Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vorporeal said:
What would be the point of NTFS support? There is absolutely no need for it. Any expansion cards would be formatted with FAT/FAT32, as it is a pretty universally supported format.
If you wanted to put dvd iso's on your sd cards, you'd need NTFS support :) Only really applies to the 8GB cards, but hey. Plus, all my external harddrives are formatted as NTFS.

Frogboy said:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what specifications have been decided on so far and what the time table for release you/they are shooting for? Thanks!
Check the craiginator Wiki + some time next year :)

atomicthumbs said:
EDIT: Looking at some information about FUSE, it seems like you have to have support for FUSE in the kernel. http://fuse.sourceforge.net/fuse_structure.png

The kernel will obviously be open source, so you just recompile it for your purposes :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, my vote for Slackware was purely tongue in cheek:p

I'm in the camp that as long as it has FS drivers, a kernel and a simple interface for navigating either via the dpab or the touchpad, I'm happy.

All this other nonsense and noise about KDE and Gnome and Ubuntu and Xp and whadjahoozits is silly.

The NTFS thing though, is a good idea.

agreed NTFS at least the 8,16,and 32gb levels is practically needed...

but still you could utilize FAT32 at I think the 8gb and 16gb but if the opportunity is there to use NTFS then you might as well utilize it.

all these linux distros flying around....lets just keep it simple...untill its released....as far as I'm concerned I'm with davec on this one full speed SNES w/graphic chips support FTW!! B)

The JXD301 shows what can be done with brute force and ignorance on a typical speedy processor (It's runs Snes9X and VirtualBoyAdvance, as well as others)

One a slightly different topic, I was wondering about advertisement of the console, and here's what I think. Since we're unknown, at first we'll only benefit from word of mouth, which, while efficient, has certain limits. But here's what I think Craig should do, as soon as the console gets profitable and that we made sure it's not flawed etc etc, I think Craig should invest in advertisement. And advertise smartly. And so here is my cunning plan to achieve that.

Send a console to reviewers, no, not just one console to a couple of reviewers, send it to anyone who reviews, from tom's hardware to the Wall Street Journal to (important) bloggers, anyone. Even if you have as little as one third of them reviewing the machine, the impact will be huge, and the cost for advertisement won't be that big, and it's only a matter of barely $20,000 ($350 per machine * 50 = $17,500)

A_SN said:
One a slightly different topic, I was wondering about advertisement of the console, and here's what I think. Since we're unknown, at first we'll only benefit from word of mouth, which, while efficient, has certain limits. But here's what I think Craig should do, as soon as the console gets profitable and that we made sure it's not flawed etc etc, I think Craig should invest in advertisement. And advertise smartly. And so here is my cunning plan to achieve that.

Send a console to reviewers, no, not just one console to a couple of reviewers, send it to anyone who reviews, from tom's hardware to the Wall Street Journal to (important) bloggers, anyone. Even if you have as little as one third of them reviewing the machine, the impact will be huge, and the cost for advertisement won't be that big, and it's only a matter of barely $20,000 ($350 per machine * 50 = $17,500)

It's less of course, because the actual cost of the machine to Craigix is less that $350.

realyst said:

I'm in the camp that as long as it has FS drivers, a kernel and a simple interface for navigating either via the dpab or the touchpad, I'm happy.

All this other nonsense and noise about KDE and Gnome and Ubuntu and Xp and whadjahoozits is silly.

Yeah, I agree things should be kept slim, I was merely suggesting Compiz as a thing to use to show the device off to your friends (especially the power of the SGX accellerator). For day-to-day PDA tasks, I'm sure Opie or Maemo will do nicely, or whatever takes a developer's fancy to get running on this thing, and for making emulators run as fast as possible overhead in the form of windowing systems and services should be kept to a minimum and activated when needed (like on the GP2X, where services like USB, Samba and the like are turned off by default).

As for NTFS, most portable harddrives use this format (in fact Windows won't allow me to format a portable harddrive to any other format, at least not as long as the drive in question is >80GB which is fairly common today). I'm not too sure about NTFS for use on flash media though, isn't NTFS supposed to be a journaling file system (at least it is according to Microsoft).

sinkyboy2000 said:
It's less of course, because the actual cost of the machine to Craigix is less that $350.
Well in a way, but if you look at it by how much it prevents Craig from earning.. I guess that's only if stocks are too low to satisfy the demand, but yeah, that's between how much it costs to produce and how much the machine is worth. :)

Squidge said:
The JXD301 shows what can be done with brute force and ignorance on a typical speedy processor (It's runs Snes9X and VirtualBoyAdvance, as well as others)
more like "ignorance is bliss at its finest"

Squidge said:
Yeah, runs VBA poorly. No surprise there. Even its CPU can't keep up with it. :x

cappuchok said:
realyst said:

Yeah, I agree things should be kept slim, I was merely suggesting Compiz as a thing to use to show the device off to your friends (especially the power of the SGX accellerator). For day-to-day PDA tasks, I'm sure Opie or Maemo will do nicely, or whatever takes a developer's fancy to get running on this thing, and for making emulators run as fast as possible overhead in the form of windowing systems and services should be kept to a minimum and activated when needed (like on the GP2X, where services like USB, Samba and the like are turned off by default).

As for NTFS, most portable harddrives use this format (in fact Windows won't allow me to format a portable harddrive to any other format, at least not as long as the drive in question is >80GB which is fairly common today). I'm not too sure about NTFS for use on flash media though, isn't NTFS supposed to be a journaling file system (at least it is according to Microsoft).

Journaling??? hmmm I bet MS still gets a bunch of calls about tech support in xp...and xp still blue screens...just not as often. matter of fact chkdsk gets replaced by whatchamacallit even though you cancel it before it scans.

granted its a tossup to whether you go for NTFS or FAT32...because both will handle the space. its just some iffy stuff unless you go beyond 40gb. anything beyond 40gb has to be NTFS. well let me rephrase that. FAT32 can format to 32gb. It can still mount the rest of the partition or just split it up in 32gb partitions. but at this rate the problem with anything beyond 40gb is FAT32 gets very slow and reading data over large volumes.

Squidge said:
How did you check which emu run on the jxd? (I'm curious to see the neogeo one :ph34r: )

The Aurora vase demo footage is just a teaser I discovered among the company's promo materials for a recruitment drive of new employees that they're doing. Unfortunately, that's the only video I've found. I imagine the demo was programmed using either OpenGL/GL ES or MBX's native API, MGL.

OpenGL ES 2.0 leaves a significant amount of SGX's functionality unexposed, like its geometry shading programmability. Without PowerVR extensions to the API, OpenGL/GL ES might not be the best match for Project Bumble Bee/Craiginator.

Lurkio said:
garzyboi said:
FAT32 can format to 32gb

WinXP can only create FAT32 partitions up to 32GB
Fixed.

I had an 80GB harddrive formatted as FAT32 by Windows 98. And it worked fine. Are we sure this 32GB limitation exists in anything?

A_SN said:

Yeah, I agree. There are many techie websites that have people who would be interested in this kind of stuff. I, for one, found out about this after reading a post on Engadget where they had gone through the initial thread and summarized all of craigix's announcements. Blogs like Engadget that have a large reader-base who mostly are into this kind of stuff would be good places to send demo machines to.

Exophase said:
Lurkio said:
garzyboi said:
FAT32 can format to 32gb

WinXP can only create FAT32 partitions up to 32GB
Fixed.

I had an 80GB harddrive formatted as FAT32 by Windows 98. And it worked fine. Are we sure this 32GB limitation exists in anything?

Hmm well could have been an issue solely in XP...I can't remember off the top my of head. because I know for a fact I tried this in XP a bunch times with a custom built system with 200gb hds, and when attempting to do FAT32 it kept forcing me to partition it as 32gb. but I think there are some 3rd party utilities to get around this.

Granted if I do remember correctly FAT32 technically can read up to 2tb of info. but arbitrary limit imposed by MS forces it to stop at 32gb. hmm for 98 fdisk might be the case as I think MS allowed for it to read up 137gb on certain drives. But I doubt it I may have interpreted that wrong as I don't remember too much on win98.

but still I guess it doesn't matter in the long run...does it?

damn now I almost sound like that keyboardcowboy dude I need to pay more attention <_<

you got ext, FAT, and NTFS...take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back