Outrun On The Megadrive/genesis

White Demon

Sandy Wich's Boy
Website
Visit site
Before I ask my question, yes this IS ROM releated, but I'm not lloking for any links or anything.

Now....

I've seen roms for the Megadrive/Genesis version of Outrun at a number of site, but on every site I've tried they only have versions that have the Japanese course layout (with courses in a different order to the version most of us would have played in the Arcade, which is the 'overseas' version).

All I am asking is - is there acutally an overseas version of Outrun available for the MD? And if so, does anyone know if it's anywhere on the web (or P2P) at all? Again, I'm not asking for any links, just to see if it is actually out there or not.

ratx posted on Mar 2 2005 at 11:33 PM said:
If you're legally entitled to play the game, you'd know the answer to this question ;)

Well I've seen PAL releases of this game on ebay before (the actual MD cart) but again, I don't wanna bid unless I know I'm gonna get the version I want and not what I've already got in ROM form.

Yes Trooper and Mattmagoo, I've got both of those. I guess I'll have to settle on the PC Engine version then.

Last edited by a moderator:
how bout the arcade version? i forgto the name of that arcade platform it was on...

Well I've got the MAME version on PC, but I think most people here realise where it's going.... I want to play on the GP32 eventually. And I don't think Fanxis's mame port will run it (IIRC Franxis said his port won't run system16 games) and *if* ryleh's port is of mame his probably won't run it very good (if at all).

If anyone could tell me about the PAL MD carts of Outrun (there's a few on ebay right now) are still a conversion of the Jap version or overseas version (in relation to course layout) then I may bid on them (and then reasearch on how to convert it to rom form).

Other than that, I'll play the PC Engine version.

good luck dumping those md carts, as i think you may need to buy extra hardware to do that. if i were you i'd just buy it and download the rom image online. i don't know if that's 100% legal, but it sure as hell should be.

another thing to try maybe is to download that pal rom image first, test it, and if it IS what you're looking for then go ahead and buy the game :D

i'd imagine if you had a few versions of the ROMS (jap, euro, US) and they all have the jap track layout, that you won't find an actual cartridge with what you want on it...

That is weird, i had the game and i just tried the roms online and you are right, they have the course set up wrong, even the euro version which is in KMH instead of MPH is wrong.

Oh another note try entering 'Ending' as your name on the highscore board to see an alternative ending which isn't in the game, complete with full screen picture.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Back