Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, here's the deal:

USB is your friend.

There are many USB solutions for getting a remote to work. IR, bluetooth, etc. Instead of people spending extra money for a BOB, all they have to do is buy that remote solution.

Problem solved. Less qq.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
yodaofborg said:
Why wouldnt you need a RTC with Wifi? If you mean due to Internet time, most time servers want your device you have at least the correct date or they will not sync your device. Plus, not everywhere is a wifi hotspot, how annoying would it be to have your PDA not know what time it is, cos you cant get on the net? ;)
Even if the device didn't have a RTC that Internet thing wouldn't be a problem with NTP ;). Fortunately it will have a RTC.

And yeah VoIP would be nice, I'm afraid we'll have to use USB ADCs tho :-(

... when did Craig or the others guarantee RTC? I don't remember them ever responding to anyone's posts about it.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:

USB is your friend.

There are many USB solutions for getting a remote to work. IR, bluetooth, etc. Instead of people spending extra money for a BOB, all they have to do is buy that remote solution.

Problem solved. Less qq.

-God Ginrai
Like a bluetooth dongle and remote? :unsure:

funtasticguy said:
The remote is not for the hand held. Instead, the remote will only be used when the hand held is hooked to the TV to watch movies. While watching movies may not be for all, there is a market of portable media devices that hook up to the TV. These portable media players come with remotes that people use when they watch their digital movies (i.e. Archos, Cowon, etc.).
Personally, if I want to play a movie at home, I use the dvd player rather than a portable device with a usb host, power adaptor, bluetooth dongle/etc all dangling of it.

The dvd player comes with it's own remote control, is in a suitable form for placing under the tv, has SD card and USB host sockets for plugging harddrives into, accepts DVD disks as a bonus, and cost about £30. A little cheaper than a £200 Craiginator with ~£50 of required extras.

God Ginrai said:

USB is your friend.

But wait! Couldn't I, like, hook this thing up to one of them schmangly USB cup warmer thingies, and then have it make my breakfast?

yodaofborg said:
I'm pretty sure, or hopeful at least (because its a bad idea not to) that we will be able to boot a kernel from SD card, so replacing the entire OS if you want to go that route will be possible.
Sure, if you don't want to use Linux, you can always use SOS (SquidgeyOS :D)

predatorramboxxx said:
Any chance you can flash it and put WM or the older WMce on it?
If your willing to write the drivers, you can put whatever OS you like on it :)

Stealth Bagel said:
This discussion is freakin' ridiculous. It's a handheld, not a PVR, and it's not like you're going to have some enormous hard drive on it, it'll be an SD card. If you want to set up bluetooth remotes and struggle to get drivers working and rig up a USB HDD and all this other crap.... do it on your own time. Projects like this get ruined by trying to be a jack of all trades and turning out a master of none.... I think the Gizmondo is one of the best examples of this. Next someone will suggest using this thing to make breakfast....
Now, then, if you think that a great number of people are going to be willing to pay over $300 for a strictly gaming device that mainly plays emulators and homebrew, then you're sadly mistaken! My GP2X does mostly well in the gaming/emulating department. Indeed ask yourself, why hasn't the PS3 been flying off the shelves? Because it's too dang expensive! It's only recently that they have lowered the price that Sony has suddenly seen an increase in sales. On the other hand, if you have a device that can do more than one good thing not only will it broaden its appeal, but you can also charge more money for it as well.

Interestingly enough, no one is talking about a PVR. It doesn't have to record. However, if you're going to be able to hook it up to the TV then let it play movies as well as games. If it is already going to include a media player to play movies (which seems reasonable since even the GP2X includes it), then simply add a remote OR device drivers for usb/bluetooth remotes to make it practical and more appealing. Likewise, if you're going to have Wifi, then let it surf the Net with support for Flash 9 since so many sites use Flash 9.

As for trying to get device drivers to work, no potential customer is going to want to mess with that. If the device drivers don't exist (whether it be for off the shelf usb or bluetooth remotes) for the gadget, people will simply move along and find something that works right off the bat.

Furthermore, everyone knows that Gizmondo failed because the company was being run by a crook, the product was poorly designed, and it was ridiculously expensive. Again, the team that is working on the Craiginator has the potential to design something that will appeal to a broader segement of the market which, in turn, will translate to more sales. If you don't think so, that's your opinion, but I think otherwise! In the same manner, if the team that is working on the Craiginator doesn't think that my suggestions are of any value, then that's fine too since the Menlow platform is arriving during the same timeframe.

Lastly, I'll end my discussion and suggestions in the words of a tech journalist: "Mark my words: in 2008, you'll see x86 processors win the first few major battles in a multiyear war to displace the likes of ARM, PowerPC, and MIPS in the pockets, purses, and briefcases of everyone from corporate executives to mall-hopping Paris Hilton wannabes. 2008 will be the year of the must-have x86-based ultramobile PC (UMPC) and mobile Internet device (MID)...." (source: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu...Blackberry.ars)

Squidge said:
funtasticguy said:
The remote is not for the hand held. Instead, the remote will only be used when the hand held is hooked to the TV to watch movies. While watching movies may not be for all, there is a market of portable media devices that hook up to the TV. These portable media players come with remotes that people use when they watch their digital movies (i.e. Archos, Cowon, etc.).
Personally, if I want to play a movie at home, I use the dvd player rather than a portable device with a usb host, power adaptor, bluetooth dongle/etc all dangling of it.

The dvd player comes with it's own remote control, is in a suitable form for placing under the tv, has SD card and USB host sockets for plugging harddrives into, accepts DVD disks as a bonus, and cost about £30. A little cheaper than a £200 Craiginator with ~£50 of required extras.

Yes, the DVD player seems on the surface practical but if you want to play downloaded Divx/Xvid movies, then it won't be too practical to constantly burn CDs or DVDs (even if the DVD player plays DivX/Xvid files). Indeed, there's a great number of people that watch more downloaded movies than DVD movies which, in turn, explains the Archos, Cowon, etc. market.

You've mentioned you've got a lot of stuff ready for the device, and you'll release it when it's ready etc. etc.

but can we please just have a little bit of information? a sneak preview photo, something just to make this seem more real, maybe releasing the real name of the device? i've been following the 'craiginator' for a month or so now (first post :)) and it looks great- but I really hope this whole project doesn't just turn into vapourware..
thanks!

yodaofborg said:
Why wouldnt you need a RTC with Wifi? If you mean due to Internet time, most time servers want your device you have at least the correct date or they will not sync your device. Plus, not everywhere is a wifi hotspot, how annoying would it be to have your PDA not know what time it is, cos you cant get on the net? ;)
You got a point I figured that already, I just figured for at least time the updates for wifi are not constent they are just occasional once you reached a hotspot or a open wireless router (there everywhere here in the U.S.-gotta love old people with money)

cappuchok said:
funtasticguy said:
As for the BOB, I have read the specs and know that the Craignator will have a TV-out function. However, having TV out will not be sufficient if you don't have a remote to control the device from your couch. You can't underestimate the importance of having a remote.
Oh, and I wouldn't be without an RTC in such an otherwise complete device (especially given it's potential for PDA functions), getting the time via WiFi can't replace having a real RTC since you can't really expect that you'll always be in a spot where there's open WiFi access. If it turns out this device doesn't have an RTC, that might just be a deal breaker in my book.

Thats why I want it

God Ginrai said:
A_SN said:
yodaofborg said:
Even if the device didn't have a RTC that Internet thing wouldn't be a problem with NTP ;). Fortunately it will have a RTC.

And yeah VoIP would be nice, I'm afraid we'll have to use USB ADCs tho :-(

... when did Craig or the others guarantee RTC? I don't remember them ever responding to anyone's posts about it.

-God Ginrai

Just thought I asked since I rarely if any heard anybody talking about it.

Stealth Bagel said:
This discussion is freakin' ridiculous. It's a handheld, not a PVR, and it's not like you're going to have some enormous hard drive on it, it'll be an SD card. If you want to set up bluetooth remotes and struggle to get drivers working and rig up a USB HDD and all this other crap.... do it on your own time. Projects like this get ruined by trying to be a jack of all trades and turning out a master of none.... I think the Gizmondo is one of the best examples of this. Next someone will suggest using this thing to make breakfast....
Agreed, I thought the craiginator was intended to be a portable gaming machine, with multimedia features, not a home entertainment system?

Gaming should be a priority, the limit for me is the QWERTY keyboard- I would be wary about including this, the buttons would have to be tiny and pretty difficult to use as additional gaming buttons- granted it would have a many benefits for surfing the internet etc. But it'll be pretty difficult to implement effectively and usefully on such a small device.

pupnik said:
Most posters here don't know the first thing about general-purpose mobile OS's. Accordingly, their opinions on what a craigulator OS should look like are worth less than two electrons.

Before you hit reply to flame me on that, please consider first whether that applies to you. If you haven't been involved with other mobile linux OSes, you don't have a clue about the issues that have been dealt with over and over again.
Wow! I'm sure I will love any UI that you develop for this device. :) Seriously.

It's probably unnecessary, but in my case at least, I've just been suggesting nice UI models that might be copied at some point in the future. Steal from the best, then improve. Rather than reinventing the wheel, it's best to steal the look and feel of a polished and popular product (all together now). Take advantage of their many millions of dollars worth of usability testing.

hlide said:
A_SN said:
ooooh i do now see why some people call you a skinhead :p (looking at your picture on the left)

no wonder :rolleyes:

lol no, Orkie does and that's because he saw me on MySpace with pretty short hair so he thinks I'm a hooligan :)

God Ginrai said:
Many moons ago! In the other thread iirc. The OMAP 3430 has a RTC, doesn't it? (after all, it's a SoC designed for cell phones, so why shouldn't it?)

garzyboi said:
when people try to make the thing sound like its going to cater to every joe-schmoe on the block what do you expect.

I agree. This device shouldn't be targeted at Joe or Jane Schmoe. After all, they only comprise about 75% of the human population of this planet (and I think I'm being conservative). They should aim for, oh, I don't know, say a GP2X user sized market. :)
garzyboi said:
VoIP see here we go again...
Yes, VoIP has been discussed before including what needs to be ported to allow it. However, I was surprised to find nothing anywhere about a mic input on the device. I guess I should just assume that the seriously smart people designing this wouldn't omit a mic input on such a powerful multimedia device. Assumed...
garzyboi said:
me personally I could care less what it looks like...
Same here, it will blow everything else away regardless.

regardless of what the craig is intended for, people are always going to be using it for other stuff. When the xbox was hacked people used it as a media center and all sorts of things microsoft never intended it to be used for. As long as the craig is flexible (usb host, etc.) It could do very well.
Keep in mind that the gp2x was marketed as a movie player, mp3 player etc. and did pretty good.

RTC = yes!
IrDA = no
Bluetooth = no, but maybe some day if demand is high and we can keep the cost down
Microphone = yes
RS-232 = yes (well, it is CMOS levels, need external converter so actually this is just a UART controller)

Heat your coffee and maybe fry an egg = yes :) (USB Host can source 500mA @ 5V so you can do it but your battery life will take a hit!) ;)

Uart could be used for development purposes and maybe adding your own remote controller using IR detectors.

The USB Host port is going to have all kinds of versatility since it is powered so the sky is the limit as long as we can get drivers.

funtasticguy said:
Now, then, if you think that a great number of people are going to be willing to pay over $300 for a strictly gaming device that mainly plays emulators and homebrew, then you're sadly mistaken!
I guess we'll see sometime next year won't we? :)

Craig has already said no bluetooth built in so I don't really see the need for this argument (whole bluetooth argument, both sides of it)

The best part about this whole thread is how it matches the one when the iPod was first released (or shortly before) and people were discussing the inevitable success/fail they felt was going to happen. I hardly see why anyone can 'know' what specifically will make this succeed or fail.

*eats popcorn*

MWeston said:
RTC = yes!
IrDA = no
Bluetooth = no, but maybe some day if demand is high and we can keep the cost down
Microphone = yes
RS-232 = yes (well, it is CMOS levels, need external converter so actually this is just a UART controller)
Heat your coffee and maybe fry an egg = yes :) (USB Host can source 500mA @ 5V so you can do it but your battery life will take a hit!) ;)

Uart could be used for development purposes and maybe adding your own remote controller using IR detectors.

The USB Host port is going to have all kinds of versatility since it is powered so the sky is the limit as long as we can get drivers.

This sounds more encouraging! Thanks for updating us!

prairiefire said:
funtasticguy said:
Now, then, if you think that a great number of people are going to be willing to pay over $300 for a strictly gaming device that mainly plays emulators and homebrew, then you're sadly mistaken!
I guess we'll see sometime next year won't we? :)

Craig has already said no bluetooth built in so I don't really see the need for this argument (whole bluetooth argument, both sides of it)

The best part about this whole thread is how it matches the one when the iPod was first released (or shortly before) and people were discussing the inevitable success/fail they felt was going to happen. I hardly see why anyone can 'know' what specifically will make this succeed or fail.

*eats popcorn*

The big difference between the Craiginator and the iPod is that the iPod is made by Apple and Apple already had a large fan base. The Craiginator only has the GP2X and GP32 fan base. Both fan bases have a huge gap between them.

Now, then, the fact that it has recently been stated that it will have a lot of flexibility automatically means that people will probably add more features than its original design and thereby making more appealing to more people. That's encouraging! And trust me, I do want it to succeed!
a

quick question: have you guys looked into led backlighting for this thing? none of that fancy rgb stuff, just a basic white. i have no idea of the bulk pricing on such components but the heat and power reduction would certainly be welcome.

other than that, it really sounds like it could go far. i dug my gp2x out of a dusty corner a few days ago and was sad to discover that the crappy stick no longer registered left at all, so those analogue.. nipples? are already a major selling point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back