Ouya - Android based open gaming console

I wonder how much they'll get.. surely the people who invested did it with the belief that they just needed to reach their goal? How much incentive is there for people to invest now?

maybe they plan on charging a subscription like xbox live to cover costs and provide the console cheap.

Don't forget to calculate in the higher backers. The average pledge of those who get one is ±$134,-. They ask a reasonable $30,- for a second blutooth-controller, so (minus fees) that's ±$90,- for the console itself. They plan to deliver in march 2013, by then the chip's starting to get old. You should compare it to current tegra2-products...

If it should fail it could make a Pandora2 project via KS a difficult challenge.

At least there are a few more articles showing up now questioning the Ouya project and if it's actually feasible.

Don't forget to calculate in the higher backers. The average pledge of those who get one is ±$134,-. They ask a reasonable $30,- for a second blutooth-controller, so (minus fees) that's ±$90,- for the console itself. They plan to deliver in march 2013, by then the chip's starting to get old. You should compare it to current tegra2-products...
This is the age old question of how powerful is powerful enough? i have the transformer prime at the moment and would be happy with it for the next two to three years processor speed is just getting out of hand now you dont need blazing speed to make good games.

If we had TV out cables, the ICP functioning as a Pandora remote control mimicking D-Pad/gaming buttons when the clamshell is closed, we'd now have this capability without the BS software racket Ouya is attempting to profit from.

Just saying.

EDIT: Thanks to Notaz for the Android work

Last edited by a moderator:
They are aleady close to $1.5Million, impressive. Seems like they have an audience for the Device, so at least from the HW side, it should be an success. If their Software plans will work, is another story of course but my guts say, this project is promising. ;)

You should trust my guts because they are the reason why I have pre ordered the Pandora in 2008 and waited 3 years with alot of patience. ;) And usualy, I'm a very impatient person. :D

Just preordered 1 wonder if itll take as long as the pandora to materialise

This is a disturbing project and could be a scam (or more likely, just misjudged).

I cannot believe Kickstarter are throwing caution to the wind here.

That spec and a *controller* cannot be done for that price.

Just start adding up the BoM, is this thing sold at a huge loss?

They have actually written 'We're figuring out how many we can make!'

Seriously? That should be part of the BoM calculations.

I suspect they are hoping for mostly huge publicity from this, and will try to deal with

the huge money pit later. Some PR company probably told them that $99 is the golden

price for an investor to pay.

No matter how I look at this I can't see how a controller like that (with all the licensed HW)

and the console (with all licences) can be done for that price, even at the most bargain

basement Chinese slave factory.

Thinking about this even further... Amazon and KS take ~10% of that money too.

So they are going to bring this in at ~$86?

Am I going mad here?
I think their a group of dreamers and theoretical tech builders with no business sense whatsoever although their idea not half bad

$2 Million and rising. On track to be the most funded project on Kickstarter ever.

There was an article I read a while back about Kickstarter projects that managed to get funding but couldn't deliver. It was by far the minority of the successfull projects of course, however I do recall there was one project that was causing big issues with people having paid up and after a long time still not receiving anything. I think that company had underestimated the costs like some do unfortunately.

They probably have the fund and the ability to push it out already, kickstarter is just a borrowing-money-in-way-advance machine.

Slightly off-topic to the thread, but will this project and the hype over it on KS have any effects on the eventual Project 3 KS? Not sure it they're similar but all the hints seem to point toward something nearby.

I am not going to invest in this Ouya thingy right yet now once after I see that these people are serious then I'll buy one oh and Craigix don't be to critical remember how people acted toward the Pandora in the beginning .

I am not going to invest in this Ouya thingy right yet now once after I see that these people are serious then I'll buy one oh and Craigix don't be to critical remember how people acted toward the Pandora in the beginning .

True, but Craig has had a lot of time to learn a lot of lessons about what it really costs to make a small console-like computer. If the people behind Ouyo can pull it off, good for them, but the price seems a bit low for what they're planning...

Back