Of course I know that. I'm running the KDE environment on top of a base Ubuntu install, myself. I was just thinking how running a full Kubuntu-like environment (with all the components in a base Kubuntu install) won't be a possibility on the Craiginator. But using Compiz Fusion would be soo sweet... As for a desktop environment, I'll be equally happy with Gnome, XDE or Blackbox... or whatever runs on the Craiginator. :D

icurafu said:
I just wanted to update to be a little more accurate. Again, nothing is confirmed. It's all edumacated guesses. ;)
CODE
DSLite PSP (slim) Craiginator GP2X F200
CPU1 ARM9@67Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 Cortex-A8@1Ghz ARM9@200
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? No ARM9@200
MIPS 74 + 37 ?? 2000+ 220 + 220
Memory 4 MB 64MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core 200Mhz SGX None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 13.5 Million ?30,000?
Fill (pixels/sec) ?? 664 Million 1200 Million ?
Screen Size 3" 4.3" 4.3" 3.5"
Screen Res 256x192x2 480×272 800x480 320x240
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Brightness control Yes 4 settings ? No (third-party app)
Digital control Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD Yes, DPAD. 4 way.
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony/3.5 ? 3.5
Analog control Must use touch screen Nub 2 Must use touch screen
Touchscreen Yes No Yes Yes
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No
Weight 218gm 189gm ? 161gm (without batteries)

PSP :

1st CPU, named SC : Allegrex@333 = 32-bit only MIPS R4K (FPU included) w/ VFPU (128 single float registers which can be handled as scalar, vector or matrix of 1, 2(x2), 3(x3) or 4(x4) components)
2nd CPU, named ME : Allegrex@333 = 32-bit only MIPS R4K (FPU included) w/o VFPU

333 MHz is the OFFICIAL maximum frequency. Indeed we can overclock it higher if we change it directly through hardware registers (the ratio is not 1.0 for 333 MHz) but I doubt a lot of people want to take this risk.

I don't think to be wrong to say a million cycles on MIPS processor is *theorically* 1 MIPS, so i would say 333 MIPS being optimist.

The use of second processor is quite similar to what happens with the second cpu on gp2x : not a true dual-processor. But the second processor has the same cache and share the same addresses but has access to a second private 2MB fast ram (whereas the first 2MB fast ram seems to be only accessible to first cpu and GPU : vram)

Eclipse said:
atomicthumbs said:

So you have a toolchain running on your GP2X? Are you on Jupiter, and in the process of being crushed by the incredible gravity and pressure, and thus misunderstand my statement?

Blech, Ubuntu. Just Debian it, I seem to find the seven nationalities pooping on each other a little too invasive. If only Sabayon received as much support as Nubuntu, then the world would be a better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back