Ouya - Android based open gaming console

...I know not a lot round here are fans of them, but those cheap chineese android handhelds are helping the situation, they all use those standard button mappings...

Agree. When I mean alternatives currently available to Ouya I mean those and the Russian ones.

They seem to have their share of problems but I believe they do help the scene.

Hearing unconfirmed rumors that the Ouya will use the T33 Tegra 3 chip which runs at 1.6Ghz per core.

That link doesn't seem to work for me. The page it brings up has no reference to Ouya ?

Lots of large game companies saying they like this, some are announcing porting their existing Android games (for those who don't know FF3 is on Android already), but I wonder how many will be ready to put any kind of new money towards it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. Same processor as the Asus Transformer Infinity.. Well once I get that at least I know most of the Ouya hyped stuff will run on it fine.

Lots of large game companies saying they like this, some are announcing porting their existing Android games (for those who don't know FF3 is on Android already), but I wonder how many will be ready to put any kind of new money towards it..
It would be already a huge success if game companies would "just" port their "old stuff" to our Pandora. ;) But we are far away from this, sadly.

Its official now, you just need a pile of money and a drm stuffed selling mechanism and the big companies will bite ;)

It would be already a huge success if game companies would "just" port their "old stuff" to our Pandora. ;) But we are far away from this, sadly.

But devices that run normal Android don't need to have Android devices ported to them.

Hopefully OUYA is using the standard Android gamepad interfaces (no idea if they have anything in there for analog yet) and this is what games will adapt to, being as usable on any Android device with real gaming controls. While of course still releasing a special OUYA version just to get on their store.

I don't think they will get a share of playstorepurchases, so that would make a lot of sense.

If you have stock android on the oya platform, what should prevent people of using the google store to get their games?

If the normal android versions would work with the pad, there wouldn't be the need for a second store. But they won't make money themselves, if people buy from the googlestore or do I understand something wrong here?

If you have stock android on the oya platform, what should prevent people of using the google store to get their games?

If the normal android versions would work with the pad, there wouldn't be the need for a second store. But they won't make money themselves, if people buy from the googlestore or do I understand something wrong here?

See, I didn't know if the "they" you were referring to was the game developers or OUYA themselves.

I've actually been trying to figure out who gets the 30% on Googleplay. Google says it goes to the "distribution partner." I think this means that the hardware manufacturer or the service provider are eligible for some percentage of this money, but probably have to buy into it somehow. I don't know if anyone gets any money at all when you make a purchase from a device that doesn't officially support Googleplay.

But yes, it stands to reason that at the very least OUYA makes more money selling things on their store than they would from users buying from Googleplay, if they can make anything there at all. And from everything I've read I don't think OUYA will come with Googleplay, although you can probably get a custom ROM with it. Now could you get one with both it and the OUYA store? It could be difficult at least.

Yes, i seriously doubt they will bundle google play with the ouya, why include your cometition?

Hacking it in, sideloading etc shouldnt be too hard given root access, but in the process you will lose access to the ouya market. I havent seen it yet, but you can mark my word on that. Its how it works on the xperia play.

Now if you beak into it by exposing an exploit to gain root access i bet you can have both markets that way...

I am not really looking forward to the ouya exclusive apps and the fragmentation this is going to cause on the already fragmentated market place. If i can buy the same app from either market im fine with that, but if i can *only* play a certain game if i dont root id be upset... especially if i cant sideload emulators etc being stock

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Its open, isn't it? You can probably boot a custom cyanogen mod or something from network or usb while booting in the unrooted android to play the ouya store games. A bit of a pain but might be just sticking an usbstick into it.

Edit: Even the gamedevelopers could be attracted by the ouya market, if they won't take as much money from the purchases as google does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there'll be any technical challenges to getting the gamepad working outside of OUYA's standard distribution. With the reveal that it's not using Bluetooth (they just say "2.4GHz wireless", it could be something like Zigbee) that at least means that it won't work on other Android devices.

If this is an open console, I would think you can snatch the drivers from it or the whole kernel. Then use it with another android mod.

Back