Out Of Date Wiki's

Kumaki

There are so many great emulators out there, but the Wiki's are not being kept up to date as far as what games work and what games don't.

If there is interest in this...as a way of giving back to this community, since I can't code for squat...I'd be willing to come up with a publicly-viewable spreadsheet that shows what games work with what emulators.

If any of you are familiar with EditGrid...it's an online Spreadsheet program.

So, what I could do is, starting just from scratch...start making lists of all the emulators, and what games work with them.

My idea would be, rather than list each individual emu under it's own tab...instead have each SYSTEM which is emulated, have a tab...the tab would list all the games that work...and then, it would also show which emu's it works on. for example, there is, like, more than one NES emu. so I'd have a tab for NES - list the games that work...and alongside each game...note which emu's are known to work with that game.

Does this seem too ambitious a project for one person? Could there be some collaboration, maybe?

I'd just like to see a definitive list of all games that work with all systems.

I'm not sure whether a compatibility list for emulators makes sense.

There are over 30,000 games you can emulate - impossible to test them all.

And a lot of emulators have a compatibility of over 99%... so most should work without any issues.

But the Wiki pages need some love, yes.

Maybe you could create pages explaining the various emulators, how well they work, etc. and maybe list games that don't work :)

I'm not sure whether a compatibility list for emulators makes sense.

There are over 30,000 games you can emulate - impossible to test them all.

And a lot of emulators have a compatibility of over 99%... so most should work without any issues.

But the Wiki pages need some love, yes.

Maybe you could create pages explaining the various emulators, how well they work, etc. and maybe list games that don't work :)

All right. Perhaps that could be done.

It would help me if people were willing to PM me...with any games that don't work - or issues they have had with games, and what they did to make them work.

I'd like to start with doing an emu, describe it briefly, along with the basic controls for it...and then list any games that are known to not work, or need fiddling.

When I finish that, I could submit it for your review...see if you like the format...and if so, then I could create a Wiki accoutn on the pandorawiki, and put it up.

Then I would have a format to follow for the other pages.

So...for starters, just because it is my favorite, I will start with PicoDrive.

SO...anyone with any issues about PicoDrive, games that do not work, etc...maybe could PM these to me...so that these pages do not get cluttered.

Then, when finished, I could use this thread to announce the next page I would be working on.

I'd also like to credit each coder who brought us the emu being discussed.

Another way this could be done...would be a Wiki page on each KIND of emulation, and mention each emu that does it...because, for example, there are more than one NES emu.

Let me know your thoughts on which way would be better. I'm leaning towards the second way...because people new to the community would know what system they wanted to emulate...but maybe not the name of the emu.

For example, I would know I wanted to emulate Sega Genesis...but not that the emu was called PicoDrive.

This will be my way of giving back to this community, since I really do not have skill as a coder.

Well I would suggest starting a thread for each emulator type and asking for screenshots / savestates then you can upload them to the wiki.

I did help manage http://compat.daedalusx64.com It became inaccurate over time and people would not check games with other settings and generally had frameskip high so it got confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
ED I updated the Debian on SD wiki a few months ago, but my changes vanished when you undid wiki updates due to spam. Are you able to able to restore that from a backup like you mentioned previously?

Well I would suggest starting a thread for each emulator type and asking for screenshots / savestates then you can upload them to the wiki.

I did help manage http://compat.daedalusx64.com It became inaccurate over time and people would not check games with other settings and generally had frameskip high so it got confusing.

That was what I had in mind...like, one page for all NES Emu's...and mention each one...etc.

Back