Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
sam fisher said:
As no one has coded one for PC even (as far as I know). I highly doubt that notion.
Actually, I think there is one coded for PC, I heard something about it a couple of months ago. But I don't think it can really do anything atm.

EDIT: Here you are: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psp/ The Potemkin description claims that it can even play commercial games. o_O I didn't think they had gotten that far.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
DisgruntleElf said:
Higher prices don't dictate bigger sales. The PS3 is proof of that. Though I am certain that part for part the "Craiginator"'s price is jusitified from a manufacturing stand point. However the longer the "Craiginator" delays the tougher the sell. I'd say it's still about 6 months to a year off. During that time the PSP, NDS, iPhone, and iTouch will all drop in price not to mention have a stronger emulation scene. If the "Craiginator" is going to survive it's going to need more than the usual emulator suspects. If it's claiming to be able to deliver Quake 3 and the like, then it's going to have to do that right out of the box.
The publicity of a crime lord backing the "Craiginator"(the name would really fit then) could actually help drive sales.
My guess is that Craig will probably give a nice discount or something along those lines to the more noted devs out there before launch in order to get some emu's going asap.

One other thing: If the device can handle Quake 3, Unreal Tournament is given, now if only Half Life source could be released, we could see the rebirth of the mid-late 90's FPS.

Last time I checked DS emulation was in its infancy, even my dual-core couldn't handle the games that did actually work. But who knows, maybe something has changed over the past few months. I doubt we are going to see anything happen for at least a few more years, even then, I don't know if teh Craigblishnator will be up to the challenge.

One other thing: If the device can handle Quake 3, Unreal Tournament is given, now if only Half Life source could be released, we could see the rebirth of the mid-late 90's FPS.

Could someone point me to the UT source. I searched before and only found opensource UT tools.

zaffercharles said:
christo930 said:
It isn't for you, over and over and over again in this thread. This kind of thinking is like saying "Take what we give you and like it, or lump it" Now, I agree you can't be everything to every one, but when a large percentage of your potential customer base is saying negative things, you should listen. The owners of GP2x and GP32 are the initial customers at least and will have a large effect on the initial acceptance or rejection of the machine. A lot of people are saying it's too expensive and all the tech in the world will not make it sell to these people. Maybe if Craig is expecting a price drop after a year then maybe we could join in. I think it's arragant to say if you don't like it, then don't buy it. It's not made yet, so listen to your customer base and see what you can do to address the complaints of a large number of people. That attitude of take it or leave it wins no friends.

Chris
How large is the percentage then? should we create a poll to see? I'm not trying to be cocky, honestly I mean it. Then we can see rather than arguing our opinions. I don't see that many myself, maybe 12-20 people?

It's too late isn't it, to try to alter its course and strip the power back down and make the upgrade more akin to what GP2X was up to GP32 I imagine. It was bumped up in the first place through the original topics' posters.
And it's unlikely that we'll get 2 versions, one super powered and another slim version although if possible I wouldn't say no.
I asked earlier what you would have liked to hear about a new console, maybe you'd prefer that there wasn't one at all? aside from the price what else, would you prefer gaming use only to lose a few $ from the end price?
If I've been arrogant well, sorry about that. All I'm saying is that I could have posted many times about GP2X not being up to my expectations but where would it have got me? I just sucked it up and admitted that it was very close, but it wasn't for me. What about that poll seriously- not to prove you wrong, to find out the truth. Sorry we can't be friends :(

With the launch less than 1 year away, you are probably right about major design changes, but maybe not a few months ago.

2 versions would very much confuse things, there should definately be only 1 hardware spec. Perhaps a smaller version with 100% compatability.

As far as no new console, I'd be for that for the time being. The GP2X has had a pretty short life cycle, and with the exception of emulators not a single homebrewn game has pushed the gp2x anywhere near it's potential. There are a number of emulators that could still be optimized for full speed and full compatibility like the snes and the tg16. Maybe even the amiga. I really feel the GP2X has untaped potential.

I was under the impression that there were a large number of people complaining about the price, if it's just 12-20 people, screw-em (and I am one of them). Seriously, if the marjority of the people want the thing at the offered price, then it's hit a sweet spot. Perhaps a poll is in order.

As for what I would like to see in a new system.

Excelent controls with an excelent layout.
Standard AA batteries. I have lots of rechargables and a good charger. I'm willing for it to be a little thicker to accomodate 4 batteries for increased life.
Screen size is perfect as is, so is resolution (qvga but backwords)
Better sound, louder sound from the speaker
4x the speed processor wise (That is 4x the speed of the gp2x running at 240mhz), with a single processor since most devs have not used the 2nd processor.
2d Acceleration - 3d if it comes with the chosen chipset without driving up the price.
Touch screen and battery back up for basic pda functions of an emulator
A heavy duty screen covering, that is VERY scratch resistant
a normal sound and brigtness knob
Video and audio out standarad (cable included)
All major video formats supported out of the box with hardware scaling
excelent free development kit, ability to handle encryption for commercial games if anyone decides.
A price point below $200

Chris

DaveC said:
craigix said:
It's likely to be around $320 in the USA, and we have USA/Canada distributors lined up. The power of this machine really is next gen, (ie beyond the PSP). We are tweaking and pushing things to the limits in terms of battery life, size, controls etc.

It's very likely we wil release some major details/videos at the end of this month or in Dec.

While the device has been code named the craiginator it isn't just me working on it, it is an excellent devoted team of people from the scene.

And finally yes, it is a shame for the americans that their currency is almost worthless, but there is nothing we can do about that. If it was a couple of years ago this system would be around $240 for you.
Actually the thing that has me the most concerned about this new device is the almost rabid obssesion with making it small and super thin etc. While nice for portability, it may be *too small and too thin* to actually make it comfortable to actually play games on. That will be the primary use of this is to play games right? This is likely to have concequences on control placement, size of controls/keys, the orientation of games that work well, etc. The Zodiac was like this. While nice to look at it had absolutely horrid ergonomics to play games on. It was so thin you had nothing to hold on to. It was like playing games on a wafer and after about 10 minutes become very uncomfortable. Please don't blow the ergonomics.

As for the price I think it will be a deal for what it does. It is better if it comes out a bit higher in price now and has the power than come out cheap and be crippled from day one. Costs will come down as manufacturing costs are reduced and more are made. For those of us Americans complaining about the price, well that is what we deserve. You voted for a war mongering oil industry president that cares nothing about running up the national debt to record levels to make his cronies rich, and you did it *twice*. Next year when you elect Guiliani it will only get worse. Now you pay the price.

Actually, we voted for Al Gore, but since Georges brother was the governer of Florida we got stuck with this stupid looser who claims to be a devout Christian, yet ordered the unprovoked invasion of a soverign state on the ground of a terrorist attack that was done by mostly Soudi's.

Chris

PokeParadox said:
A_SN said:
b_o_b said:
I remember someone made a site with these dev guidelines for the gp2x and as far as I know no developer used it.
That's why I talked about official guidelines, ones we'd know about as soon as the console would start shipping

I just mentioned that very site on the previous page of the thread: GP2XStandards

Do you know what the fuck the word official means? That means whoever's making that console, that means Craig, not an independent committee no one cares about.

And that's the essential difference, if the maker says from the start "here's how you should do things", you'll get a lot more following that if one year later a couple of fools start saying "maybe we should do this and this and that"

sephiroth111 said:
Dubya' said:
DaveC said:
1. For those of us Americans complaining about the price, well that is what we deserve.
2. You voted for a war mongering oil industry president that cares nothing about running up the national debt to record levels to make his cronies rich, and you did it *twice*.
3. Next year when you elect Guiliani it will only get worse.

1. Not me.
2. I sure didn't, either time.
3. I won't.

The current b*stard tarnished one of my nicknames, the very least of his impeachable offenses. And the issues with the dollar are the result of many decades of foolish monetary policies on the part of both of the totally corrupt and OWNED (but not by the people) mainstream parties.
QFT.

i didn't vote for him either, so i dont really want to hear it.

I love the stereotypes. I mean, every American conservative lives on a ranch with his cousin and their ten inbred children. Bush isn't a Christian, he's the very opposite, he has given the thumbs up to every single act and law that causes damage to the Christian community. Everyone knows the war is complete and utter nonsense, infact no one I know supports it. Not even the "mindless conservatives" at my church. Guiliani, Obama, and Hillary all completely suck. The next election is a lose-lose situation, and America is currently circling the drain. It's sad really, California is the example of what's going to happen to the rest of the country if things don't change (I can't even work at McCommies or the local electronics center because they don't hire whiteys who can't speak Espanol, not to mention all of the Norteno ***wipes who start crap every time I walk down the street). I currently live in a laundry room because of the biased divorce system the liberals have been dry humping for the past few years. Beautiful, and it's my fault that some open source device is going to cost more because Bush is president.

icurafu said:

Could someone point me to the UT source. I searched before and only found opensource UT tools.

I haven't downloaded it to take a look but this appears to be the Unreal Engine source (for UT). It appears to be free to use for non-commercial purposes.

God Ginrai said:
sam fisher said:
As no one has coded one for PC even (as far as I know). I highly doubt that notion.
Actually, I think there is one coded for PC, I heard something about it a couple of months ago. But I don't think it can really do anything atm.

EDIT: Here you are: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psp/ The Potemkin description claims that it can even play commercial games. o_O I didn't think they had gotten that far.

-God Ginrai

Potemkin has source available, too, so expect a ton of noobs to be asking for a port, despite apparently low compatibility and performance.

imec said:
Last time I checked DS emulation was in its infancy, even my dual-core couldn't handle the games that did actually work. But who knows, maybe something has changed over the past few months. I doubt we are going to see anything happen for at least a few more years, even then, I don't know if teh Craigblishnator will be up to the challenge.
no&gba came out with a new version a couple of days ago that is very playable, Advance Wars DS worked for me at about 75% on my laptop, whit very few graphics glitches.

morrissey2k7 said:
Blah!

Why is this thread in General GP2X Talk section? Shouldn't it be moved to Other Stuff/Other Consoles?

At least when everyone's complaining about the F-200 they're talking about a GP2X unit! ;)
This is the only post in this whole thread that makes any sense.

This entire thread is not about people who want the Craiginator vs. people who don't want it. It's about people who would like the GP2X to have more community support and are tired of hearing about a non-GP2X platform that is convincing devs to ignore a platform that they have invested in vs. people who are using the popularity of the platform to advertise an entirely different product to a selected and targeted audience (who for the most part don't want to be advertised to.)

It's entirely weak to use this message board as a method to detract from and divide the community that this board is supposed to be based around. GPH didn't go to some competitor's website and bash their product to make themselves look more desirable. They built a customer base on their own merit.

It's simply my opinion, but I truly believe that if people like Craig weren't so busy brandishing their fantasy concept of a platform as the next system that people need to own, than developers would be far more interested in continuing to improve upon their projects and increasing the performance, ease of use, and compatibility of the emus whose development has curtailed. Squidge has rather unabashedly abandoned the GP2X platform, and that's a terrible shame because of how instrumental he was in advancing the dev scene. He seems rather convinced that putting any further effort into improving his applications is a waste of time, and that's ridiculous because even if the Craiginator is made, his work would still be enjoyed by far more of the existing GP2X users than the smaller user base that the Craiginator has the potential to gain.

So quite frankly, if you want to talk about the Craiginator, create a new branch on the board and go discuss it over there and stop harassing people who really don't feel like being reminded of a product that's killing the scene that this particular branch of the board is dedicated to discussing.

procyon said:
It's entirely weak to use this message board as a method to detract from and divide the community that this board is supposed to be based around. GPH didn't go to some competitor's website and bash their product to make themselves look more desirable. They built a customer base on their own merit.
No they didn't. They exploited the market created by the company they were previously employed by (Game Park, you might know them as the people behind the GP32) to launch their own superior competing product.

do we know for sure that gp and gph didn't remain somehow linked, even if informally? because it's very common for a company to set up different corporations for accounting purposes (usually to keep some particular assets safe, like if you owned the building you're in). and calling the other one "x holdings" or "x properties" is very typical.

not trying to start rumors, i was just always confused about this one...given that gp didn't go after gph for the name similarity (or maybe they did)? i figured the split was either very friendly, or done on purpose...like if they knew the xgp was a big risk but the gp2x was more of a sure thing, and wanted the option of letting one or the other go bankrupt without affecting the other company.

anyway...i like many am very excited about the craiginator, and i hope it all works out, and we don't have to put up with gph anymore.

jpic3yk said:
imec said:
no&gba came out with a new version a couple of days ago that is very playable, Advance Wars DS worked for me at about 75% on my laptop, whit very few graphics glitches.

So you can expect it to be full speed in april :)

sam fisher said:
Craig is trying not to be GPH. I don't think it's release will fall past Q2 2008. It will be interesting to see though.
I'm thinking it'll probably be the third party suppliers who'll let the side down (if at all). We all know Craigix will get this thing out the door as soon as possible (but without compromising quality) simply so he can start getting some money back. However, some of the big companies he's working with will no doubt be dragging there feet (because he's isn't ordering a million pounds of products from them as his first order) more than they would be for certain other console-making companies that would.

Still, saying that, perhaps certain devs will get something usable (but not quite finished) in Q1, and it'll go public in Q2 ? Only Craigix can answer that question, and only when he's got confirmed dates for everything I guess.

Then again, do we know how long it took for the PSP to be released from design to manufacture? Or the DS?

I guess it's just guessing time for all of us, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back