Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Interesting story. Prom.That guy in Ocean marketing was an asshole clearly.did it screw up the avenger controller device?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ quite good, those guys are raising just about the same concerns we raised here before.

So our minds and logics are not too apart. :)

I do like the idea of the ouyeah!

But for me, it is just that it is not bringing anything new.

I'm still coming to terms that for all this time I hadn't Realised David Braben , one of the duo who brought us Elite is also a Co-founder of the Rasberry Pi. As you can tell by my avatar/thumb image I'm a huge fan of Elite, I must be slow to have missed that.

Ok, I´m backer now, just bought an OUYA. Let´s see what happens on Mar 2013. Only time will tell (I guess).

@ DisgruntleElf if they do so I WILL lobby in the opposite deriction !

According to Yves Béhar, the Ouya will be the size of a Rubik's cube.

Check the story below

http://www.gamezone....-a-rubik-s-cube

Interview with Yves below:

http://kotaku.com/59...r-questions-now

So they can't even get a render anywhere close to the right dimensions? Did they not even KNOW this at the time or are they this incompetent?

IMO making this thing a cube (no matter how small) makes no sense to begin with, I don't see the mechanical function.. it's just a weird design aesthetic.. But all this emphasis on appearance is kind of off-putting in general. Do people really care that much what this looks like, and if so why? I can see it being important for something you hold and are seen holding. Something that sits under your TV, not so much.

Maybe it's a cube so it can be used as a "bookend" for DVDs on the shelf

Edit: To be fair, looking at my XBox360 controller - if theirs is anything roughly similar, their cube looks about the size a rubiks cube would be - I think, I don't have one to hand

@Exophase

Um , If you look at the Kickstarter video , it clearly shows the Ouya cube on the desk being the size of a Rubik's cube. Even the photo shot with it behind the controller suggests it's the size of the Rubiks cube. ie, they have got the right dimensions in there rendors.

@Exophase

Um , If you look at the Kickstarter video , it clearly shows the Ouya cube on the desk being the size of a Rubik's cube. Even the photo shot with it behind the controller suggests it's the size of the Rubiks cube. ie, they have got the right dimensions in there rendors.

"Um" I'm obviously talking about the picture posted in this thread http://boards.openpa...180#entry168207

Which I already talked about later..

Yeah, the shot with it behind the controller suggests it's the size of the Rubik's cube, if the woman is the nice of a garden gnome.

That was on page 10 of this thread, we are now on page 18 - kinda explains why no one knew where you were coming from. Anyway, the way that picture is presented with the girl holding the Ouya out to the Camera, there's no way you can get any scale from it at all. Not that there's any scale accuracy even attempted to be portrayed in that shot - ie I doubt the controller is the size of a couch.

That was on page 10 of this thread, we are now on page 18 - kinda explains why no one knew where you were coming from. Anyway, the way that picture is presented with the girl holding the Ouya out to the Camera, there's no way you can get any scale from it at all. Not that there's any scale accuracy even attempted to be portrayed in that shot - ie I doubt the controller is the size of a couch.

It's too much to ask that someone keeps track of what's going on in a thread for more than a few pages? You were posting back then too you know! Do you have an attention span problem? And I don't really know where you get off saying no one knew where I was coming from when it's only you who posted this, please don't start speaking for everyone.

Your claim that no sense of scale can be portrayed in this shot is just.. I don't even.. yes, of course the controller isn't meant to be in relation to the woman, but when a person is portrayed holding something that gives a pretty straightforward impression of relation. I really, really don't think you sincerely looked at that picture and saw a portrayal of the console that's much bigger than a Rubik's Cube, but here you are arguing against me anyway.. are you really so invested in this product that you're not willing to admit even the most tangential of marketing errors?

I'm just saying she is portrayed as holding the Ouya out to the Camera, you cannot judge any scale what so ever from that. ie any thing you hold up close to the camera and away from you is going to look huge in comparison to you. No, I don't have an attention span that goes back 8 pages.

vcoleiro, what you're saying doesn't make any sense. Unless she's portrayed as using telekensis to project the OUYA in front of her with her hand contact merely being an optical illusion we can establish that her hands, which are touching the unit, are a reference point for the unit's size. It's obvious from where her hands are and the size of her hands that there's no intention for her to be holding the thing out far in front of her.

Actually the whole photo makes no sense, the Ouya seems to be floating in front of her, there's no sense her hands are on it at all . Also, her eye's are not focussed on it but off to the side. Just a bad photo

Well it's obviously a render that has pasted in the photo, it isn't going to be perfect. But I think it's pretty clearly meant to show her right hand supporting the OUYA's corner and her left hand laid flat underneath it. I don't get the impression that the OUYA's floating at all.

Clearly the model struck a pose holding nothing and they sized in the OUYA to fit the picture. While making the picture someone really should have said "hey, your imaginary OUYA is way too big." If not then, when putting the thing in someone should have said "hey, this makes the OUYA look freaking huge!".. they really should have thrown the whole thing out sooner than going with it.

Back